SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
melmar1999
melmar1999 is on a distinguished road

Default How soon can Saturn market an import

In my case, I am thinking of buying an Aura. But there has been so much talk of importing another type of vehicle. Wouldn't it take a year or two just to work out the liguistics of bringing a vehicle in. What about safety and emission concerns? Does anybody have the background to add to these topics? Wondering now, if I should wait for a saturn import. I know my sales rep won't be happy in having to wait. What possible vehicle can they bring in that could match the quality/price of an Aura, plus have the outstanding resale.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to melmar1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help melmar1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
melmar1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How soon can Saturn market an import

Melmar... One of the companies rumoured to be in talks with the Saturn group is TaTa motors. Here is an example of their Sedan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
melmar1999
melmar1999 is on a distinguished road

That seems like a nice car, probably a little smaller than the Aura. Does the TATA have dent resistent panels. After watching the movie "Slumdog Millionaire" India seems like a rough place full of a lot of people. Polymer panels on the "TaTa" would be a good idea. I wonder if that car was ever in any test crashes, it doesn't look like it has the safety attributes that our Aura has. I am still leading towards the Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to melmar1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help melmar1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
melmar1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
KoolVue
Advanced Member
KoolVue is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2002 VUE 3.0L

That thing looks like my dad's 98 Geo metro.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KoolVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KoolVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KoolVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

id buy the aura. no question about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

My DR string mower / brushcutter has bigger wheels than that. Looking at the wind blowing that tree in the background, I'm surprised that car is staying put.

As to your question, the answer is -- evidently, TOO soon. Or perhaps -- never. Saturn "marketed" an import last year (the Opel/Vauxhall/Chevy Astra), if you can call that "marketing". If they "market" whatever they import in the future the same way, it'll be equally doomed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy7 View Post
Melmar... One of the companies rumoured to be in talks with the Saturn group is TaTa motors.
All I have heard is China or a European maker...not India's Ta Ta...besides they bought some stake in Ford or something a few years ago, no? Or didn't they buy Jaguar? Land Rover?

I know Ta Ta has ties to Ford in some relation...can't see why they would buy/get/be interested in a GM nameplate...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: How soon can Saturn market an import

A car like the TaTa sedan pictured would be akin to the final nail in Saturn's coffin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post
A car like the TaTa sedan pictured would be akin to the final nail in Saturn's coffin.

Not my style of car, can't see how they would sell that in NA.

Remind me when LADA started to sell in Canada, alot of people
bought them because of the price, that did not last long.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Melmar... One of the companies rumoured to be in talks with the Saturn group is TaTa motors. Here is an example of their Sedan.

Never in my lifetime would I buy a TaTa from Saturn. Wrong direction... Why would anyone consider buying a third world car from an American car dealer?

Trouble is written all over this. Reminds me of the movie "Gung Ho"...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post

agreed. Oh, the horror!.....

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Melmar? Isn't that the stuff that ended up in the pet food from China, or whatever?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
TiVoPrince
TiVoPrince is on a distinguished road

Proving
that Saturn could be spun off will require Saturn (in whatever form) to source something for the 2009/2010 model year. Proving to investors that sourced vehicles can be the future of Saturn. This leaves almost no margin for errors in sourcing based on the GM timeline.

Without some kind of track record to point to, only a predatory investor with a 'third world' vehicle line to promote will be interested in Saturn in 2012 when the axe is about to fall.

Unless the domestic Saturn crew pulls an unlikely (sourcing) rabbit from a hat 2012 will seem to arrive very soon...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TiVoPrince's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TiVoPrince reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TiVoPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

Here's a Tata car being tested in camo....their camo looks more like a tent!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
All I have heard is China or a European maker...not India's Ta Ta...besides they bought some stake in Ford or something a few years ago, no? Or didn't they buy Jaguar? Land Rover?

I know Ta Ta has ties to Ford in some relation...can't see why they would buy/get/be interested in a GM nameplate...

Tata bought Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
id buy the aura. no question about it.
Might as well while you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
From what I've heard there's talks between a chinese and indian manufacturer. Either way I would not support Saturn under either one of those manufacturers. Maybe Saturn and Saab should team up. At least those would be some appealing cars that are not tin can piles of crap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
Germane German
Germane German is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Here's a Tata car being tested in camo....their camo looks more like a tent!

Actually I think that is just a female car in a country where that's how they roll.

On a more serious note I completely miss the point of this thread unless the Opel/Saturn Astra is not really considered an import just because GM owns Opel. Unless that somehow voids the premise (I don't see how it would) the answer to the "how soon" question is: About a year ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Germane German's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Germane German reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Germane German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I can't wait to see the positive spin here if Saturn does become an outlet for Chinese or Indian products!

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #19
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I can't wait to see the positive spin here if Saturn does become an outlet for Chinese or Indian products!
"Come to Saturn, where you can get your Chéri and some Tatas at the same time! We won't even haggle of the cost of the Tatas!!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #20
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: How soon can Saturn market an import

Come on down to your local Saturn retailer where you can get your hands on some nice Ta Tas and maybe even bust a Chery!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote