SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

Default Insane CDN numbers

When you break it down the way the article from CDN press does....its nuts.

In order to survive its present financial crisis, GM is asking for between $6 to $7 billion from Canadian federal and provincial governments. If the sum is to be $7 billion, this means that the Canadian governments will be paying at least $1 million, for each of GMs remaining 7,000 Canadian employees.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
MrHorspwer
MrHorspwer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Insane CDN numbers

Quote:
In order to survive its present financial crisis, GM is asking for between $6 to $7 billion from Canadian federal and provincial governments. If the sum is to be $7 billion, this means that the Canadian governments will be paying at least $1 million, for each of GMs remaining 7,000 Canadian employees.
You didn't credit a source for this quote, so I went ahead and googled the text. It linked me to the Canada Free Press site... where I was promptly warned by my virus protection of an HTML script virus.

Hmmm, that's just the place I 'd trust to get my news... the site that resorts to off-loading a virus to visitors.

Nevermind that the article in question is actually an editoral and doesn't provide any source for its figures. Also nevermind that the Canada Free Press was called a "wacko news site" by the Toranto Star and it's editor, Judi McLeod, was desceribed as an "emotionally incontinent ninth grader," by a fellow conservative journalist.

The author of the editorial, Dr. Brakna Lapajne, seems to be an expert on geneology. This obviously makes her uniquely qualified to comment on the auto industry.

What's next? Article snippets from The Onion?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrHorspwer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrHorspwer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrHorspwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
railguy7

Hey Mr.Horsepower....read any newspapers lately?? I grabbed the figure from one of hundreds of news stories...I guessed you missed them all. Well, just to save you time...is the Globe & Mail good enough for you?..lol

Canadian taxpayers are being asked to provide at least $6-billion to the Detroit Three auto makers and the two most troubled companies say they need a big chunk of the money immediately.

The total bill could soar to $7.2-billion...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

The economy will recover. It always has.

Is this money loans or outright grants?

The larger question is what car manufacturers do you want left?

Toyota and Nissan?

And is Japan bailing out those companies now? Directly or indirectly.

Simplistic answers come from simple people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
railguy7

I want companies that are well managed..with realistic labor costs and realistic debt loads...period. Until such time as the Detroit three put themselves into that business stream nothing will change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!