SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
rstanny
rstanny is on a distinguished road

Default Throttle Stuck Open

The throttle on my 2008 Vue XE stuck wide open today. I was accelerating hard from perhaps 35 mph and when I took my foot off the pedal around 40 or 45 the car kept accelerating. It basically ran away with me. I literally stood on the brake pedal and fought against the engine to force the car to slow down. I gradually brought the speed down this way over maybe five seconds (it felt like 20 seconds) until I reached perhaps 30 mph, whereupon I heard a sharp "clack," at which time the throttle closed. I was then able to bring the car back under control.

I assume that what happened is that the speed control somehow engaged with the throttle open and, for some reason, failed to disengage when I hit the brakes. I use the speed control all the time and I've never had any problems with it before. I believe the speed control was on at the time of the event, though it wasn't set (I had only just pulled away from a stoplight).

Anyone know of any precedents or have any other thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rstanny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rstanny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rstanny is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Throttle Stuck Open

Floor mat or something else on the floor perhaps?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I'm sure you've contacted the dealer regarding this serious incident?!?

I suggest you also visit the nhtsa.dot.gov website to both review existing complaints about this vehicle and also to record a complaint.

I doubt cruise control contributed to the problem but earlier Vue's have a throttle by wire system and yours ... most likely ... has same basic system.

I'd be inclined to park the vehicle pending some sort of resolution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
rstanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Floor mat or something else on the floor perhaps?
I've been thinking about that. A Michelin mat on the floor could possibly have caught the pedal. (I've removed it.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rstanny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
rstanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I'm sure you've contacted the dealer regarding this serious incident?!?

I suggest you also visit the nhtsa.dot.gov website to both review existing complaints about this vehicle and also to record a complaint.

I doubt cruise control contributed to the problem but earlier Vue's have a throttle by wire system and yours ... most likely ... has same basic system.

I'd be inclined to park the vehicle pending some sort of resolution.
Thanks for your concern. I have an appointment at the dealer in the morning. I looked at the NHTSA site and didn't see anything right off. Thought I'd call them when they open tomorrow. I want to be careful not to submit a complaint about a GM product at this point in time if the problem is actually due to my stupidity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Oh Lord, I hope it was a floormat ... otherwise I'll lock up spouse, children, grandchildren and family pets every time the family up the street hits the street in their newer Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I was going to suggest the floor mat also. Those aftermarket mats could get caught under the pedal and cause the problems you had.

If it were me, I would have shut off the engine with the hazards on and try my best to get off the road. Afterwards, I would have headed to the nearest Wal-Mart for a new pair of underwear and jeans

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
rstanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
I was going to suggest the floor mat also. Those aftermarket mats could get caught under the pedal and cause the problems you had.

If it were me, I would have shut off the engine with the hazards on and try my best to get off the road. Afterwards, I would have headed to the nearest Wal-Mart for a new pair of underwear and jeans
Someone elsewhere has reminded me that shutting off the engine would likely lead to steering lockup and further driver panic.... The reflex to develop, I guess, is to shift into neutral.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

The steering will not lock until you put it in "Park" if an automatic. Putting it in Neutral would cause the engine to rev even higher because you're taking the transmission load off of it.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
rstanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
The steering will not lock until you put it in "Park" if an automatic. Putting it in Neutral would cause the engine to rev even higher because you're taking the transmission load off of it.
This is good to know. Some people at Car Talk forum say rev limiting circuitry will keep a modern engine from self destructing due to rpms, though they're the same folks who say turning off the key will lock the steering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
LEGOManiac
LEGOManiac is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I think you've discovered one of the new "green" features - designed to keep scaring the crap out of people who take off from a stop light at full throttle until they've mended their gas-guzzling ways. (grin)

If this happens in the future, be sure to try the following:

- manually turn off your cruise-control
- turn the engine off - be prepared that steering and braking will be harder than normal but they will still work
- pop the transmission into neutral
- consider widening the sunroof and installing an ejection seat

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LEGOManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LEGOManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LEGOManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
rstanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGOManiac View Post
I think you've discovered one of the new "green" features....
Worked on me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
rstanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstanny View Post
The throttle on my 2008 Vue XE stuck wide open today....
Thank you to all who responded. Saturn went over the car today and found nothing. Gently suggested the possibility of user error. NHTSA hasn't had any similar complaints. I'm willing to assume, for now, that the accelerator pedal may have got tangled up in an aftermarket floor mat. (Watch those floor mats.) Am practicing quickly shifting into neutral.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
2004VueRedline
2004VueRedline is on a distinguished road

Early November 2013 I had the accelerator get stuck to the floor. I was driving and pressed the pedal to the floor and it stayed. I hit the pedal several times with my foot and it would not release. After a couple of seconds it released on its own. I did write to GM and did bring it to a Chevy dealer where it was checked and tested and did not repeat the problem. They simply said, "if it does not repeat the problem, there is nothing we can do." I wrote back to GM with all the details of communication with the service adviser. It has not happened again, but I have informed my family if it does and anyone is hurt or killed, to simply call their lawyer. When Toyota had this problem last year, they recalled the cars with the issue and changed a part that controlled the accelerator. I asked "what parts control the accelerator?" and was told "there are too many components involved." How many components can be involved to control acceleration?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004VueRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004VueRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004VueRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
84conv
84conv is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 2.2L

Test drove a 2005 Ion with 2.2 and 5 spd last week. It did same exact thing. Punched to accelerate at about 35 mph and it stuck wide open. Put it in neutral and it slowly came back to idle (no floor mats and the gas pedal was all the way up). My wife wanted to get out and walk back to car dealer. Could it be a dirty throttle body?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 84conv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 84conv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
84conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84conv View Post
Test drove a 2005 Ion with 2.2 and 5 spd last week. It did same exact thing. Punched to accelerate at about 35 mph and it stuck wide open. Put it in neutral and it slowly came back to idle (no floor mats and the gas pedal was all the way up). My wife wanted to get out and walk back to car dealer. Could it be a dirty throttle body?
There's a difference between your problem and one reported by 2004VueRedline but the results affect blood pressure the same.

The earlier post mentioned pedal stuck to floor and you said the ION pedal was all the way up.

The TAC system (both Vue and ION) includes the following components (plus interconnect wiring):
... accelerator pedal position (APP) sensors
... throttle body assembly
... engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control module (PCM)

If the pedal stuck to floor - its a no-brainer - I'd replace the silly thing ASAP. They're generally available at INTERNET suppliers for less than $50 (RockAuto.com is one source).

If the accelerator pedal fully returns (follows the foot) and RPM's do not diminish I'd suspect a binding throttle plate.

However, if throttle plate does stick - ECM/PCM should immediately recognize a disparity between the throttle plate position sensors and what ECM/PCM expects - based on either APP or cruise control input.

ECM/PCM should initiate a reduced power program which also lights reduced power light and malfunction indicator light (MIL - aka CEL and SES).

Reduced power has several options with the last being engine shutdown.

So, if throttle sticks - and the pedal is fully up - and RPM's stay up - and no warning lights are ON - I'd suspect some sort of internal ECM/PCM gremlin.

The best you can do is to knock out of gear, turn key to ACC (until RPM drops to 0); all while looking for an escape zone (also hope the fleet of 18 wheeler's behind you are paying attention).

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

Last edited by far2grumpy; 12-10-2013 at 01:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!