SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #21
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Saturn Prepares for Life Beyond General Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I think something like this company would fill the bill better:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99286134
The more I learn about the corrupt, oppressive, Communist Chinese regime, the less I want to buy anything from China, be it clothing, electronics, or certainly cars. So many Americans have died fighting such oppression, for what? So we could sell out our country in exchange for cheap consumer goods?

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj View Post
While it's OK to not be in the manufacturing business, Saturn still has to have a vision and a lineup of cars that makes sense.
I was a fan of the original Saturn precisely because of the manufacturing side, not the retail side. I have no interest in a retail outlet that sells other manufacturer's goods. Saturn was about proving that America could still design and build a competitive automobile. The new Saturn says, hey we failed, America can't compete, but we can still sell other people's crap!

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #23
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I was a fan of the original Saturn precisely because of the manufacturing side, not the retail side. I have no interest in a retail outlet that sells other manufacturer's goods. Saturn was about proving that America could still design and build a competitive automobile. The new Saturn says, hey we failed, America can't compete, but we can still sell other people's crap!
And what would you do if the new Saturn found a way to have its vehicles made in US plants like your Subaru ? What if the new designs are world class? Suppose they even brought back polymer? I don't know how you can speak with such certainty about failure before we find out what is actually proposed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #24
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
And what would you do if the new Saturn found a way to have its vehicles made in US plants like your Subaru ? What if the new designs are world class? Suppose they even brought back polymer? I don't know how you can speak with such certainty about failure before we find out what is actually proposed.
Depends on where the vehicle was designed and what the parent company was. If I had moral objections, due to it being a Chinese company for instance, then I would not consider the car. If it were a company I didn't have a problem with, then I guess I'd consider one if I liked the product. But I'd feel the same as I do about my Subaru. I'm glad my Legacy was assembled in Indiana, but it's not a truly American car like my SL2 was. So, no, I don't feel the same about my Legacy as I did the real Saturns.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Depends on where the vehicle was designed and what the parent company was. If I had moral objections, due to it being a Chinese company for instance, then I would not consider the car. If it were a company I didn't have a problem with, then I guess I'd consider one if I liked the product. But I'd feel the same as I do about my Subaru. I'm glad my Legacy was assembled in Indiana, but it's not a truly American car like my SL2 was. So, no, I don't feel the same about my Legacy as I did the real Saturns.
You are entitled to any opinion that you want based on your own moral standards. All I am asking is why you spoke so certainly about this effort being a bust for the USA before the details are even announced? As for the Chinese being involved in our economy, I read yesterday that they have financed the US national debt to a level of a trillion dollars. That is something that is a fact, not a hypothetical possibility. Given that, you must already be in a moral quandary of immense proportions because they are not going away anytime soon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...R2009031300703.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

That's a shame. Sad state of affairs...

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #27
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartsguy29 View Post
Might want to re-check your math there, bubba.
Woops!! Even so...$350 Million in sales won't save/help GM...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #28
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Am I the only one that thinks that Saturn should try wiping the slate clean and try to make a comeback as a company that designs and builds a decent car? After all isn't that what Saturn was originally intended to do? Produce a good small car that was designed to compete with the Japanese. Saturn has good plant, workers with 18 years experience building good cars. My thought is this, tell me I wrong; Redesign the Sprighill plant to build a new subcompact & midsize car, dust off and update the EV1(god knows their is a market for it), get out of and stay out of the minivan and SUV market(we had no business being there in the first place and we didn't do a great job while we were there), bring back the original UAW contract, and get rid of the current marketing team(no offense, Jill never understood why the original S-series sold in the first place and she thinks that polymer panels weren't a selling point). Springhill was set-up to produce the ECOTEC which still has some life left in it, why not use it to an advantage. The ION & S-series were good solid designs, and ground breaking at time they were introduced but were allowed to get dated because of lack of R&D when it was needed to improve on them. The L-series never caught on, the VUE had the VTI dumped in it before GM worked the bugs out it. My thought is that Saturn lost out when GM decided that it should be marketing European models, it's not the Europeans that are out selling the Big Three it's Japan & Korea. I think what Saturn needs to find out what got them this far and get back on track.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #29
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Storm View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that Saturn should try wiping the slate clean and try to make a comeback as a company that designs and builds a decent car? After all isn't that what Saturn was originally intended to do? Produce a good small car that was designed to compete with the Japanese.
I think so, but there's no realistic way for that to happen anymore. GM made sure it completely destroyed what it had created in Saturn.

Quote:
Saturn has good plant, workers with 18 years experience building good cars.
Correction: Saturn had a good plant. It builds the Chevy Traverse now.

Quote:
bring back the original UAW contract, and get rid of the current marketing team(no offense, Jill never understood why the original S-series sold in the first place and she thinks that polymer panels weren't a selling point).
I agree. It's apparent that Saturn management had no grasp of what made people so loyal to the brand and enthusiastic about the cars in the early days.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #30
Crazy C
Crazy C is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1995 SL2

Man, this article is depressing. As a loyal Saturn owner I do not like the sounds of any of these options. Unless GM keeps Saturn as a brand by cutting back on models or whatever it has to do, or Saturn can exist as an independent American car company (which I sadly doubt is possible) then I have a feeling I'll be mourning a defunct Saturn just like I did when they discontinued Oldsmobile.

I honestly won't have much of an interest in them if it's going to be some other car manufacturers model with a Saturn emblem on it. I do not want Saturn to turn into what Geo was, that's already been proven not to work for the long run. I've never been a huge fan of the Opel collaboration either.. Sure, they are great, beautiful cars. And I'm not even against more than one car brand to have pretty much the same model. But come on, Saturn needs some more brand specific models!

I would much, much rather they integrate Saturn with other GM dealerships or something, anything. Maybe some executives need to step down or have a reality check about what WE as the customers want in this brand and what made us love it in the first place. Because God knows it isn't what they've done with it. I'm talking stuff like Bob Lutz acting like Saturn is part of the future of General Motors and tooting the brands horn, only to flip flop and say it's not profitable and the like. That kind of BS really pisses me off.

God, I would love nothing more than to see the revival of the S-Series.. Yes, polymer panels and all! Obviously they would need to update it, but I think that would be the ideal. If they can't do any of those things I would much rather they just let Saturn die with some dignity, phase it out over the next couple years, and let it rest it peace. I just feel like any of these other plans will prove to be in vain in the long run. Just my opinion on the issue...

1993 Saturn SL2 (162,271 miles): The One and Only
1995 Saturn SL2 (153,800 miles)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS (150,500 miles)

Support the American auto industry! Long Live General Motors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crazy C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crazy C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crazy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #31
CurveConcept
CurveConcept is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj View Post
While it's OK to not be in the manufacturing business, Saturn still has to have a vision and a lineup of cars that makes sense. They can't just sell a hodgepodge of vehicles and expect it to work. They need to be telling the manufacturers what to build. Take Apple Computer as an example, they don't manufacture anything anymore. They just have the vision and the design.

That said, if most of it is made in China, I probably won't be buying.

I do think Saturn can find a way to partner with some of the companies striving to make electric vehicles. But they need to help lead, not just offer a retail channel. None of those companies have the production capacity and associated cost savings to fit Saturn's needs without help.

Your comment on Apple is interesting. A lot of companies don’t manufacture their own products. It is common for flat panel HDTV manufacturers to buy their panels from a small group of suppliers. For example, Sony doesn’t manufacture flat panels screens. They buy their screens from Samsung. So is a Sony TV really a Samsung? Yes and no. Yes they share the same basic screen, but from there the features and video card are totally different. I would even argue that the Sony LCD TV’s have a better picture, but that my opinion.

Charlie thinks some posts on here are rude, but that is his opinion. You can’t take these posts personally. We are all here for the good of Saturn and you should be happy people are still talking about the brand when MANY have written them off. I think we need constructive criticism even if it is not what some want to hear. This site, in a way, is like a focus group. If we all agree and say how great Saturn will be, that gets us nowhere and is pointless. Now is the time to debate every little detail. There are no second chances this time around. I would hope some people from GM/Saturn read this blog to get a sense of what the “old school” original Saturn customers want, especially when the goal is to go back to a different kind of car and a different kind of car company. I would love to see polymer or some new material that won’t dent, ding or rust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CurveConcept's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CurveConcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #32
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

FYI... Sony just signed an agreement with Sharp for it's lcd panels... They had the Samsung deal since 2003...

Sony said they switched for economic reasons, Samsung said they did it because Samsung tv's have been out selling Sony...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #33
CurveConcept
CurveConcept is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
FYI... Sony just signed an agreement with Sharp for it's lcd panels... They had the Samsung deal since 2003...

Sony said they switched for economic reasons, Samsung said they did it because Samsung tv's have been out selling Sony...

I bet they got a better deal. I'm waiting for 3-D TV, it might be a while.
Thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CurveConcept's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CurveConcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #34
6Rings
6Rings is on a distinguished road

Math God beat me to it. Saturn already died when they stopped making the ION and the original style VUE. EVERYTHING 'Saturn' makes now is just another GM car with a Saturn name badge on it - so what is all this concern about? Saturn no longer makes a unique vehicle. Saturn is already gone.

The THREE big reasons I became a Saturn fan in the very beginning were:
1. A four cylinder motor with a timing chain (NOT a belt)
2. Plastic sides that won't rust or dent
3. No haggle pricing.
The only one that remains is item number 3.
I have been a GM fan my whole life and a Passionate Saturn fan since 1990 when they launched. I toured the plant in Springhill Tenn. and I could talk circles around most Saturn Salesmen back in the day. However, there is now nothing left to warrant my loyalty to Saturn in current or future production. The only way to save Saturn and keep its loyal fans is to return to the roots that made it unique, but I don't see that happening. I will keep my old SC2s running as long as I can. In my opinion Saturn was the last true American classic car, that is why I collect them.

PS - I am very seriously thinking of looking at FORD the next time I purchace a new car (which may be a while) because they are the only ones NOT taking bail out money from the governement - that speaks volumes to me.

Current Saturns
2007 Outlook, White (Wife's Car)
2003 ION-3, Gold (bought for a friend in need - she still has it)
2002 SC2, Orange (my daily driver)
1995 SC2 Tuner, Red (my son's daily driver)
1995 SC2, Green (only 71,000 miles - extra car to use while working on others)

Previous Saturns
1994 SL1 Gold (210,000 miles, sold to buy 2002 SC2)
2003 VUE V-6 Black (Sold to buy...)
2004 VUE Red-Line, Electric Lime (sold to buy 2007 Outlook)
1996 SC2, Black parts car (most is still in my attic)
1995 SC2, Black parts car (most is still in my attic)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 6Rings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 6Rings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
6Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #35
HyperCube33
HyperCube33 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
What Saturn need to do to survive is sell cars that are better than the cars currently supplied by GM.

Another SUV with a Honda 3.5L V6 sounds like a winner! Unfortunately lightning never strikes twice...
Wasnt that what saturn set out to do in the first place? Great gas mileage on a car that wont rust and can last 300k miles usually for $13500 isnt bad. All their cars had the same parts throughout (minus the space frame, another awesome thing - read some deer vs saturn stories and you'd feel safe in one too) sure, they had some issues (put the alternator too close to the exhuast manifold (burns the regulator out) and some other minor issues that could have been fixed in a few models to have cars that would last 500k probably with minor to no labor (fix the bearings GRRR)

Basically, GM farked saturn without lube and then kicked it out. Redhead stepchild company is it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HyperCube33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HyperCube33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HyperCube33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #36
gary p
gary p is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankski View Post
They should continue what they started, import Opels and put the Saturn badge on it. What's so hard with this? They are willing to kill a brand with loyal customers instead of importing Opel to the US.

I own an Astra so I'm already driving an Opel, I dont see the problem. Cost? Raise the price or use a plant in Mexico. Mexico Opels would be way better than crappy cars from China or India.

I have a better idea, Saturn and Opel should split from GM and sell their own cars. And beat GM at it.

Frankski
The decision has been made, Buick has replaced Saturn as Opel's US partner. So as much as I like the idea of Saturn selling more Opel rebadged vehicles, its not gonna happen, end of story.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gary p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gary p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gary p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #37
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary p View Post
The decision has been made, Buick has replaced Saturn as Opel's US partner. So as much as I like the idea of Saturn selling more Opel rebadged vehicles, its not gonna happen, end of story.
Other then this article: http://www.nextautos.com/spy-shots-b...and-opel-astra

which speculates that this MIGHT happen (and that the photo in question might be a Buick) , I have not seen nor heard that Buick will definitely be getting any other Opel designs with exception to the Insignia design. (Google Buick + Insignia)

I have heard nothing official that "Buick has replaced Saturn as Opel's US partner". However as Buick and Opel have a long history the marriage would make complete sense.
Whatever badge Opels make it here under, I'd buy one. I am very happy with my Astra.
I like Frankski's ideas although not too probable.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #38
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

This is STILL one of my favorite looking cars of all time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Opel_GT_front_quarter.jpg (72.6 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #39
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
This is STILL one of my favorite looking cars of all time...
My friend in high school had one. What fun we had cruising South Beach in the GT back then!

This was one of my favs back in the late '80's: '87 Omni GLHS turbo, what a sleeper.
http://www.allpar.com/omni/GLHS.php

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #40
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The Opel I wish they would brought over

"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote