SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
heavyd10000
heavyd10000 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default OBD II to USB laptop

Ok i know some people would like to know more of what your cars doing, and recently I bought a OBDII to USB scanner and for a decent price of $33 USD - not $150 or 275 most places want, and it works good. Comes with programs and USB drivers.

And im not selling it, just tring to pass on a great deal. And yes it from Ebay and Hong Kong - but still works great and Cheap!!!!!!

here's the link for it - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EOBD-...1%7C240%3A1318

1996 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC 5 spd 184K miles (bought 02/09 - Sold 08/2010).
Bought 92 Olds 88 Royale LS - 3800 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heavyd10000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heavyd10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: OBD II to USB laptop

Thanks for the referral , 'HD10k' .
Based on the quality of your pix of you Saturn , i decided to order one too 0--
It is the only cheap interface i know of which promises to interpret the new CAN.
You might want to mention this in the 'S'-series Saturn 'Tech' forum , as some others would be interested , i think ...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

-thanks , T m-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Here are the links fixed

here's the link for it - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EOBD-...motiveQ5fTools[/QUOTE]

and a link to the seller -
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/autodo..._sopZ12?_rdc=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
KCdave
KCdave is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I, for one, think it's cool.
I would like to see what the PCM sees.

Figuring out what that little computer wants would go a long way towards fixing and preserving the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCdave View Post
I, for one, think it's cool.
I would like to see what the PCM sees.

Figuring out what that little computer wants would go a long way towards fixing and preserving the car.
I will try to take a vid, to show how it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

please do im very intrested as well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitroussaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

Hmm, I'm really considering one of these, but only one program works for Windows Vista... Has anyone used easyobd2 before? Seems like that's the only program that would work on Windows Vista.

2001 SW2: 60k Miles @ 8/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tehSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tehSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehSaturn View Post
Hmm, I'm really considering one of these, but only one program works for Windows Vista... Has anyone used easyobd2 before? Seems like that's the only program that would work on Windows Vista.

ok here are the programs that came with the unit:

EasyOBDII - didnt work with scanner
OBD2Spy - didnt work with scanner
ScanMaster-ELM - didnt work with scanner
scantool_net113win - works - but dont download 1.14V.
wOBDCRAZY - didnt work with scanner
USB Driver's for Windows and Mac - didnt work with scanner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
LEGOManiac
LEGOManiac is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd10000 View Post
ok here are the programs that came with the unit:

EasyOBDII - didnt work with scanner
OBD2Spy - didnt work with scanner
ScanMaster-ELM - didnt work with scanner
scantool_net113win - works - but dont download 1.14V.
wOBDCRAZY - didnt work with scanner
USB Driver's for Windows and Mac - didnt work with scanner
Wow. Your're saying that none of the software it comes with actually works?

Try some of these out and kindly let us know if any of it works:

sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=OBDII

I was going to jump on this product when I first read about it here but I think I'll hold off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LEGOManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LEGOManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LEGOManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
smp7015
smp7015 is on a distinguished road

I was about to buy one also untill I read that the other programs don't work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smp7015's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smp7015 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smp7015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

Curiosity got the better of me.

I ordered this product. The price is cheap but I find the shipping to be more expensive than I would have expected. I had tried to order three units to give two as gifts figuring that, since the units are very light-weight, I'd be able to combine them in shipping but not so. So in the end, I only ordered one.

It arrived today. I installed the various software packages that came with it onto my laptop. I also downloaded and installed the various packages you can find on sourceforge.net and went out and tested them as many of them as I could get to run.

The software packages that came with the unit are mostly unlicensed demos, but most of them worked, if only partially, or with some of the sensor data removed, or with some features disabled. Several of the sourceforge.net packages worked as well. I found the laptop screen a bit difficult to read in the sunlight so I'll wait until this evening to test things more comprehensively and I'll report back on what worked and what didn't.

I should point out that the settings that on my system the interface came up as COM4 and almost all of the software had to be manually configured to use this.
COM3 also came up as being enabled on my laptop (I'm not sure why) and at least one of the packages was attempting to autoconfigure itself to use it, which it couldn't. I had to manually edit the configureation file to tell it to use COM4, after which everything went fine.

Overall, I'd have to say the unit generally works as advertised and the price was far better than what's available from Canadian Tire, et.al.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LEGOManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
TomM96

Sterling effort , Lego-
The situation when the shipping exceeds the item price ... seems to be characteristic of trading with Hong-Kongians. Probably a traditional post monopoly (but who knows!)... at least they don't ship via 'ground'.
T m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

An update on what works and what doesn't:

EasyODBII - this is a demo. It required a manual change the the config.txt file to get it to use COM4. The Dashboard and Datalogger functions only operate for about 1min in DEMO mode. Code reading and Live Data viewing works.

ODB2SPY - it looks promising but it doesn't work. One of it's features is a terminal screen that I'm assuming would let an advanced user send commands directly to the vehicles computer and see the responses. When set to automatically find the correct COM port, it finds COM3 on my laptop when COM4 is correct. I had to set it manually. It keeps saying that it can't find the ELM chip. I'll have to do some research to try and find out what that is and if there's a way I can work around it.

ScanMaster ELM - This is a DEMO but it may well be worth buying if the price is right (I haven't checked). In the DEMO mode, the following screens work:
Vehicle Info - allows you to get, among other things, the vehicle's VIN number
System Status - an overview of the vehicles health
Trouble Codes - lists the current trouble codes or confirms that all is clear
PID Config - I have no idea what this means or does.
LIve Graphs - RPM only - all other readings say "DEMO" and a flat line
Live Data Meter - RPM only - all other readings say "DEMO"
Live Data Grid - RPM only - all other readins say "DEMO"

wODBCrazy - This one works quite well but doesn't have as many features as, say, ScanMaster. It does feature an "advanced communication mode" which is a terminal to allow an advanced user to communicate directly with the vehicle's computer.

ScanTool.net_113win - This one works although it's not as slick as ScanMaster. Some of the features are not yet implemented in v.113. I haven't gone looking for a more up-to-date version yet.
It must be manually set to COM4, 38400 Baud on my laptop.

If you go to sourceforge.net and search for "OBD" you get a number of projects in various states of completion.

So far I haven't been able to get any of them to work properly.

JDash 0.9.19 seems to come close but gagged on Vista. All the windows came up transparent. I'll try it on Linux and let everyone know how I fare.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

OK. With respect to the ODB2Spy program which is looking for an ELM chip, I've answered my own question as to what that is. It's a chip made by ElmElectronics.com that comes in three flavours. It's a ODBII to RS232 converter. The disadvantage of the ELM designes is that each one works with only one implementation of ODB whereas the unit discussed in this thread supposedly does all of them. I've only ever tried it on a Vue, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

as for ScanTool.net_114 win - does not work, in the update they put something in the progam not to work with clones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #16
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

For anyone interested, I've cracked open the case of the ODBII interface. The communication with the ODBII port is handled by a PIC microcontroller. As a result, there's no easy way to tell what this thing is truly compatible with. The various software packages that are ELM compatible don't recognize it. There are two possibilities: 1) the ELM controllers communicate at 9600 Baud, which is much slower than this unit and 2) the ELM controllers, on startup, send a string of characters representing the ELM chip number and the firmware revision number.

In the first case, I haven't tried operating this ODB interface at only 9600Baud. It may not work at that speed. If not, it MAY be possible to start a program that expects an ELM controller and then, external to the program, set the Baud rate of the interface to the higher value without the program "knowing" it.

In the second case, it may be possible to manually send an initialization string to the software claiming that it's an ELM controller. I haven't tried that either yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
smp7015
smp7015 is on a distinguished road

Lego,

Could you try using it with the GLM software demo and see if it works?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smp7015's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smp7015 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smp7015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for pointing me to this new software. I downloaded it and installed it on the laptop. Yes, it does work. It requires the COM settings to be manually set to COM4, 38400 Baud. It reports that the unit is an Elm327 v1.3a when in fact it's a PIC microcontroller, probably programmed to mimic the ELM327.

Now that I know that, I'll have to have another go at the ELM-specific software that I tried earlier and see if I have to change the configuration manually to use an ELM327 v1.3a at 38400 baud. Perhaps more of the software packages will work then.

What I find really, really disappointing (and other packages had the same problem) is that you can't get a fuel consumption readout. It says "PID 0x10 MAF not available", whatever that means. Probably a measurement that the Saturn's engine doesn't provide.

Ever since I drove a Toyota Camry hybrid a couple of years ago, I've been of the impression that all cars should be required to have an instantaneous fule consumption meter. It was quite an eye-opener.

If I have to complain about anything, it's that the dashboard feature is a bit sluggish. I might have been able to improve it by selecting only the dashboard PIDs. I believe I was reading them all. I'll have a chance tomorrow to let my wife do the driving while I sit in the back and play with the software.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
LEGOManiac

2005 VUE 3.5L

There is a PID reader available from GLM for free. It doesn't require an activation code and can be downloaded here:

http://www.glmsoftware.com/downloads...7PidReader.zip

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #20
TomM96

P.I.D. represents 'proportional,integral,derivative' with respect to controllers , as process controllers , ProgrammableLogicControllers.
That is not relevant here.

PIDs are "ParameterIdentifiers" ... that is , numeric data that the OBD is designed/configured to report , and which the scanner will communicate/display.....

Thanks again , Lego !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!