SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
melmar1999
melmar1999 is on a distinguished road

Default "Exciting Times" Why dealerships closing

I don't get it. According to Jill and other acclaimed members we are at one of the most exciting times for Saturn. What are these dealer principals missing?
Have they not got Jill's emails. WHY ARE THEY CLOSING DOWN? Just as some of us are ready to make the plunge, these owners are giving up, it makes me wonder why buy a new Aura. Are the GM execs blowing smoke, so someone like myself has enough confidence to spend my $25,000. The rate these dealers are dropping, it won't even pay for GM to ship vehicles from Belgium or even produce brochures for the 2010's. By September, Saturn will be lucky to have a total of 200 dealers in US and Canada, at 10-15 cars a month, that will give Saturn a total of 2,500 cars per month, probably profit won't even pay Jill's salary. I couldn't see GM go through it, for a measely 2500 to 3000 cars per month. At that rate, they could even number the cars with a Sharpy or even have Jill sign them, then it would make mine more of a collectors. Maybe put a "Upperdeck" Hologram on the dash, talk about collectors item.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to melmar1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help melmar1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
melmar1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Re: "Exciting Times" Why dealerships closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar1999 View Post
I don't get it. .
Yes, you do. Finally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

Melmar... Sadly we are seeing more and more dealers close as weeks go by. I'm sure this is creating a sense of urgency with the FOT. We had dinner with friends last night and he was going to be a cash buyer of an Outlook until GM announced the end of Saturn in 2011. Now he won't entertain the idea...period. Its not brain surgery to understand why someone won't shell out 40 grand with the very real chance a week later their dealer is padlocked and warranty work is an hour away.

I'm sure that the famous "Jill" and her partners realize that unless they come with a home run regarding investors in the next 4 weeks, the brand evaporation will escalate out of control very, very quickly. If that happens I will be one of millions who say "this is the day the music died".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

It just sucks that some of us the purchased a saturn right before or during the eco down fall is seeing our reasonable priced car ( u know so we dont feel like we got cheated with the sales price) is falling in value week by week..when i purchased my vue in oct 08 31,000 miles for 11,500 (2.2ecotec,5 speed fully loaded.includin side airbags and alloy wheels) and doing online research everyone includin edmunds said it was a fair deal..now with 5 3/4 years left on the loan..everytime i check(i check to see if there is anyway i could get out of this vue..i love it..just dont want a car whose company doesnt exsist) the value is falling very fast!! to point now where im almost upside down( no matter how many miles i wont put on it for better resale) of coarse u dont see this with the v6 becuase it has honda backin up the engine and tranny..oy why didnt i just go with a higher mile honda..lol...becuase i walked in saturn and they saw a first time buyer using his partners credit to go from a sports car(91 prelude) to a suv..now i realize they knew something was coming...with my credit score was shocked to find i was lookin at 99 mazda 626 on a saturn lot with them coming up and say "hey we can get u into a 05 with only 31k under 230bucks a month...wow i was sold..handed over my tag and boom 6 yrs of payment and they are going under !

side note...this vue is peppy neat clean and i love it..just very very scared...hope saturn does continue..p.s the vue,s name is Patsey!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
railguy7

SilverSurfer .. Your Vue will be supported by GM long term if things go south. Enjoy your car and the fact you live on the Cape. I'd kill to live there..lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
melmar1999

Where Oh where is Marx 404? I am curious on how's it going at your Saturn facility? Do you have any insight on why these dealers are closing? Don't they have a lot to gain with the new Saturn Distribution Corp? What are your thoughts and are is your retailer still open? Please let us know, if we can still have the same hope as Jill and Clapsaddle? As for silverstreak, hold onto that VUE with polymer, I am sure there will be a great demand in 5 years for that vehicle. Don't Worry, Be Happy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help melmar1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
railguy7

There was a rumour that Marx404 had gone to Toyota

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
bigbird

Quote:
Don't they have a lot to gain with the new Saturn Distribution Corp?
There is no such thing as a new "Saturn Distribution Corp". It is only speculative wishful thinking by GM and their small dealer input group that this will ever happen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: "Exciting Times" Why dealerships closing

Quote:
Do you have any insight on why these dealers are closing?
Not many people are buying new cars -- but the problem isn't limited to just Saturn stores. All dealers are suffering now.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...2oE&refer=home
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=6677200
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/a...902170333/1002
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...t-Record-Pace/

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
There is no such thing as a new "Saturn Distribution Corp". It is only speculative wishful thinking by GM and their small dealer input group that this will ever happen.
Not true... The SDC has been in existence since the beginning of Saturn. That is the legal corporate entity that is being spun off from General Motors. And the effort is not speculative or wishful thinking. There's a lot of hard work happening behind the scenes to make sure this idea gets off the ground.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
melmar1999

Thanks Charlie for your insight, good to know your not giving up.
As it is a tough time for all dealers, maybe spring will bring some life to the autoworld. It is too bad Saturn retailers aren't holding on for better things to come. Maybe once Saturn gets back on their feet, they will revert to their core values. Possibly training at one central location, maybe called "Saturn University"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
railguy7

Although the entire industry is in the tank its especially dangerous for a brand with only 400 dealerships to serve a customer base. Footprints are obviously much bigger and in most cases the loss of dealerships results in a customer having to travel miles and miles for warranty work. Who is going to buy a brand when it means traveling 30-50 miles for service when the GM, Toyota, Honda guy is down the street. Jill can't afford to lose many more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
bigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Not true... The SDC has been in existence since the beginning of Saturn. That is the legal corporate entity that is being spun off from General Motors. And the effort is not speculative or wishful thinking. There's a lot of hard work happening behind the scenes to make sure this idea gets off the ground.
Charlie
Sorry. I thought it was part of the Saturn Franchise Operation Team's possible ventures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy7 View Post
Although the entire industry is in the tank its especially dangerous for a brand with only 400 dealerships to serve a customer base. Footprints are obviously much bigger and in most cases the loss of dealerships results in a customer having to travel miles and miles for warranty work. Who is going to buy a brand when it means traveling 30-50 miles for service when the GM, Toyota, Honda guy is down the street. Jill can't afford to lose many more.
That is an important thing for me. One reason why I would not buy a Hyundai. There is no dealership close to my house compared to other brands. Convenience and trust are very high in my book.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't get it. According to Jill and other acclaimed members we are at one of the most exciting times for Saturn. What are these dealer principals missing?
Have they not got Jill's emails. WHY ARE THEY CLOSING DOWN? Just as some of us are ready to make the plunge, these owners are giving up, it makes me wonder why buy a new Aura. Are the GM execs blowing smoke, so someone like myself has enough confidence to spend my $25,000. The rate these dealers are dropping, it won't even pay for GM to ship vehicles from Belgium or even produce brochures for the 2010's. By September, Saturn will be lucky to have a total of 200 dealers in US and Canada, at 10-15 cars a month, that will give Saturn a total of 2,500 cars per month, probably profit won't even pay Jill's salary. I couldn't see GM go through it, for a measely 2500 to 3000 cars per month. At that rate, they could even number the cars with a Sharpy or even have Jill sign them, then it would make mine more of a collectors. Maybe put a "Upperdeck" Hologram on the dash, talk about collectors item.
You answered your own question.

These dealerships have voluntarily closed whatever their reasons may be. Even if they share Jill' & Co.s enthusiasm for Saturn's future, it may not jell with the retailer's long-term financial health/viability.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
You answered your own question.

These dealerships have voluntarily closed whatever their reasons may be. Even if they share Jill' & Co.s enthusiasm for Saturn's future, it may not jell with the retailer's long-term financial health/viability.

Jill is not alone in the effort to save Saturn. The FOT, which represents the retail body, is pushing just as hard to find a workable solution. I suspect that due to the economy, some retailers are in worse financial shape than others, which is why we're seeing some stores close.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Information Re: "Exciting Times" Why dealerships closing

Quote:
Where Oh where is Marx 404? I am curious on how's it going at your Saturn facility? Do you have any insight on why these dealers are closing? Don't they have a lot to gain with the new Saturn Distribution Corp? What are your thoughts and are is your retailer still open? Please let us know, if we can still have the same hope as Jill and Clapsaddle? As for silverstreak, hold onto that VUE with polymer, I am sure there will be a great demand in 5 years for that vehicle. Don't Worry, Be Happy
melmar, look at railguys reply and you will see why I choose not to participate in this forum and why I have him blocked. Nice try though, lol I am still with Saturn but there goes your credibility. Things are slow all over and will be until the economy gets better. I am here to stay.

Others have clearly posted why certain dealers are closing, but if you want it again, here it is: Saturn has never closed any dealerships, nor has GM, period. The decision to close stores in both the US and in Canada is entirely up to the dealers themselves. Saturn dealerships are privately owned and it is up to them to stay open, merge with other stores or close. With the economy as bad as it is, many brands are losing business, NOT just Saturn. Here in town, we are one of the few brands that is not laying off due to the recession. We are very much open and there are still approx 400 dealerships in the US, don't know how many in your country are still open. You guys are in Canada, right?

Somehow, it seems that all the negativity has had a reverse effect and sparked interest in people who would have never considered a Saturn before, which is actually helping. Here in town, a Chevrolet store, a Ford store and a Hyundai store have closed along with a few used car lots. Saturn is still here and will be here.

My thoughts are as I have always been saying. This is a time of change. Lets stop all the dead-horse heating until we know actual facts. Lets not call the shots before we know the final decision about Saturn.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

The 3 dealers that closed near me were all lousy ones. I wont miss them at all, because I've been boycotting them for years. My theory is that you can only rip people off for so long before it hurts your business. That plus the downturn, and they decided it was easier to sell more Nissans. Good riddance...

The good one remains, and I'll keep going there. In fact I'm thinking about picking up an Astra is the deal is right.

I really hope Saturn stays intact somehow. I was one of the few here looking forward to more Opels. Now it seems the future of Saturn as well as Opel is up in the air. The next few months will be critical...

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 248K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote