SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
btnadiga
btnadiga is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
1997 SL1
Default 96 SW1 turns over but does not start

When I turn the key, starter turns engine well, but the engine does not start.

Checked the spark plug wires and got good sparks. I have replaced the spark plugs and wires previously (6 months ago or so)

I also replaced the fuel filter about 6 months ago.

How do I ensure cylinders are getting fuel?

What are other possible things to check???

Your help greatly appreciated,
Balu

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to btnadiga's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help btnadiga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
btnadiga is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
heavyd10000
heavyd10000 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: 96 SW1 turns over but does not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by btnadiga View Post
When I turn the key, starter turns engine well, but the engine does not start.

Checked the spark plug wires and got good sparks. I have replaced the spark plugs and wires previously (6 months ago or so)

I also replaced the fuel filter about 6 months ago.

How do I ensure cylinders are getting fuel?

What are other possible things to check???

Your help greatly appreciated,
Balu
how about the coolant temp sensor?

and crank position sensor.

check this thread out for checking sensors - http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124184

1996 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC 5 spd 184K miles (bought 02/09 - Sold 08/2010).
Bought 92 Olds 88 Royale LS - 3800 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heavyd10000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heavyd10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
P.DADDY
P.DADDY is on a distinguished road

2000 SW1

When you turn the key to "on", you should be able to hear the fuel pump make a humming sound for a couple of seconds untill it pressures up the fuel system. If the pump is working, I'd check all the fuses under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to P.DADDY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help P.DADDY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
P.DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

I do not hear the whine of the fuel pump. Relay and fuse seem fine. So, that is surely a problem.

Wondering how difficult it is to replace the fuel pump? See that I have to remove the fuel tank to do that.

Suggestions and comments appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help btnadiga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
fujioko
fujioko is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1

I wouldn’t jump into the fuel pump replacement just yet.

You can pull the fuel pump relay and use a paper clip to jumper terminal 87 to terminal 30.

The fuel pump will turn on when the above pins are jumpered. If not then the problem is the fuel pump or wiring to fuel pump.

Pulling the gas tank is required for fuel pump replacement. I have never done this, but I expect it would not be easy.

96 SW1 5spd & trailer hitch 309000 miles <--rebuilt!
79 Triumph Spitfire <--British car
94 Mazda Miata 45MPG
91 Mazda Miata 3 cyl. 51MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fujioko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fujioko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fujioko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

30 input; 87 output

Jumpered 30 and 87. Don't think fuel pump is coming on.

Just to be sure does the fuel pump continue running as long as 30 and 87 are jumpered or does it turn off in 4-5 seconds?

BTW, do you know where the connector to the fuel pump is near the rear (near the fueling door) on a station wagon? On a sedan it is easily accessible from the trunk

Thanks Fujioko,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
fujioko

1996 SW1

The fuel pump will stay on as long as 87 and 30 are jumped…. Or until the battery goes dead.

A semi stupid idea… go ahead and jump the connections again then bang on the fuel tank with your fist.

I use the bang and kick method on industrial equipment. I can find an intermittent connection quite easily. Of course customers don’t like seeing me kick $100K worth of equipment.

As for fuel pump connection… no idea. I haven had a problem with any of my saturns so I never explored.

94 Mazda Miata 45MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fujioko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
fujioko

1996 SW1

Oh..

Another thing.

When you jump 87 to 30 you usually see a spark. If the fuel pump is drawing current then a little bit of sparking should be seen or heard

94 Mazda Miata 45MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
heavyd10000
heavyd10000 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by btnadiga View Post
30 input; 87 output

Jumpered 30 and 87. Don't think fuel pump is coming on.

Just to be sure does the fuel pump continue running as long as 30 and 87 are jumpered or does it turn off in 4-5 seconds?

BTW, do you know where the connector to the fuel pump is near the rear (near the fueling door) on a station wagon? On a sedan it is easily accessible from the trunk

Thanks Fujioko,
if u have it jumpered properly, the pump should be on aslond as u have it jumpered. The pump is not very loud, so go to the back of the car to listen.

1996 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC 5 spd 184K miles (bought 02/09 - Sold 08/2010).
Bought 92 Olds 88 Royale LS - 3800 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heavyd10000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heavyd10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

Don't see a spark on jumping 30 and 87. Don't hear the pump run. (jumping is ok because I see voltage at the fuse)

As for banging on the tank or connector, don't know where they are other than that they are somewhere to the rear. Perhaps below the rear seat? I can follow the fill pipe for just a few inches. After that, no idea where it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

there is a small plus (+) sign on the relay socket. You jump from that terminal to the upper right terminal to run the pump. You can do this with the key off as the terminal is hot at all times. You really should do it with the key off as a matter of fact. If these are the terminals you are jumpering then post back and I will look up the connector locations in the back. It could be a bad ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
fujioko

1996 SW1

The fuel tank is ahead of the rear axle. It is made of plastic.

There is a video on utube “Saturn Fuel Pump Troubleshooting 1”
The video shows a sedan, I wonder if the wagon has the connection in approximately the same location.

Give the video a look.

94 Mazda Miata 45MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I think its close. The ground is in the ground pack and its on the strut tower inside under the rug, I think. Have not looked yet. Really want to verify the right terminals have been jumpered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

This is where I presently stand:

Everything seems fine up to the 10A fuel pump fuse. I haven't been able to go any further rearwards from there and I do not hear the fuel pump.

Unlike on the sedans for which the fuel pump connector can be accessed from the trunk (Richpin video on youtube) there is no access or a panel that can be readily removed on the station wagon

Would jacking up the rear and sliding under be of any use if I'm not thinking of dropping the fuel tank yet. Chilton says the rear should be about 28in higher than the front. That sounds awfully high.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Next place to check is the fuel pump inline connector. It is located inside the car under the hatch sill on the left side. It has 4 pins you want to check for power and ground continuity back up stream and continuity between the hot wire and ground for the pump. The pins are designated with letters and the wires are color coded. Two of the wires are for the pump and 2 are for the sending unit.

Pins
a-grey .80mm +12v fuel pump
b-black/white .80mm ground sending unit
c-purple .80mm PCM power to sending unit
d-black .80mm ground fuel pump

See what you find. Keep the key off and just jumper the fuel pump relay and check continuity and voltage and ground for the pump in the back of the wagon.

This info is out of the 98 FSM so there might be a minor discrepancy. In most cases the fuel pump has been on A and D in that plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

OldNuc,

That is great. But just to be sure are you referring specifically to a station wagon??

I was able to locate the inline connector easily on my sedan, but the problem I'm having is on the station wagon (96 SW1).

BTW, I'll only be able to take a look at it later this evening

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, that is where they hid it in the station wagon. It is left of center (cars left) under the hatch sill channel inside the car. Probably is not real handy to get at. It is in the loom that feeds the taillights. It is also the only connector under there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
P.DADDY
P.DADDY is on a distinguished road

2000 SW1

Removing the fuel tank isn't too big of a hassle. I removed mine and replaced the pump in mine. As long as the tank is about empty, it isn't very heavy. Make sure you get the car up high enough on blocks so you have room to move around and also get the tank lowered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to P.DADDY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help P.DADDY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
P.DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Wood blocks and NOT concrete blocks. The jack stands with narrow bases are risky also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
btnadiga

1996 SW1
1997 SL1

How does one raise the rear of the vehicle using wood blocks? I've previously only used the provided jackstand (narrow base of course) and a pair of rhino ramps on the front. And the fuel tank is full. But I suppose with a long enough hose, I should be able to siphon it out. Also wondering how much a shop would charge to replace the pump.

I'll check the connector in the hatch sill today. When I put my ear to the fuel fill pipe when the fuel pump was to come on, I thought I heard some slight gurgling noises.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!