SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
corbins
corbins is on a distinguished road

Default Key Stuck in Ignition

2005 Saturn Ion Automatic. I've read several posts with the same problem and have tried a few suggested repairs. Squareback has been very helpful on posting several times to use PB B'Laster on the cable. The only cable I see on mine is the cable running to the transmission which I lubed. I see a solenoid which moves when I hit the brake but not a cable. Another post was to get a new key from the dealer, not a key from the old key. So far nothing has worked. The key gets stuck at ACC and can't get it to move to off. After playing with it it eventually releases and goes to off. It seems to be getting worse. I went to two Saturn dealers and asked if this is a common problem (like the car not starting when it's cold which I fixed a few years ago) and they told me no and they really don't know what is wrong without bringing the car in to their shop. Please help. Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to corbins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help corbins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
corbins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Key Stuck in Ignition

the ignition lock cylinder is most likely bad. and you can do it yourself

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
corbins

Thank you. Does anyone know where good instructions are to replace the lock cylinder? Will my keys now not match up to the doors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help corbins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Lenny_ViDiViCi
Lenny_ViDiViCi is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yeah, I'm changin mine now. hopefully I can post a grainy pic of what piece actually broke. The door will use your old keys, and the ignition will use your new keys. You can go to a locksmith and get him to change the internals to match the old key I think

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lenny_ViDiViCi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lenny_ViDiViCi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lenny_ViDiViCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the dealer can order the correct cylinder for your key, no need to go through all that hassle

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

The OEM key cylinder comes as a kit and is assembled for the cars key code so that it can be used with your current key.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
ericb45696
ericb45696 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan

having same problem here. 05 saturn.

waiting to here from dealers service dept now for a quote.
how hard would this be to replace myself if I don't have an Uber tool set ?

it is really annoying and getting worse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericb45696's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericb45696 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericb45696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
ericb45696

2005 ION-1 Sedan

the dealer said he could only order it if they installed it. I kinda understand why, but does that sound correct?

he quoted me $ 200 total installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ericb45696 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

they can order you anything you ask them to, that includes anything on the car, most parts will come with instructions. do it yourself, it's worth it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
snakes
snakes will become famous soon enoughsnakes will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I had the same problem over the summer and it turned out to be the Shifter which cost $400. at the dealer. The first thing they did was replace the key. It still kept happening and then replaced the sylenoid for $400. Then it still kept happening and after they fixed the Shifter hasnt happended since. It would only happen after the car was shut off and I would have to play and wiggle the key for 5 minutes to get it out. I hope this helps somewhat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
corbins

One dealer did tell me we would need to replace the shifter. I did not bring the car to them, I was just asking if they knew what the problem might be. Can you tell me what parts they replaced from your workorder?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
ericb45696

2005 ION-1 Sedan

hmm. some good advice here. I called another Saturn dealership and they told me they COULD sell me the ignition lock cyclinder , they would just need proof of ownership. so cool. but I don't think I'm up to putting it together and installing it myself so I'll probably have them do it.

thanks for the info/help gang.

oh.. he also told me that it looks like the Saturn dealership owners might get together and buy Saturn away from GM.

good news perhaps ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
snakes
snakes will become famous soon enoughsnakes will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I checked the paperwork and all it said was replaced shifter kit. Unfortunately Saturn franchise dealership went out of business so I am not able to obtain the detail info on the job. I really got screwed because when I bought the Ion brand new back in 2005 from the dealership they sold me the API 100K warranty with the car. Well API went bankrupt and the dealership was honoring it for a while until of course up until I was having problems with the my key/ignition. I guess they werent getting there money from API so my 100K warranty went out of the window. NY was one of the states that API didnt have to reimburse according to the bankruptcy settlement. Make a long story short the other Saturns wont even honor or want anything to do with API. So Saturn had left a bad taste and I havent stepped foot into the dealership since. Did nt mean to go off on a tangent. But I know a few people that I could try to get in touch with that were former techs/mech from Saturn that may be able to describe the parts/work order.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
corbins

Snakes, thanks for trying. Now the big dilima for me. Ignition switch or shifter?? I guess using the process of elimination I should start with the ignition switch. I'm sure that would cost less. Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to replace the ignition switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

not the ignition switch, the key lock cylinder

1. remove the steering column covers (the bottom one is held on by screws)
2. insert your key and turn it to run
3. on the cylinder there are two detents for spring loaded pins, use a punch or awl to press the first one, then the second, then the first one again, all while pulling out.
4. make sure the actuator in the housing is still in the run position, then reverse installation procedures.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes View Post
I checked the paperwork and all it said was replaced shifter kit. Unfortunately Saturn franchise dealership went out of business so I am not able to obtain the detail info on the job. I really got screwed because when I bought the Ion brand new back in 2005 from the dealership they sold me the API 100K warranty with the car. Well API went bankrupt and the dealership was honoring it for a while until of course up until I was having problems with the my key/ignition. I guess they werent getting there money from API so my 100K warranty went out of the window. NY was one of the states that API didnt have to reimburse according to the bankruptcy settlement. Make a long story short the other Saturns wont even honor or want anything to do with API. So Saturn had left a bad taste and I havent stepped foot into the dealership since. Did nt mean to go off on a tangent. But I know a few people that I could try to get in touch with that were former techs/mech from Saturn that may be able to describe the parts/work order.

Due diligence.

That is why people should actually READ the extended warranty before purchasing. And actually read up on the company that is the underwriter of said aftermarket insurance.

No one has a crystal ball. And can't predict bankruptcy.

If buying an extended warranty, buy directly from manufacturer if they have one.

Also, get in writing that the dealer will honor the extended warranty if said aftermarket warranty company goes belly up. If they don't agree to that then don't buy the warranty.

That still doesn't help where the dealer goes belly up. To avoid this, again, purchase a manufacturers warranty. But here with Saturn, that, too, might pose a problem.

No simple answer for the extended warranty issues.

Note:

I purchased and titled a couple of used cars this year. The 'extended warranty' people (all different companies) call me about once a week. They either 'buy' my phone number from the dealer or buy information from the DMV. None have a clue what brand of car I have or purchased. But they will sell me an extended warranty even if my miles on odometer is up to 250,000 miles. Give me a break !!

Oh, and they want my credit card number. Can't pay with a check. They don't have a mailing address either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #17
davesaturn
davesaturn is on a distinguished road

I hear that GM is going bankrupt because of the bad ignition switches alone. Billions of bad switches everywhere.

evil american corporations are fun that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davesaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
SaturnTech122
SaturnTech122 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

make sure its not the bitsi solenoid in the shifter asm, the go bad and intermittantly stick

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech122's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech122 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
corbins

How would I know if that is bad? The part I think you are talking about is a little solenoid that moves and unlocks the shifter. That solenoid does move so I think it's works. Am I looking at the right part?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
Captain Yar
Captain Yar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes View Post
I had the same problem over the summer and it turned out to be the Shifter which cost $400. at the dealer. The first thing they did was replace the key. It still kept happening and then replaced the sylenoid for $400. Then it still kept happening and after they fixed the Shifter hasnt happended since. It would only happen after the car was shut off and I would have to play and wiggle the key for 5 minutes to get it out. I hope this helps somewhat.
I'm having the same issue. Would have to play and wiggle with the key to get it to the "off" position, now it won't go to off regardless and I'm having to disconnect the battery when I park my car. This isn't going to work!!

I'm thinking considering Snakes's post, that the shifter should be the first thing to get switched out. Does anyone have any experience doing it? Is it something that can be done or would I HAVE to go to a dealer? I really need to get this done on the cheap...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Captain Yar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Captain Yar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Captain Yar is offline   Reply With Quote