SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
denniswpb
denniswpb is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Dizzy 98 SC-2 DOHC Cylinder Head Replacement

I need to replace the cylinder head on my daughters 98 SC2 DOHC this weekend and I need advice fast!!!

The head has a crack and pissing oil next to the AC bracket. I need any advice, instructions, pictures, or any help you may think could make this job easier before I tear into it. I have a new head with the cam already installed.
Thanks!!

Dennis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to denniswpb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help denniswpb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
denniswpb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: 98 SC-2 DOHC Cylinder Head Replacement

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=timing+chain

Just add on the removal of the head for this.

http://www.therob.com/enginebuilding/build.php

Use the search button. There is a nice thread with good pictures.

Note, that you cannot re-use the head bolts, so while your getting a new head gasket, get a new set of bolts.

The manifolds do not need to come off the head while its in the car. You can pull the head off with them on and then remove them on the bench. Much easier.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpb View Post
...I need advice fast!!!

... I need any ...instructions, pictures, or any help you may think could make this job easier ... Thanks!! Dennis
all data diy . com for $27 will get the entire Service Manual faster than I could scan and post it.

I had it for a year to see the TSBs and repair info. There weren’t many TSBs and my SC2 never broke, so I let the subscription expire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
[url]...The manifolds do not need to come off the head while its in the car. You can pull the head off with them on and then remove them on the bench. Much easier.

Do the manifold bolts/studs come out of the head easily?
(my entire exhaust system needs replacing and I'm afraid of the manifold studs)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Do the manifold bolts/studs come out of the head easily?
(my entire exhaust system needs replacing and I'm afraid of the manifold studs)
Depends on your luck realy. Ive had some come out with the nut attached. Others required a little more force.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

They have a hex end on them. Tap on the end a half dozen times and crank them out with a 1/4 drive ratchet. If the head has corroded a bit then use the SAE size that fits tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
They have a hex end on them.
Wrong again. The exhaust manifold studs have an inverted torx head on them. They require an inverted torx socket to remove and install them, like this:

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

A 6 point socket fits nicely and they do come out. Or, if you insist you can go buy a tool you will only use once.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
A 6 point socket fits nicely and they do come out. Or, if you insist you can go buy a tool you will only use once.
Nice attempt at backtracking, but you clearly said they have a hex head on them, which they do not. I own a set of inverted torx sockets and they are invaluable when you need them. I've used them plenty of times. You know what they say--right tool for the job and all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

Just put two nuts on the stud jambed together,loosen by turning the back nut,tighten by turning on the front nut

Shame on you Squareback ,those are S & K !
Does the Snip-un man know you betrayed him ?

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

Last edited by Dr B; 03-05-2009 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: rant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

If you're replacing your exhaust system, you should leave the manifold in place (the exhaust manifold is technically part of the engine, not part of the exhaust system).

The only place I found those inverse torx fasteners is on the flange between the catalytic outlet and the resonator / main pipe. But for most of the country, that's moot, in that those fasteners would be so effing rusted by now that you'll most likely be cutting them off. I have a set of those inverse sockets ('80 Omni had a VW engine/tranny), and they were no help.

Manifold-to-downpipe studs on my '96 SW2 have standard hex nuts, as do the head-to-manifold studs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Getting back to pulling the head. I'd pull manifolds attached. Don't forget the head bolts are torque to yield. So, you'll need new bolts.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
hholbein
hholbein is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

I did purchase a set of those inverted Torx sockets awhile back when I needed to remove and repair the drivers seat. (Seat springs caught on something and several unhooked, making the Saturn even more of a LowRider.) I tried using the standard hex sockets, but I ended up with one stubborn bolt that wouldn't back out and started rounding off. Anyway, the sockets weren't terribly expensive ($8 to $15??), and aren't chromed, but they did the trick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
denniswpb

1998 SC2

Thanks guys! I just got back in town from a short business trip and this is the first chance I had to log on and check the responses to my question. I found a hell of a deal on a remanufactured head for the Saturn from J&C Enterprises in Fairmont, WV. They have a remanufactured head with the cam installed for only $249.00. I'll have it on Monday, but my son-in-law and I will start tearing it apart tomorrow.

I guess the only concern I have is do I have to remove the timing chain cover? Why can't I zip-tie the chains to the cam shaft sprocket, remove the bolts that hold the cam shaft sprockets on the cam shaft and take the head off? Any thoughts??

Dennis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help denniswpb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpb View Post
I guess the only concern I have is do I have to remove the timing chain cover? Why can't I zip-tie the chains to the cam shaft sprocket, remove the bolts that hold the cam shaft sprockets on the cam shaft and take the head off? Any thoughts??
And watch while the camshaft sprockets drop down the timing chain cover? There's nothing holding them up once you take them off the cams. You have to maintain constant tension on the chain to keep the tensioner from coming all the way out. The tensioner ratchets. It won't go back in on it's own once it's out. I've seen some interesting improvised methods that will allow you to change a camshaft without removing the cover but not for a head. You'll be able to get the head off with the cover on but, you're not going to be able to get everything back together without taking off the cover.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
skii33
skii33 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Check the block for cracks , I had a 97 that was spewing oil from a crack in the head that went from the front edge of where the valve cover sits to all the way to a cam follower. i put water in the car and it was leaking coolant from a crack in the block above the thermostat....this car had a blown radiator and must have been run hot a long time to crack the head and the block... Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skii33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skii33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
SaturnTech122
SaturnTech122 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

unbolt AC compressor and flop to the side by air intake snorkel, also take 3 bolts out of p/s bracket and sit against firewall,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech122's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech122 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
p-ROCK
p-ROCK is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Wrong again. The exhaust manifold studs have an inverted torx head on them. They require an inverted torx socket to remove and install them, like this:

Wrong again? I cant count on my feet how many times I knew he was right.

the correction mafia. lets get this mothaf

1996 SL2 5-speed Silver Pearl
134,000 miles
204k as of 01/12
220k as of 08/12

2002 Jaguar XKR Coupe Black
42,000 Miles
50k as of 01/12
52k as of 08/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to p-ROCK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help p-ROCK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
p-ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
denniswpb

1998 SC2

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I pulled the head off yesterday with no problems whatsoever because of the information you guys provided. Each time I got to a point, I remembered reading what someone said about it and I didn't make the same mistake (especially taking the timing chain cover off). I found the water pump had an excessive amount of play and it's being replaced also. The crack in the head was pretty apparent. It's right above the A/C mounting bracket and ran across the top of the head.

I did notice coolant in the cylinders sitting on top of the pistons. I checked for any obvious cracks in the block but did not see any. There was no oil in the radiator or lines when I drained it. Any comments on this? Thanks!!

Dennis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You can end up with some water in the cylinders depending on how well drained the head is before you pull it off. You also may have had a leaking head gasket to go with the crack. They tend to come in pairs. Clean it up and look at the cylinder walls. They will be fine. You might want to drop the pan and push the pistons out the top for a ring job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!