SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
SalemCat
SalemCat will become famous soon enough

Default Does idling cause "SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE" ??

I just received an email from National Grid, which is Eastern Massachusetts Electric Company.

In their "Safety Tip of the Month" they state "In the winter months, it’s only advisable to “warm up” your car for one minute to circulate oil to all internal parts (severe engine damage may occur if the motor runs for long periods when the vehicle is not in motion)."

Huh ? Yeah, I know if you're running your Engine unattended there is no-one to catch critical Warning Lights, etc. But "severe engine damage" from simply idling ?

Total crap. Or is it ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalemCat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Does idling cause "SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE" ??

the only thing you're damaging is your wallet

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
the only thing you're damaging is your wallet
Not necessarily. Long idling with accompanying low oil pressure can cause lubrication problems in the valve train area of the engine. Cam bearings and roller tappets rely on splash lubrication up there. 600 rpm idling may not allow enough splash to get those parts lubed enough. To see for yourself, remove the oil cap in the valve cover at idle. Then rev the engine and see how much oil splashes around in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

I have had the temperature gauge go 'high' with long idles (in traffic) in one car. Granted it was Summer and a hot day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

With a properly designed engine, long idles should only waste gas. On poorly designed engines or an engine with a lot of sludge and varnish buildup (which restricts oil flow) it could spell trouble as some of the posters above mentioned.

Personally, I give it about a minute or two to warm up and then I go. We get a lot of 0-10F weather around here and that has served me well.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
With a properly designed engine, long idles should only waste gas. On poorly designed engines or an engine with a lot of sludge and varnish buildup (which restricts oil flow) it could spell trouble as some of the posters above mentioned.

Personally, I give it about a minute or two to warm up and then I go. We get a lot of 0-10F weather around here and that has served me well.

Best,
Sound advice. As long as you run the PROPER VISCOSITY (as in THIN) oil in cold weather (preferably a good quality synthetic) a minute or two of warm up to get the juices flowing (so to speak) is all that you need. Properly maintained, idling will do no damage at all (except to your MPG) I lived in the frozen North for 20 years...no engine failures, and there, (ungaraged) cars ran often for 15, 20 even 30 minutes on (remote) cold start up at idle in the winter nearly every day just to thaw them out enough to see to drive...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

On cold days i start , let run at idle for 2-5 minutes , shut down and continue morning chores for 5-35 minutes , then start , and drive off. My thinking is to allow the engine/tranny all warm up , and hopefully the fluids too. It seems to get close to nornal temp within 5 minutes .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Also It is not good to over do it (idling) mostly because of pollution.
But it helps the timing strap or chain to loosen-up a bit when it's very cold

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

when the engine idle its not oiling itself correctly.Plus a lot of carbon is building up on the pistons and valves and can cause preignition when the engine heats up and is pushed. Slow idle is very not good for your engine .Thats the reason why they have fast idle in diesel engines

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Hey im in Mass too! yeah..but back to the point..never heard such a thing on a good running engine! ok yea if there is build up and other issues but if ur engine is working the way it should, then nah, only thing ur hurting(like others said) is ur wallet..tho good to know about letting timing chain warm up abit..have always been taught dont start up and drive away in cold..i wait till needle moves a little bit..but with these new engines (esp 2.2l) the warm up (meaning the needle starts to move) within 30secs to a min...love this vue!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote