SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturn Launches Ad Campaign to Reassure Customers

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Saturn Launches Ad Campaign to Reassure Customers

Quote:
It's only been a few hours since I first saw the new "We're Still Here" television ad, and the New York Times already has an indepth article about Saturn's brand-new campaign. The story not only discusses that particular ad, but it also takes a look at some of the other spots featuring retail store owners in Saturn's attempt to reassure customers that the brand is still in business.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn Launches Ad Campaign to Reassure Customers

It's just plain sad and embarrassing that Saturn has reached the point where they are spending money to say "we're still here". I have to wonder if this ad will have a reverse effect from the intended goal. If I knew little about a car company and saw an ad saying "we're still here", I think I might give them a broad pass when searching for a new vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

"The campaign is intended to tackle the "issue of trust" that may arise in these circumstances, Ms. McGill said, as many marketers caught up in the economic turmoil find it necessary to reassure consumers. The Saturn campaign, scheduled to run through early May, is being timed to arrive with spring, usually a good sales season."

Some years back, Avis ran a very successful ad campaign in which they acknowledged that Hertz was the #1 rental car agency and Avis was only #2, coming up with the "We try harder" slogan. Sometimes coming forth with an honest and candid statement puts the target audience a little more at ease and willing to hear you out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Some years back, Avis ran a very successful ad campaign in which they acknowledged that Hertz was the #1 rental car agency and Avis was only #2, coming up with the "We try harder" slogan. Sometimes coming forth with an honest and candid statement puts the target audience a little more at ease and willing to hear you out.
That was in 1962...it's 47 years later...Avis is now #1 (But they had to merge with #4 Budget to do it) Of course Hertz was also owned at one point by GM and later, Ford...which could explain a lot..(LOL)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy7 View Post
It's just plain sad and embarrassing that Saturn has reached the point where they are spending money to say "we're still here". I have to wonder if this ad will have a reverse effect from the intended goal. If I knew little about a car company and saw an ad saying "we're still here", I think I might give them a broad pass when searching for a new vehicle.
Sometimes even "bad" press is good press. And for some that don't even know who Saturn is, it might prompt them to find out. Personally, I think it's a good, bold move on their part, but as stated in another post, I hope there is supporting product line ads to SHOW people what Saturn has to offer other than still being here doing business.

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Gee. Historically bad marketing followed by...more extremely despirate bad marketing. What a surprise! All GM is doing is trying to cut their losses. We need to face the facts - Saturn is beyond life support - brain dead - it's a goner.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

There was a nice looking ad recently about how Saturn buys the competitors vehicles to compare them to the Aura. It was a slick commercial, but could have run when Aura came out.

I remember in the mid 90's I was wanting to buy a new truck as cheap as possible. A Nissan dealer advertised one and I went the address listed in the ad and the dealership had moved. I bought a Mazda instead. The problem I see with Saturn is trying to instill trust when there are weekly dealership closings and the word bankruptcy being mentioned in the same sentence with GM.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

A lot of people, if they get taken in by these desperation ads, are going to find that their Saturn dealers are no longer here when they go looking!

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

At the same time they are advertising "we're still here", dealerships are closing on a daily basis. What kind of mixed message is that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I liked the ad. I saw it several times on TNT in Seattle.

One of the best ads they made in quite some time.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Inappropriate comment deleted by administrator.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
At the same time they are advertising "we're still here", dealerships are closing on a daily basis. What kind of mixed message is that?
I don't think its mixed at all considering the economy. Stores, businesses, and car dealers of all makes are struggling to stay open. Unfortunately, some folks -- even a few very vocal SaturnFans members -- confuse some Saturn store closings with the company going out of business!! What's wrong with Saturn going on the offensive and telling consumers that, despite what they may have read or heard, Saturn is not dead? I think its a smart move.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Dizzy Re: Saturn Launches Ad Campaign to Reassure Customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCarcrazy View Post
Gee. Historically bad marketing followed by...more extremely despirate bad marketing.
What was so bad about that commercial? I think its a pretty smart move considering everything that's going on in the industry.

Quote:
We need to face the facts - Saturn is beyond life support - brain dead - it's a goner.
Says who? Last I heard, Saturn was working on spinning itself off from GM, becoming independent, and working on a viable business plan for the future. That's far from dead! Please stop posting WRONG information as if it were fact.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy7 View Post
Well, just look at some of the posts around here. Some very vocal members have already declared the company dead. What is Saturn supposed to do? Sit back and watch as the media, critics, and those select few upset fans write their obituary? I think setting the record straight in the form of a new ad campaign is a smart move and the right thing to do.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
TiVoPrince
TiVoPrince is on a distinguished road

Depressing
that when I see the current Saturn advertisment it feels like a preview of a 2011 Buick (Opel rebadge) commercial...

I support Saturn but as a corporaion they need to grab the rudder and demonstrate the ability to steer this boat without the GM umbrella. Two years is a really short time to develop an entirely new car so a rebadge may be the only option to save the Saturn brand until they can actually build 'something different'. Returning to polymer or other radical changes may be a 2015 possibility, but Saturn has to survive until 2015 for that to happen. The 2012 model year is already approaching fast...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TiVoPrince's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TiVoPrince reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TiVoPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Inappropriate comment deleted by administrator.
Tisk Tisk Wolfie...

These ads are too little, too late. GM neglected the brand for too long and abandoned the core concepts it was founded on (along with the following) for a mainstream market that didn't exist for its product mix of re-badged GM product.

With dealers closing faster than they can move the cars off the lot, I just cannot fathom how anyone can see this ad as anything but a desperate ploy with no substance behind it other than the stimulus money that likely paid for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Well, just look at some of the posts around here. Some very vocal members have already declared the company dead. What is Saturn supposed to do? Sit back and watch as the media, critics, and those select few upset fans write their obituary? I think setting the record straight in the form of a new ad campaign is a smart move and the right thing to do.

Charlie
...What he said...
...some soberingnews...
...have a better idea?...
...whatwouldyoudoifyouwereinthierposition...
...hindsight is 20/20...
...ev3ry1izam0nDayarmmcHair1/4back...
...capiche?....

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #18
wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
Tisk Tisk Wolfie...

These ads are too little, too late. GM neglected the brand for too long and abandoned the core concepts it was founded on (along with the following) for a mainstream market that didn't exist for its product mix of re-badged GM product.

With dealers closing faster than they can move the cars off the lot, I just cannot fathom how anyone can see this ad as anything but a desperate ploy with no substance behind it other than the stimulus money that likely paid for it.
Wow, that line gets harder to spot with every passing week...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Roll Eyes Re: Saturn Launches Ad Campaign to Reassure Customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
Tisk Tisk Wolfie...

piney, just curious, I have been reading lots of dealerships in the NE US and Canada closing, but none in FL. Florida has one of the largest bases of Saturn retailers. What FL dealers are "closing faster than they can move the cars off the lot"? Just curious because I am not aware of any, did I miss something? As you live in FL and I used to we are both familiar as to what stores are around, especially South FL. Has Saturn of Miami Dade or Broward or WPB or Stuart or Vero or the many dealerships on the W. Coast or Central FL closed lately that I have missed?

From what I know there are still around 400 stores very much still open scattered about the US. The commercial is just telling people that Saturn IS still open, there is no hidden context to it and it is intended to counter all the negative hype and premature-death tolling. Some specific dealers have closed their Saturn stores, but Saturn itself is still very much alive.

As far as WHY certain Saturn dealerships are closing, please read this post:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135558

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

Last edited by marx404; 03-20-2009 at 08:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #20
NotSaturnSales1
NotSaturnSales1 is on a distinguished road

I think Piney was refering to the fact that Saturn has recently seen a number of its dealers close or consolidate nationally. The past three weeks have seen numerous dealers give up and close. While many other brands are suffering, Saturn, Saab & Hummer have been especially hard hit by the General Motors announcement of a future without them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotSaturnSales1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotSaturnSales1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotSaturnSales1 is offline   Reply With Quote