SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
SteveWoz
SteveWoz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Brand New Owner - Neat Car - First Question

My '08 Astra 5-door XR in Arctic White is very neat and suits me well. Great commuter car. Great Euro handling on the cheap. Great value, great looks. My first question (which I could have easily asked the dealer today on his courtesy call but totally forgot) concerns the Automatic Neutral Idle feature of the Automatic Transmission. Nice feature. I 've been doing this manually for years because my dad did it on his 1948 Dodge! I have read the manual's explanation, but there's nothing specific about a certain aspect I'm wondering about. That is, does the display light on the speedo change to N from D (though the stick stays on D)? If it is supposed to, my speedo stays on orange D. If it stays on D, but it turns to Neutral, I haven't sensed a change, but maybe it's not that perceptible. Thanks, and I look forward to reading all the interesting things on this site about this special car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteveWoz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteveWoz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteveWoz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Saturn#5
Saturn#5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Brand New Owner - Neat Car - First Question

hey welcome to the forum and the world of owning an Astra. The car shifts into neutral but the "D" remains on the speedo. You can feel the car come out of neutral and into drive when you release the brake pedal. Do you feel the slight momentary hesitation? That is the car shifting back into Drive!

Welcome again! Be sure to check out the threads on the forum for great info about a great car!
Congrats on the purchase!

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Adam Opel
Adam Opel is on a distinguished road

I have said it before that I hate this feature and I am still doing research on how to disable it.
Supposedly it is there to save fuel, but I have done the math and you don't save anything.
At idle, in drive, your consumtion is 1 l/h. In "neutral idle", the consumtion is 0.8 l/h. So, the reduced drag on the engine results in savings of 0.2 litres per hour provided you spend the whole hour in neutral idle. My commute is 45 minutes mixed traffic, and I estimate the whole time the car sits in neutral idle is less than 10 min. So the benefit is negligible (say 30-40 cents per week at current prices) So, annually I save about 18 dollars, hardly worth the annoyance from this useless feature that ruins this otherwise good car and makes it rough and unpleasant. I really think the engineer that came up with this idea deserves a kick in the nuts. (Or, maybe the idea came from the marketing department, because they wanted to be perceived as doing something for fuel economy even if it means to ruin the car's driveability: after all, that's what Honda has done with the Civic - works better on a specsheet than in real life)

Last edited by Adam Opel; 03-01-2009 at 12:09 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Adam Opel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Adam Opel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Adam Opel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

from what i was told was it has to be that way in europe and they didnt change it when they brought it to the s.u

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Drg0nzo10
Drg0nzo10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Opel View Post
I have said it before that I hate this feature and I am still doing research on how to disable it.
Supposedly it is there to save fuel, but I have done the math and you don't save anything.
At idle, in drive, your consumtion is 1 l/h. In "neutral idle", the consumtion is 0.8 l/h. So, the reduced drag on the engine results in savings of 0.2 litres per hour provided you spend the whole hour in neutral idle. My commute is 45 minutes mixed traffic, and I estimate the whole time the car sits in neutral idle is less than 10 min. So the benefit is negligible (say 30-40 cents per week at current prices) So, annually I save about 18 dollars, hardly worth the annoyance from this useless feature that ruins this otherwise good car and makes it rough and unpleasant. I really think the engineer that came up with this idea deserves a kick in the nuts. (Or, maybe the idea came from the marketing department, because they wanted to be perceived as doing something for fuel economy even if it means to ruin the car's driveability: after all, that's what Honda has done with the Civic - works better on a specsheet than in real life)
What does it do that bothers you so much?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Drg0nzo10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Drg0nzo10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Drg0nzo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

maybe it;s me but after driving the car for a few months I don't feel the tranny neutral feature anymore, nor does it slow me down in any way. I have never seen where it does anything to help my gas mileage nor lower rpm any more than normal, so I'm not exactly sure what it really is supposed to do except make me feel all warm and fuzzy, lol. IMHO, I think that utilizing the fuel cut-off by coasting, discussed in a previous thread does far more to help with fuel efficiency.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Opel View Post
Tell us how you really feel!

Oh, and welcome to SaturnFans, SteveWoz. Hope you stick around. There's plenty of great forum members here with lots of info to learn about our unique cars.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Adam Opel
Adam Opel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digency View Post
I noticed (since it snows alot here) If you put your car in snow mode, it will disable the neutral idle.
I didn't know that, but this is no solution because you are not going to drive in snow mode all the time just to avoid the neutral idle. Snow mode means you are stuck in 3rd gear all the time, at best it will kill your fuel economy, at worst it will fry up the transmission. It would be better if snow mode used 2nd gear, then you could probably use it in crawling traffic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Adam Opel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Adam Opel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Adam Opel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
fbrr
fbrr is on a distinguished road

Neutral idle only works in firsy gear, as you note, not in "snow mode" which is thrid gear. However, there is no way to disable this "feature" it is both a function of transmission design and operating software. It is not there "just because they have it in Europe".

Many more US base vehicles with automatic transmissions will soon have neautrl idle. I have done extensive testing ( vehicle dynomometers and emission benches) both with and without neutral idel under controlled conditions. It does improve fuel economy. And while I agree I do not like the feel at launch, any fuel economy improvements are here to stay.
With the increased Fuel Economy standards imposed by governement, anything that increases fuel economy will take precident over "minor" driveablity issues. To get "like" gains" from weight reduction as you get from Neutral idle cost a fortune!! It's all in the name of Fuel economy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fbrr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fbrr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fbrr is offline   Reply With Quote