SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn has interested buyers, GM says

Automaker hires well-known N.Y. consultant to work on deals

Jamie LaReau
Automotive News
March 5, 2009 - 5:21 pm ET
UPDATED: 3/5/09 5:37 p.m. ET

DETROIT -- Saturn is attracting interest from a "few" parties that might want to acquire the brand, a General Motors spokesman said today.

GM has hired Steve Girsky, formerly senior auto analyst for Morgan Stanley, to help advise on any possible Saturn deals.

Saturn spokesman Steve Janisse said, "There is interest from investors in doing a spinoff, and there are other entities interested in just buying it." He said he does not know whether the interested parties are other automakers.

In its Feb. 17 viability report to the U.S. Treasury, GM said it would supply product to Saturn through the 2012 model year. It said if it did not find a buyer or other solution for Saturn before 2012, it would phase out the brand. GM formed a small task force of dealers and some GM employees to look at how it could spin off or sell Saturn.

In a March 3 letter to Saturn dealers, Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak said GM hired Girsky to help the team study the options for Saturn. Janisse said Girsky started work "a couple of weeks ago."

"He has extensive knowledge of the financial side of the equation and so he's helping evaluate the different options," Janisse said. "But he's also there to build the business plans for the options."

Janisse said the Saturn task force wants to have a clear proposal for Saturn dealers by mid-April.

Saturn's U.S. sales, meanwhile, continue to plunge. Its sales in February fell to 6,338 vehicles, down 57.2 percent from February 2008. Total GM sales fell 53.1 percent for the month, and industrywide, sales slipped 41.4 percent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Saturn has interested buyers, GM says

I wonder what price GM will set for Saturn and what assets beyond the name will come with the rights to Saturn. Beyond that you have to wonder what future conditions will be attached to the sale if it happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
I wonder what price GM will set for Saturn and what assets beyond the name will come with the rights to Saturn. Beyond that you have to wonder what future conditions will be attached to the sale if it happens.

Even if they sell it for a dollar. It takes this entity of GM books. And at this time that is a plus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Even if they sell it for a dollar. It takes this entity of GM books. And at this time that is a plus.
Are you assuming that GM books Saturn as a liability on its balance sheet? I doubt it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnplace View Post
... Saturn spokesman Steve Janisse said, "There is interest from investors in doing a spinoff, and there are other entities interested in just buying it." He said he does not know whether the interested parties are other automakers. ...
Does "interested parties" mean it could just be a kid somewhere in New Jersey who book-marked Saturn on his ebay watch list?

Do you think it will bring more than a special-edition set of Spiderman trading cards?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
Does "interested parties" mean it could just be a kid somewhere in New Jersey who book-marked Saturn on his ebay watch list?
Do you think it will bring more than a special-edition set of Spiderman trading cards?
Nasty. I bet you're going to get spanked for that one. Funny, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
unit731

Quote:
Are you assuming that GM books Saturn as a liability on its balance sheet? I doubt it.
No, I wasn't using this as an accounting term.

I meant, GM, just get rid of Saturn. One less mess to clean up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

In many cases with M&A's, interested parties have to ante up cash to gain access to the books. It would be interesting to know if that's the case with Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

I wonder who the "interested parties" are. Maybe Kerkorian? Maybe someone that GM also neeed to hire some translators for? BTW, anyone else hear some rumbling that GM neeed more loans by the end of the month again? I heard it from a co-worker that read it online, but I hadn't read anything about it, so I figured it was probably old news that he had at the wrong time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #10
SalesAgent
SalesAgent is on a distinguished road

Whatever the decision, hope Saturn did the right choice.

bluerocket.com.au

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalesAgent's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalesAgent reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalesAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

>anyone else hear some rumbling that GM neeed more loans

Last Friday their (GMs') auditor reported that bankruptcy was nearly inescapable; GM has approached multiple foreign governments for help/$ ; SAAB went bankrupt after Swedish gov't refused; some figures bandied about ... GM needs $30 billion for next time period. The German gov't gave notice that Germany will survive if Opel fails ... and GM will have to do better to earn any aid.

This Friday GM again reports it still seeks avoid bankruptcy , but .... well now we have brinkmanship {familiar to observers of traditional collective bargaining agreements} that will probably run out the month , when ... they will go bankrupt.
Few articles:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030500526.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=sec-business

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...s-outlook.html

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...many-opel.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGCA_XRL View Post
I wonder who the "interested parties" are. Maybe Kerkorian? Maybe someone that GM also neeed to hire some translators for? BTW, anyone else hear some rumbling that GM neeed more loans by the end of the month again? I heard it from a co-worker that read it online, but I hadn't read anything about it, so I figured it was probably old news that he had at the wrong time.
It could be TaTa...

If GM can get the Volt to market, I believe the company will survive and turn things around.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
It could be TaTa...

If GM can get the Volt to market, I believe the company will survive and turn things around.
At this point survival probably has a lot less to do with product than it does with the rest of the economy. If people don't buy cars, it doesn't matter what G.M. produces. Right now it does not look good for the auto industry in general. If G.M. closed all of it's factories, laid off everybody and "hunkered down" to weather the economic storm, they would still lose money without any income. If they build cars, they get income from what they sell, but at what level of sales is the "break even" point? G.M.'s current financial position is that they need to make big profits to recover. Is it likely that there is any scenario where they make a profit of any kind in the near future? $30 billion buys them how much time? If they got $200 billion that might buy them enough time to weather the storm, less only prolongs the agony. I think the best hope for the Saturn brand is if a viable buyer takes it off of G.M.'s hands so that Saturn survives when the rest of the G.M. products die with the company.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russ Bellinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
>anyone else hear some rumbling that GM neeed more loans

Last Friday their (GMs') auditor reported that bankruptcy was nearly inescapable; GM has approached multiple foreign governments for help/$ ; SAAB went bankrupt after Swedish gov't refused; some figures bandied about ... GM needs $30 billion for next time period. The German gov't gave notice that Germany will survive if Opel fails ... and GM will have to do better to earn any aid.

This Friday GM again reports it still seeks avoid bankruptcy , but .... well now we have brinkmanship {familiar to observers of traditional collective bargaining agreements} that will probably run out the month , when ... they will go bankrupt.
Few articles:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030500526.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=sec-business

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...s-outlook.html

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...many-opel.html

Not only does GM want more money, at the end of this month, the monies from December's loan will come due. At least that is my understanding.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

>If people don't buy cars, it doesn't matter what G.M. produces.
>G.M.'s current financial position is that they need to make big profits to recover.

Agreed , Russ. Probably only with bankruptcy will enough slack be secured ... and with that comes further lost confidence in GM's survival , and less market share. The Big3 have finally come up with quality safe cars that have emissions clean enough to breathe , and all the forces arrayed against them won't buy the legislated vehicles. The Volt is only affordable for buyers of Lexus, etc. The consistently dwindling market share held by the BigThree now threatens the national IndustrialBase , should further shrinkage occur.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #16
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGCA_XRL View Post
I wonder who the "interested parties" are. Maybe Kerkorian? ...
better "Kerkorian" than "Kevorkian" ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
unit731

I think Mahindra was a good option.

Sadly, they already have paid in dealers.

Would have been smarter for GM to have approached them early on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
ericb45696
ericb45696 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The service guy I talked to this morning ( I know.. real reliable source here ,haha) told me they had a meeting this morning and the owner told them that the dealer network was going to try and buy Saturn themselves.

So it might be kind of like when Saturn first started again ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericb45696's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericb45696 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericb45696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
gary p
gary p is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They've essentially declared it a worthless asset, and if a spin-off doesn't materialize it will be a signifciant future liability. Any retailer still standing if/when they close the franchise down will be entitled to significant compensation per existing franchise agreements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gary p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gary p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gary p is offline   Reply With Quote