SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
JrmyCrss
JrmyCrss is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default 2006 Ion Knock Sensor Replacement

Hello All, New to the forum. I tried searching, and although i found some very usefull information, i could not find exactly what i'm looking for.

My mother has a 2006 Saturn Ion, she said the check engine light came on yesterday and advance auto checked it and said it was the knock sensor. After reviewing some of the posts here, i asked her some questions that seem to come up.

She hasn't changed the octane of gas she uses (probably low grade) Gets gas at the same place. She says there hasn't been a change in the cars driving, and that there is a clicking noise.

A Mechanic she has used before estimated 1500 or so to fix it, but unless the motor has to be pulled out to replace it, i cant see that kind of price.

I'm looking for a how to replace the knock sensor, she cant afford that price. She is in georgia about 8 hrs away from me, so i dont even know if she should drive it to tennessee so i could fix it. Any help is much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JrmyCrss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JrmyCrss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JrmyCrss is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Ion Knock Sensor Replacement

you can access the knock sensor from below, remove the starter motor, then remove the retaining bolt from the sensor, remove the connector from the wire. replace the sensor, then the starter motor. you don't need to pull a battery cable, there is no power going to the starter unless you try to start it. driving the car (as long as the sensor is the problem) is not bad for it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post

there is no power going to the starter
Except for the main power cable from the battery that goes to the starter.

The battery negative should be removed before removing the starter.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you're just moving it out of the way, sorry, wrong wording, but you don't have to pull it out of the car, just move it out of the way.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote