SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Breaking News: Saturn to be Spun Off from General Motors, Brand to Return to Its Root

A new story entry has been added:

Breaking News: Saturn to be Spun Off from General Motors, Brand to Return to Its Roots as a Different Kind of Car Company

Quote:
Hot on the heels of Rick Wagoner's announcement yesterday evening that Saturn faces an uncertain future at General Motors, comes news that plans have already been set in motion to separate the import-fighting brand from the faltering auto giant. The resulting entity will be a new, independent car company that's able to source cars from other automakers built to Saturn's specifications.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Breaking News: Saturn to be Spun Off from General Motors, Brand to Return to Its

This is good news! If Saturn can spec a "CUBE" car and a 2 seat replacement for the SKY, and a all round good small 4dr like the original Saturn. Then there is hope.

Go back the start. But, only one platform, for now. And make a 5 door, cubic tall stubby wagon. And a trim 2 seater with a turbo4, all laid back and low looking, a basic transpo vehicle like the sl1 & sl2.

Economy, versatility and fun. DO IT!

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Breaking News: Saturn to be Spun Off from General Motors, Brand to Return to Its

Such a strategy is doomed to failure. You can't be in the business of producing cars and have no direct control over your manufacturing. You effectively just become a maker of nameplates. That hasn't worked out so well for Saturn in the past. More of the same from GM....I can't imagine the franchise holders going along with this.

Last edited by Ritz; 02-18-2009 at 08:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
chops
chops is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
The resulting entity will be a new, independent car company that's able to source cars from other automakers built to Saturn's specifications.
This sounds like a good news/bad news situation. The good news is that Saturn will return to its independent state, free to make and sell cars its way. The bad news is that this smacks a lot of Geo all over again. Not that Geo cars were bad (the Prizm being a prime example)...but in every case you could get an equivalent car elsewhere, which I think led to Geo's demise.

However, if these other manufacturers are building uniquely Saturn cars and not simply rebadging, this may just work...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

So Saturn went from its original roots of original GM cars to Oldsmobile version 2 by going upscale to now Geo version 2? Ugh!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
pmj
pmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The resulting entity will be a new, independent car company that's able to source cars from other automakers built to Saturn's specifications.
First on the list should be to call Tesla Motors. Keep the lines open with GM, particularly for the two-mode hybrid. Take a look at the Honda GX NGV (natural gas). Focus on new technologies, find a partner for battery technology. Keep the dealer network/approach, look into assembly facilities.

Unless Tesla wants to provide a replacement for the Sky, look at about 3 models, effectively upgrading/replacing the Astra, Aura and Vue. Get moving though, they've only got a couple of years to get all this into gear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pmj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pmj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i think this is really great and at least saturn will have a chance to survive. geo wasnt a car as such it was chevolets name. which was supposed to make things less confusing but it didnt, for any joint venture car with another company.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
dorseto

Wait, this news isn't anywhere near official. It's just a 'reliable source' telling Saturnfans right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
s4turngolf3r
s4turngolf3r is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

if this is true and this works, i will seriously love to see the look on GM's face. They can source cars from overseas until they gain the money to build a manufacturing plant. Thus, these new cars would be new to Us consumers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s4turngolf3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s4turngolf3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s4turngolf3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4turngolf3r View Post
if this is true and this works, i will seriously love to see the look on GM's face. They can source cars from overseas until they gain the money to build a manufacturing plant. Thus, these new cars would be new to Us consumers.
Hypothetically speaking....if they "source" the cars from somewhere else, that "somewhere else" needs to make a profit, right? Saturn hasn't been able to make a profit using this business model today. What makes you think it will be different if they are "spun off?" Seriously. I can't see how, but perhaps you have more insight into the situation than I do. Break it down for me so I can understand.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseto View Post
Wait, this news isn't anywhere near official. It's just a 'reliable source' telling Saturnfans right now.
It's just as "official" as all the reports circulating on here for the past 3 months saying Saturn is "officially" dead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: Breaking News: Saturn to be Spun Off from General Motors, Brand to Return to Its

The only problem (at least initially) is where will these first "new" Saturns come from? China and India? Uh, no thanks.

On the other hand, if Opel separates from GM and Saturn becomes the American outlet for their vehicles, than consider me very interested.

Hopefully this new Saturn makes better decisions than the nitwits running GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

If and only if this proves to be true, I would hope Saturn would at least get one GM mnfg plant out of the deal. However unlikely it may be. (And even more unlikely would be if it could get Spring Hill. They could go completely back to their roots and restart.) It would take some burden off of GM and give this Saturn Corporation a decent chance.

I also second the Tesla Motors idea. That should definitely be the VERY first call this new (proposed) Saturn organzation makes. It would be nice to see them go purely hybrid and alternative energy. And with Tesla's all-electric Roadster, I'm sure they could probably work out a decent partnership there

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
IONfan2
IONfan2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SW2

Talk about your emotion roller coaster!

First, I read about Saturn being phased out by 2012, and I was

Now, I read that Saturn is leaving GM and becoming independent!

I am really looking forward to seeing this new "Small Car"!!! I am also glad to hear Saturn will be leaving that leech. Good riddance to GM!!! Please Saturn, bring back the polymer! Also, while your at it, maybe kick the Chevy Traverse out of your rightful home!!! Maybe bring back the "Saturn Homecomings" too? I would always like to go to one of those!

2002 SC2 (78,000 miles) I LOVE my Saturn! =]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONfan2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONfan2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IONfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

This will not work as stated. How can you make your own unique product is your have no manufacturing and engineering? Selling a re-badged whatever is no different than selling a re-badged GM product. At least if Saturn became the US Opel, but selling those vehicles as a seperate GM owned company, while doing so like they originally did, they would have the uniqueness. To survive they would have to make it like it was in 1990 Seperate but GM, but with more emphasis on the seperate. Otherweise I think Saturn totally seperate will fail.

And personally I got into Saturn because it was the unique brand of GM. I am the son of a GM/Delphi lifer, and work for GM's main wheel bearing supplier. If there is no GM in Saturn, I doubt I would ever buy another one. And I've bought 7 in the last 8 years.

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
ChrisL
ChrisL has a spectacular aura aboutChrisL has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

This is a joke...Right?

'99 SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
dorseto

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
It's just as "official" as all the reports circulating on here for the past 3 months saying Saturn is "officially" dead.
Yeah, the only difference is the news the past three months has been from reliable news sites, not fan sites.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
So basically rebadges of other manufactures cars instead of GM cars.

I'm sure a Corolla with a Saturn badge would sell better than the Astra. Even though if both were identical cars, the Corolla would get better ratings.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
ChrisL
ChrisL has a spectacular aura aboutChrisL has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Saturn dealers hope to spin off Saturn from GM into a new company, said Dan Januska, owner of Saturn of Scottsdale in Arizona. Mr. Januska, who is on the Saturn Dealer Council, said Saturn dealers would open to selling vehicles made by Indian or Chinese makers that would be sold as Saturns.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123489494750801713.html

'99 SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Is it April 1st already? Man! That was one hell of a nap!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote