SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
cdog999
cdog999 is on a distinguished road

Default Estimating 89 inch lbs without Torque Wrench (Valve Cover Gasket replacement)

Greetings everyone. First time poster here. For my 1996 SL2, spark plug well #1 has oil leaking into it, and from all of my research it appears to be the valve cover gasket (which is the original).

I plan on replacing my Valve Cover Gasket, and I have all of the necessary tools except for the torque wrench. How can I estimate 89 inch lbs for tightening the bolts? Is this just slightly past hand tight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdog999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdog999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Estimating 89 inch lbs without Torque Wrench (Valve Cover Gasket replacement)

You have the plastic valve cover and the bolt goes into a shoulder washer that sets the maximum compression of the gasket. So, the torque spec, 89in-lb is the generic spec for tight enough for a 6mm bolt. There is nothing being held under any tension here other than the bolt. Use a nut driver and pull the bolts down evenly a quarter turn at a time till they are tight. Unless you are a gorilla you can not break them with a nut driver so tight will do it. Be sure that any old RTV is cleaned off of the bolts and out of the holes. A 7mm rifle brush and electric drill cleans them right out. Use a fiber bristle brush, not brass.

Last post in this thread has some conclusions on the art and science of stuffing the gasket into the cover. Its a good writeup.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129309

And, Welcome to the Forums!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
cdog999

Default Re: Estimating 89 inch lbs without Torque Wrench (Valve Cover Gasket replacement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You have the plastic valve cover and the bolt goes into a shoulder washer that sets the maximum compression of the gasket. So, the torque spec, 89in-lb is the generic spec for tight enough for a 6mm bolt. There is nothing being held under any tension here other than the bolt. Use a nut driver and pull the bolts down evenly a quarter turn at a time till they are tight. Unless you are a gorilla you can not break them with a nut driver so tight will do it. Be sure that any old RTV is cleaned off of the bolts and out of the holes. A 7mm rifle brush and electric drill cleans them right out. Use a fiber bristle brush, not brass.

Last post in this thread has some conclusions on the art and science of stuffing the gasket into the cover. Its a good writeup.

And, Welcome to the Forums!
Thanks for the quick response. From reading the other thread it appears you recommend coating the gasket grove with a small amount of RTV. Is this needed? Doesn't the Fel-pro gasket eliminate the need for this RTV here?*

*I do have a new container of black RTV which I had only planed on using at the two points where the timing chain and head meet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdog999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

You do not need it in the grove. It is only recommended as a replacement for proper positioning of the gasket. Each leg of the gasket is a bit long and the "extra" has to be evenly distributed throughout the entire length. the RTV is slick and it will allow the gasket to slide slightly while being torqued down. If its put in right to start with you do not need or want it. If you lay the gasket out on the bench you can see how much extra is on each side and just make sure it stays on those sides. Insert the corners and then the middle of each side and then the middle of the bulge on each side and repeat till its close then turn it over on a clean sheet of paper and gently press down. It should be good to go. It takes longer to get the gasket in the cover than it does to put it on the head. This is one of those jobs where the preparation is the hardest part. Everything has to be oil free clean. Acetone is a good final cleaning wipe.

That timing cover/head joint RTV should be allowed to skin over before you put the cover on so it has some filling ability.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
cdog999

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That timing cover/head joint RTV should be allowed to skin over before you put the cover on so it has some filling ability.
How long do you estimate I would need to wait after applying the RTV? About 30 minutes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Its temperature dependent. If its in the 70s 10 minutes is plenty. Lower temperature means longer. When you touch it and it does not stick to your finger its about there. Put it on the head and a test gob on a board. When you can poke at it and its like a water balloon its skinned. Poke gently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

I have the same problem, what is with the 1st spark plug well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Usually the problem with the first plug well is the installation technique.

INTAKE SIDE
9 - 5 - 6 -10
3 - 1 - 2
8 - 4 - 7 - 11
EXHAUST SIDE

You tighten each bolt 1/4 turn at a time in sequence, if you do not then it will leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
cdog999

I'm currently stuck...

It appears the cover has a plastic gasket already in there. I was expecting some sort of rubberized gasket (similar to the Fel-pro one that I am planing to install). It seems like its going to be a bear to pull this plastic gasket out. Any suggestions? Even the gasket for the 4 wells appears to be on there really tight. Am I completely losing my mind? I must be missing something...

Also, with regards to the 11 bolts, they are 10mm ones and they don't come completely out... What are the 11 grommets actually used for? Should I not even worry about utilizing these?

I thought this was going to be easy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

The old gasket will just pull right out. Assuming the one thats there isnt a gooped in RTV job.

But from the sounds of it, you may have the incorrect replacement gasket. Whats the Fel-Pro part# of the gasket you have?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

1996 was the change over year for the valve covers. Depending when the engine/car was made it may have the metal VC or the black composite one. Differetn gaskets and proceedures for them.

What VC do you have? The silver metal one or the black composite (plastic) one?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
1996 was the change over year for the valve covers. Depending when the engine/car was made it may have the metal VC or the black composite one. Differetn gaskets and proceedures for them.

What VC do you have? The silver metal one or the black composite (plastic) one?
According to the parts book, 1996 only had plastic ones. Or else it would list the aluminum one up until VIN#xxxxxx for 1996.

The only odd notation is to use a 96-98 gasket on the rare compostie 1994 covers.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
cdog999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
The old gasket will just pull right out. Assuming the one thats there isnt a gooped in RTV job.

But from the sounds of it, you may have the incorrect replacement gasket. Whats the Fel-Pro part# of the gasket you have?
Yes, it is the black valve cover. The Fel-pro part# is VS50454R, which is the current replacement for the 96 DOHC per every site I've looked at.

What's strange is the hard plastic for the old gasket that is currently on the valve cover. This was a big surprise since I knew the Fel-pro VS50454R is rubber. I was expecting something very similar...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

I will tell you how I estimated 89in lbs when I did my gasket. [x]tightens BREAK![x] ****!!!!!!!!! [x]tightens another one BREAK![x] GOD **** MOTHER ******! Yupp I didn't do a good job at estimating it. At that point I didn't know they were only 89in lbs though so I figured just tighten them pretty good, doesn't work to good.

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
Kaervak
Kaervak is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I know it's a little late, but Harbor Freight has a 1/4" drive inch-lbs torque wrench for $20. There's a 20% off coupon that's valid until this Monday which brings the price down to $16. Probably not the greatest quality torque wrench on the planet, but I picked one up anyway. Haven't had a chance to use it just yet unfortunately.

You can find the coupon on fatwallet.com, just search for harbor freight.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you use a low cost click type wrench be sure to camp a sacrificial bolt in a vice and click it several times at the desired torque setting before use. For the cam cover bolts torquing to 85 or 86 in-lb will be quite adequate if you clean out the holes.

Data on the final accuracy of the torque wrench vs the SWAG

To get your 35% you do have to know what the correct target value is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

They break? Huh. 89in lbs, if in lbs directly converts to ft lbs is roughly 7ft lbs. I'd estimate that the ECTS gets tightened roughly the same as the VC bolts, so if you break the bolts you'd probably also break the ECTS

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
cdog999

Update: I was able to get the old gasket off the valve cover using a box cutter and some twisting and turning

But, what the heck are the 11 valve cover grommets used for? I can't see any reason to use them, or how I even would use them with the 11 bolts. Why are these provided with the Fel-pro Gasket kit? Are these even needed (I can't get the bolts all of the way off, they stay on the valve cover...)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

IIRC the grommets are used like washers. They are placed in the holes on top of the cover and then the bolts are put through them.

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

The origional gromets tend to not come off the bolts, so it'll make it look like there's no where to put the new ones. Take the old (probably black) ones off and put the new (probably blue) ones on.

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote