SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default New TV Commercial: Saturn is Still Here

A new story entry has been added:

New TV Commercial: Saturn is Still Here

Quote:
Saturn has begun airing a new television spot assuring owners and consumers that the brand is still in business. The 30 second commercial features Saturn Franchise Operations Team (FOT) member and retail store owner, Todd Ingersoll.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: New TV Commercial: Saturn is Still Here

What, Saturn is advertising? IT'S about time. I hope they plaster this ad all over the airwaves. But it should also be supported by product line ads touting fuel economy AND all of the accolades that each model has received. That way not only do people realize they are still doing business, but what they are offering to the consumer.

It's about time the rest of the world finds out what we Saturn owners already know. And that Saturn can be a viable option for GM.

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

Last edited by ChgoBlues; 03-19-2009 at 08:04 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid it a case of "Too little too late".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

What a joke, what a waste of (taxpayers) money. All GM is trying to do with this commercial is mitigate their losses by continuing to try to trick the customer into buying a Saturn. And the only way they are going to be able to do that going forward is to discount the price for the FACT that the brand is going away and Saturn resale will be worst than it is today (ie: dropping like a rock). The Saturn dealer where I bought my Aura in May 2008, closed in November 2008 with no notice. Just a postcard after the fact telling me to drive 25 more miles to the next nearest dealer. Calling the Saturn 1-800 number, they told me to take my Saturn to any Chevrolet/Buick/Pontiac dealer for warranty work. I tried. They told me that they would be happy to service my Saturn, but that GM will NOT let them order parts directly - they have to order them through a franchised Saturn dealer - which adds some cost (for duplicate shipping and handling) and a LOT of extra time. I ordered a touch-up paint to fix a rust spot on my Aura (because the paint on the trunk is so thin, it rusted - after less than 10K miles and 2 months of winter). Saturn price - $7.99. Chevy dealer price after extra markup - $14.99 and a month later and I am still waiting. So, good luck getting your warranty covered and work done on your Saturn in a timely and cost-effective manner unless you want to drive 50 (in my case) to 150 (other board members) miles to a Saturn dealer. And it's only going to get worse as more Saturn dealers cut their losses and close. I was at my nearest Saturn dealer last week - it was a ghost town and they have many-many fewer new Saturns on the lot. When I bought my Aura, there were 200 new Aura's in the local "pool" - today there are 36. They had 100 new Outlooks, today there are 18 in stock. Looks like a "going out of business soon" inventory approach to me.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

Last edited by VWCarcrazy; 03-19-2009 at 09:00 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCarcrazy View Post
What a joke, what a waste of (taxpayers) money. All GM is trying to do with this commercial is mitigate their losses by continuing to try to trick the customer into buying a Saturn. And the only way they are going to be able to do that going forward is to discount the price for the FACT that the brand is going away and Saturn resale will be worst than it is today (ie: dropping like a rock).
VW, while your concerns are very legitimate, I fail to see any FACTS that Saturn is definitely closing, or that is Saturn intending to trick anyone. Saturn intends to stay, with or without GM. Some dealers have independently chosen to close their stores, but not Saturn. Saturn is only telling people that they are still very much alive and working on a new beginning. Business is slow everywhere, not just Saturn.

Saturn is working hard on spinning-off from GM and letting people know about their efforts. There are many reliable articles on the SaturnFans home page.

While I agree with you and others that it really stinks that so many dealers have chosen to close or consolidate their stores, it is unfair to make the assumption that all 400 US stores will be closed or that Saturn has intent to defraud anyone.

http://www.saturnfans.com/

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
alam99
alam99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

"We're still here" is not a very convincing message to potential customers. Commercials should be used to entice the viewer and draw them to their products and / or sales experience. If Saturn wanted to give a "we're still here" message, it should be done with interviews where a longer, more thorough message can be presented with details supporting why Saturn will still be around in the future (by listing/boasting all they've done in the last 20 years, for example).

This reminds me of two advertising slogans that began a couple of years ago by Toyota and Ford. Toyota used "Moving Forward" while Ford used "The Way Forward". Toyota's simple phrase invoked an image of advancement. Ford's message seemed to say "we're in a bit of a bind, but we've come up with a way out."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alam99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alam99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCarcrazy View Post
What a joke, what a waste of (taxpayers) money.
Right on! Your tax $$$ at work (not!). Does as much for Saturn owners as AIG's bonuses did for the taxpayers - nothing, that is.

When you have to advertise to remind folks you still exist, it's time to pull the covers over the dead body. Saturn retailers (the smart ones, at least) seem to be realizing this and are making the correct business decision to cut and run - we can't blame them for what is GM's failure to develop and promote the Saturn brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
TaylorMutts
TaylorMutts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
When you have to advertise to remind folks you still exist, it's time to pull the covers over the dead body.

I respectfully disagree with your statement. These are crazy times and the sensationalism from the media has caused the buying public to think the worst. Saturn is diligently working on a way to spin-off from GM. From what I read lately, Saturn is pretty close to doing just that. As a result, advertising aimed at the American public is necessary to show them that Saturn is still in business. Can you really fault Saturn for trying to drive some business? This thing is far from over, contrary to what some on this forum would like to believe.

As Marx404 stated, these are tough times for all auto manufacturers. The entire US market is down 40%. With few exceptions, all manufacturers are feeling the pain of this economic crisis.

Forums like this are great fun for the voyeurs who like to play out the dooms day scenarios. They are the same people who see a car accident, marvel over the carnage, but do nothing to help the victims. Like Marx404, I choose to remain optimistic. It's OK to cry in YOUR beer--just don't cry in mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TaylorMutts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TaylorMutts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TaylorMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

Inappropriate comment deleted by administrator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoBlues View Post
What, Saturn is advertising? IT'S about time.
Really.
I have yet to see an ad specifically for the Astra.
And they wonder why dealers have dozens unsold on their lots...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Good idea, I guess. I just hope it's not too late..

I have this feeling that the damage may already be done. I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a Saturn now, but obviously the public feels different about that these days.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
CurveConcept
CurveConcept is on a distinguished road

Inappropriate comment deleted by administrator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CurveConcept's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CurveConcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Ingersoll owns the 2nd closest dealer to me. (Danbury)
I guess it means if my dealer closes, I'll end up there, and they should be around right till the end.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Ingersoll owns the 2nd closest dealer to me. (Danbury)
I guess it means if my dealer closes, I'll end up there, and they should be around right till the end.
The end of what?

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
I'm afraid it a case of "Too little too late".
Nah, its never too late. Saturn has good product and good retailers. What's wrong with letting the world know that they're still in business? I think its a good move.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: New TV Commercial: Saturn is Still Here

Yeah, I have also been seeing Saturn commercials on the TV. I was like "Wow" is what i said to my self..... I see more Saturn commercials then Hyundai Genesis commercials.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Devil Re: New TV Commercial: Saturn is Still Here

My view of advertizing is for:
1. you telling people what they want to hear
2. so they buy what they don't need

or put another way:
advertizing is take a whole truth and splitting it in to 2 more pallatable half truths. such as lite beer ads, (famously) "tastes great, less filling." Right?!? It still tastes awful and still makes you fat if you drink enough!

"We are still here!" - you fill in the rest -

So, who are we? And where is "here"!

I hope that the answers are:
1. we are the import fighters that Skip wanted us to be! American pride and workmanship on display!
2. And here is "the US of A" where we (Americans) design, build, and back up the the best damn cars in the world! bar none.

Bring the world on!

That is my vision of who we are and what we are to be!

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
NotSaturnSales1
NotSaturnSales1 is on a distinguished road

I'm not a fan of the we're still here commercial, I think it sends the wrong message but the other two are great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotSaturnSales1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotSaturnSales1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotSaturnSales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #19
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Checkered Flag Re: New TV Commercial: Saturn is Still Here

I think what they are saying by "Saturn is Still Here" is that many people are under the impression from all the negative press, speculation and negative chatter that all Saturn stores are already closed. Business is slow right now and Saturn wants people to know they intend to see a future. I think the commercials are eh~ but I am glad to see commercials, any commercials right now.

Being that I count over 400 stores in the US still open for business and around 40 US stores closed to date, I can see the point of honestly letting people know Saturn is Still Here. We are.

What the future holds is another story. Who knows?

If I only knew, if we only knew, we should all go out and buy winning lottery tickets right now if we think we can predict the future.

Hopefully "Saturn is Still Here" falls into place with their upcoming announcement.

Saturn is Still Here. We are.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote