SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
JeffTheJoc
JeffTheJoc is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Suddenly Low Oil

Today while driving, my oil light flashed on a couple times just for a second. My 2002 Vue has never burned or leaked any oil in the past, but I decided I better check it out. The dipstick read zero. So I added a quart and checked again. The dipstick read zero again. Now I added a second quart and the dipstick still reads zero. How is that possible? The oil was changed at the dealership last fall... just 2000 miles ago.

Please visit Jeffery's Junction for Vintage Glass, Art Pottery, and LP Records:
www.jefferysjunction.ecrater.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JeffTheJoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JeffTheJoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JeffTheJoc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Suddenly Low Oil

There are approximately 287 ways this could be possible, but I'll start with the top one rather than building up to it; The mechanic at the dealer left the drain plug loose or stripped it by overtightening and your oil leaked out. Or, the engine has developed an oil leak. Or, the mechanic didn't put enough oil in. Or, well, you get the picture. You actually have to check your oil every time you fill the gas tank to avoid oil problems. Sudden leaks do not always let you know they're happening. I hope you caught yours in time to avoid engine damage!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Ltech20
Ltech20 is on a distinguished road

If your someplace that it gets cold its quite common in the older 2.2 motors for the front crank seal to freeze and pop out causing massive oil loss very quickly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ltech20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ltech20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ltech20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

If you have a 3.0 V6, check to see if it went into the coolant via a bad oil cooler

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

There's also that cold-weather oil leak in the early V6 where the PCV hose to the throttle body gets condensation in it and freezes, resulting in positive crankcase pressure which forces oil out at every seal and gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote