SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: OBD II to USB laptop

Does this read the gm wrench codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

Your question lacks requisite specificity.
Lego reports that the hardware adapter, which includes a PIC programmable chip , does have some functionality , as exhibited by several 'demo' sofwares.

It remains to be seen just how useful/applicable/powerful it can be-- it would be necessary to become proficient with one of the better software packages for sale.

The good news is that the device seems somewhat useful on the later vehicles, and that some of the software packages sell for about , or less than , $100.

Other proven devices work well on vehicles made before 2002....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #23
heavyd10000
heavyd10000 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMainParadox View Post
Does this read the gm wrench codes?
is that not for 95 and older vehicle's?

this is for 96 and up vehicles.

1996 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC 5 spd 184K miles (bought 02/09 - Sold 08/2010).
Bought 92 Olds 88 Royale LS - 3800 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heavyd10000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heavyd10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #24
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

no this is the newer vehicles like my 2004 vue which so far only the dealer can read those wrench codes to my knowledge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #25
LEGOManiac
LEGOManiac is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

This is only for vehicles from 1996 onward. It claims to support multiple protocols, so I suspect it will work with most vehicles, not just the newer ones. Mind you, my other car is a 1994 Sable so I can't test it on anything else unless I find someone with an older ODBII vehicle to test it on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LEGOManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LEGOManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LEGOManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #26
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

even the super expensive scanners don't do the wrench codes tho

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #27
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

I"m not sure what you mean by "wrench codes". I suspect you mean the trouble codes and accompanying history (referred to as a freeze-frame) that, when set by the vehicles engine managment system, cause the service light to come on.

Yes, the reader will read both the codes and the freeze-frame data (the values of all the sensors as they existed at the time the trouble code was triggered)

The ODBII interface is a simple interface in principal. It has (among others) a data-input line and a data output line. You input something like 0100 and it spits back a group or groups of numbers. If you're a glutton for punishment, you can actually do this manually using software that has a built-in terminal, or even Microsoft's own Hyperterminal which comes with all Windows versions except Vista. Just set it to 8-bits, No Parity, 1 stop bit (aka. 8N1), 38500baud. You would need a manual that tells you what the numbers to send should be and what the return numbers mean. That's fundamentally all the various ODBII software packages do; convert the numbers to and from human-readable text.

Unless dealers are using a physically different interface, there's nothing they would have access to that you can't do for yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LEGOManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #28
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

For what it's worth on this forum, I had the opportunity on Friday to test this code reader on a Lincoln Continental. It worked like a charm. The Lincoln, in fact, gave instantaneous fuel consumption reading which, sadly, the Vue won't do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #29
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGOManiac View Post
For what it's worth on this forum, I had the opportunity on Friday to test this code reader on a Lincoln Continental. It worked like a charm. The Lincoln, in fact, gave instantaneous fuel consumption reading which, sadly, the Vue won't do.
it will on my sl2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #30
TomM96

>it will on my sl2
"heavyd10000" ... what software pack do you use which enables the fuel comsumption readout on your SL2??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #31
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
>it will on my sl2
"heavyd10000" ... what software pack do you use which enables the fuel comsumption readout on your SL2??
proscan OBD-II

but expensive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #32
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd10000 View Post
proscan OBD-II

but expensive
ok Bought this software http://www.myscantool.com/

and will test Monday or tuesday, and will take pics or vid.

was using a friends puter with the program.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #33
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd10000 View Post
ok Bought this software http://www.myscantool.com/

and will test Monday or tuesday, and will take pics or vid.

was using a friends puter with the program.
Ok tried to use the program today, but my USB to OBD II doesnt wat to work today, dont know if it broke or not, going to open it and check wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #34
TomM96

Heavyd10000-
What part of your leg was fractured? How did do THAT?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #35
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Heavyd10000-
What part of your leg was fractured? How did do THAT?
The small bone near the ankle, in several pieces.

I get the screw that is through both bones out tomorrow.

and then back into the cast.

Ice was part the culprit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #36
TomM96

>I get the screw that is through both bones out tomorrow.
-That is an improvement! An acquaintance of mine did similar damage {and quite nearly lost his life} , if i recall in first year of 'HighSchool' ... and recovered so that later in school he was able to perform the "high jump" on the 'track and field' team , in fact jumping above the level of my head!
Only to say that hard tissue fractures often [but by no means necessarily] heal up 'good as new' , which cannot be said for the scar tissue which heals soft tissue {much less elasticity than original/OEM}. Physical Therapy regimes (originally pioneered/proven by professional athletes) can make a huge difference in healing rate , and performance after the fact.
Good luck with it .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #37
TomM96

>The Lincoln, in fact, gave instantaneous fuel consumption reading which, sadly, the Vue won't do.
- I happened upon an article of possible merit/mention:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/apr09/8370
IEEE Spectrum: A Fuel-Economy Gauge for the Rest of UsMost cars--even older, cheaper ones--control their fuel electronically. Here's how to tap into that signal.
www.spectrum.ieee.org/apr09/8370

This does not solve the problem at hand ... but may be worth reading.
T m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #38
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
>I get the screw that is through both bones out tomorrow.
-That is an improvement! An acquaintance of mine did similar damage {and quite nearly lost his life} , if i recall in first year of 'HighSchool' ... and recovered so that later in school he was able to perform the "high jump" on the 'track and field' team , in fact jumping above the level of my head!
Only to say that hard tissue fractures often [but by no means necessarily] heal up 'good as new' , which cannot be said for the scar tissue which heals soft tissue {much less elasticity than original/OEM}. Physical Therapy regimes (originally pioneered/proven by professional athletes) can make a huge difference in healing rate , and performance after the fact.
Good luck with it .
well got my cast off today, and after xrays, they didn't pull the screw out cause of an emergency surgery. But will have the screw out in the next few days - reschedule, and on the xrays it showed the bone healed completely and wont need another cast after the screw is out and will be able to start therapy.

PS: good thing for spell check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

First off,

Tom: thanks for the heads-up on the IEEE Spectrum article regarding instantaneous fuel consuption. Come to think of it, I miss Spectrum. It's been years since I let my IEEE membership lapse.

I might just buy the MPGuino interface, but first I have to get my Vue repaired.

Second,

I had looked at ProScan when trying to review various ODBII software packages for compatibility with the interface that started this thread. ProScan, however, shoots themselves in the foot by not allowing the user to demo the software without a license key. As I have an aversion to the buy-before-you-try business model, I passed it up.

Recently, a friend, who had bought ProScan for his car, heard of my efforts to evaluate this interface and let me use his copy of ProScan. It works quite well. I'm not sure I like it as much as some of the other packages, but it does work with this interface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #40
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

This weekend, I had an opportunity to test the unit out on some other makes of vehicles. I have been making an effort to expose AutoDoctor unit to as many combinations of vehicles and software as friends and neighbours will let me try so as to give readers of this thread the most amount of information possible when deciding on an ODBII reader for for their Saturns and other (lesser) cars. This unit seems like such a good deal compared to it's competitors that I felt it was worth spreading the word. However, it's just possible that my enthusiasm may be a bit premature. We may just be getting what we pay for.

This weekend I was contacted by heavyd10000, who wanted some information on the unit I have. It turns out that he bought one as well, but it smells like it burned out and doesn't work at all.

It's quite posible, then, that my unit was a fluke and that I was just lucky. I can't in good conscience continue to provide reviews for this unit and encourage people to buy it when it may have quality control issues.

I will wait to how AutoDoctor resolves heavyd10000's complaint before posting anything further. If AutoDoctor believes the units are sound and that heavyd10000's unit is just an unfortunate accident, then I'm sure they will replace it in order to restore consumer confidence. If not, well, buyer beware.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!