SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturn Approached by GM Competitors About Selling Cars Under the Saturn Brand

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Saturn Approached by GM Competitors About Selling Cars Under the Saturn Brand

Quote:
David Barkholz from Automotive News: Steve Girsky, long-time industry consultant who is leading GM's task force, declined to name which automakers have talked to the group. He called the inquiries "informal." Girsky said in an interview today that the task force is assessing whether a spin-off could procure enough product and sell enough vehicles to make it viable for the 400 Saturn dealers now operating.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Saturn Approached by GM Competitors About Selling Cars Under the Saturn Brand

Isn't that more like 300 now?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Saturn Approached by GM Competitors About Selling Cars Under the Saturn Brand

Errmm

Are there still even 400 dealerships? With all of the closings of Saturn Dealerships recently....are there still 400 dealerships to speak of?

Just curious.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
nomoresaturn
nomoresaturn is on a distinguished road

The Saturn dealerships are falling fast. I have followed this site since I started selling Saturns over a year ago. I worked for a dealer group who was one of the first to own a Saturn dealership. He repeatedly said he was committed to Saturn and the future.

Yesterday he came in and shut us down (30 day notice) and three of his other Saturn dealerships. He is leaving two of them open because he recently combined them with BPC. He told us during his meeting with Saturn, that there was not going to be a viable option for the future of Saturn. He told us that during his meetings with Saturn, there were people interested, but no one was able to get financing.

I have always tried to refrain from commenting negative, but I think the writing is on the wall. For my dealer group to close Saturn now says alot. (Considering they were on the cover of time magazine for being the best dealer group in the states not to long ago!)

If there was some sort of option out there, be it selling a different car, or some sort of experimental option, he would be all over it.

Take this for what its worth, but I am out of a job!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nomoresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nomoresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nomoresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresaturn View Post
Take this for what its worth, but I am out of a job!!
Truly sorry to hear that. I hope you can bounce back quickly with something rewarding, both monetarily and cerebrally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
the_webers_inc
the_webers_inc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
............ I worked for a dealer group who was one of the first to own a Saturn dealership. He repeatedly said he was committed to Saturn and the future.

Yesterday he came in and shut us down (30 day notice) and three of his other Saturn dealerships. ............... For my dealer group to close Saturn now says alot. (Considering they were on the cover of time magazine for being the best dealer group in the states not to long ago!).............
Would this happen to be Bergstrom Automotive that you are referring to? I frequented the La Crosse/Onalaska facility until I sold my VUE in Jan of this year.

2000 Saturn SL2 1.9L 5spd - Sold
2003 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5spd - Sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_webers_inc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_webers_inc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_webers_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Lets look at this situation...

Previously we heard complaints that because Saturn was selling re-badged GM cars that GM was competing against itself.

Now Saturn will be selling competitors cars and competing against GM and GM will be losing these sales all together.

This was a bad business decision. They left an open door to their competition to strategically move in and compete against them.

It would have been in GM's best interest to shut down the Saturn dealers and not allow this to happen.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I don't think it will happen. GM doesn't want to hand over market share to yet another competitor. Call my cynical, but I think Saturn is just trying to maintain a glimmer of hope while they try to unload the existing inventory, before shutting down for good.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
CurveConcept
CurveConcept is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Lets look at this situation...

Previously we heard complaints that because Saturn was selling re-badged GM cars that GM was competing against itself.

Now Saturn will be selling competitors cars and competing against GM and GM will be losing these sales all together.

This was a bad business decision. They left an open door to their competition to strategically move in and compete against them.

It would have been in GM's best interest to shut down the Saturn dealers and not allow this to happen.

YES!! But, then they would have to pay for it. GM took the cheaper way out. I wonder how many Saturn dealers are around today. The Saturn web site location site is not up to date.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CurveConcept's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CurveConcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post

It is my belief that GM management prefers to gamble on the notion it's cheaper to be rid of a division by attrition rather than pulling the plug as evident when closing down Oldsmobile. That way they don't have to pay out all the Saturn retailer obligations. They may very well be right, but only time will tell.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Saturn dealerships are falling fast. I have followed this site since I started selling Saturns over a year ago.
Sorry you lost your job...

As for the dealerships closing, I can tell you that in Montreal (and Canada I suppose its the same) there was 5 dealers not so long ago, now there is only 2 left. A few weeks ago I want for maintenance, they told me they sold 12 cars for the entire month of February. 12 cars... I dont think it will survive long with that. The Hyunday and Toyota dealerships are probably selling that in a day or two.

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
He told us during his meeting with Saturn, that there was not going to be a viable option for the future of Saturn. He told us that during his meetings with Saturn, there were people interested, but no one was able to get financing.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your job. You are in Canada, right? yes, many stores in Canada are closing unfortunately.

Here in the US there are many store still quite alive however, despite all the US closings. Around 400 stores scattered in the US from what I am told.

Your ex-boss may be right about what he said - if he is talking about Canada. But he is incorrect about Saturn's status in the US. There is positive progress being put together by the FOT members in the US. I like how he says "but no one was able to get financing" now thats funny, did they have bad credit?

There are quite a few options still left on the table and being worked on I have been told.

There is nothing we can correctly say about Saturn's final decision until it is made and it has not been made yet. We will know when it is said by Saturn themselves. Until then, Saturn is still here.

Again, sorry you lost your job, I hope that you gained valuable experience in the short time you were with Saturn and wish you good luck.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
NotSaturnSales1
NotSaturnSales1 is on a distinguished road

marx, regarding your quote "I like how he says "but no one was able to get financing" now thats funny, did they have bad credit?" I believe the poster was refering to potential Saturn investors. The credit and bond markets are still extremely tight, this is no surprise to anyone. One of the biggest hurdles in front of a spinoff is finding an interested party who also has ready access to cash. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotSaturnSales1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotSaturnSales1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotSaturnSales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSales1 View Post
marx, regarding your quote "I like how he says "but no one was able to get financing" now thats funny, did they have bad credit?" I believe the poster was refering to potential Saturn investors. The credit and bond markets are still extremely tight, this is no surprise to anyone. One of the biggest hurdles in front of a spinoff is finding an interested party who also has ready access to cash. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
You read right, I meant what I said and it was meant to be as ridiculous as the original statement. To blanketly say that about everyone interested in investing or working with Saturn is too much insinuation and simply not true. It is obvious that the OP's manager was under duress when he told his employees these things. Again, I do not know if this occurred in Canada or the US, the OP did not say. You are right on the money noting the current world economic situation, but bigger companies were born during tougher times.

Yes, let's keep our fingers crossed and let's have all the patience we need to take until an official determination is officially announced from Saturn themselves.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 AM   #15
Silver Gray
Silver Gray is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

I hope against all hope that Saturn finds a way to continue separate from GM. Saturn sort of started that way, loosely connected with GM, but unique in so many of its approaches. I remember the day I bought my 95 SW2 - the easiest and most relaxed big purchase I ever made, and just as tough and reliable a car as my earlier Toyotas It's still running fine.

I went in to pick up some touch-up paint at my local Saturn dealership last week - the last week my local dealership would be open - and what a sad day that was. Cars backed up for last minute maintenance and staff either despairing over their future or anxious about their new jobs elsewhere. I'm so sorry to "NoMoreSaturn" about losing his job.

I'm old enough to really miss the days when we had unique and interesting alternatives in American cars - Studebaker, AMC (well, with some reservations), Packard, Kaiser, Hudson, Crosley.... In a way, Saturn was a return to that special "other" brand outside the "Big 3". I so hope they can stay there...somehow.

SG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silver Gray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silver Gray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silver Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
NotSaturnSales1
NotSaturnSales1 is on a distinguished road

Yes, its not easy to carry on these days but let's all remember that some good and talented folks are doing their best to keep the Saturn smile on the remaining retailer's faces. Sadly, it really is a perfect storm of economic barriers to the continuation of the Saturn brand and in any other time, things would be far different. Let's remain hopeful and see what news comes our way in a few weeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotSaturnSales1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotSaturnSales1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotSaturnSales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #17
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Your ex-boss may be right about what he said - if he is talking about Canada. But he is incorrect about Saturn's status in the US.
I can confirm that my dealer which is West-Island Saturn in Montreal is moving next door within the Chevrolet dealership. The Saturn building is a 10 year lease and I doubt the owner will take this long, so they are moving everything including service and soon sales to the Chevrolet dealership.

They are not ceasing to exist yet since its probably a high selling Saturn dealership by Saturn's standard, but who knows.

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankski View Post
I can confirm that my dealer which is West-Island Saturn in Montreal is moving next door within the Chevrolet dealership. The Saturn building is a 10 year lease and I doubt the owner will take this long, so they are moving everything including service and soon sales to the Chevrolet dealership.

They are not ceasing to exist yet since its probably a high selling Saturn dealership by Saturn's standard, but who knows.

Frankski
Is this permanent ?

There are a few empty buildings of closed dealerships around the west-island on Sources or St. john they could be buying those cheap
and they are close to the mothership.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
You read right, I meant what I said and it was meant to be as ridiculous as the original statement. To blanketly say that about everyone interested in investing or working with Saturn is too much insinuation and simply not true. It is obvious that the OP's manager was under duress when he told his employees these things. Again, I do not know if this occurred in Canada or the US, the OP did not say. You are right on the money noting the current world economic situation, but bigger companies were born during tougher times.

Yes, let's keep our fingers crossed and let's have all the patience we need to take until an official determination is officially announced from Saturn themselves.
What other bigger company(s) here was born under similar times like this.
Credit is tight for the regular consumer too plus alot of people are still concerned about there jobs. This all adds up to making hard for all but the stronger companies to survive.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #20
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE
Thumbs Up Re: Saturn Approached by GM Competitors About Selling Cars Under the Saturn Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
What other bigger company(s) here was born under similar times like this.
Credit is tight for the regular consumer too plus alot of people are still concerned about there jobs. This all adds up to making hard for all but the stronger companies to survive.

I am so glad that you asked. Here is the link, you will be surprised that these companies were born in such times, much worse times than we are going through right now.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...smb/index.html

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!