SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
banana944
banana944 is on a distinguished road

Default All gears are forward gears?!

Well my sisters 95 SL had the reverse slam. Tried the cure, didnt work and I ordered a rebuilt valvebody from Wolfman. Finally got around to putting it in yesterday and now all hell has broke loose.

The new valve body looked slightly different, and I wonder if the old body which had 94 & 95 stamped on it was different for those 2 years?

But the real issue is that I put the rebuilt valve body in and now all the gears P R N D 3 2 all make the car go forward. There is no neutral in any spots and when it is in park it is deffinatly still trying to go forward. What the hell happened?

I took it all apart to make sure I didnt mess anything up and too make sure the arm on the VB was positioned correctly and it was. I then put the old VB back in to see if it was an issue with the rebuilt VB and now the old valve body is acting the same, all gears make it go forward?

HELP?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banana944's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banana944 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banana944 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
heavyd10000
heavyd10000 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: All gears are forward gears?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana944 View Post
Well my sisters 95 SL had the reverse slam. Tried the cure, didnt work and I ordered a rebuilt valvebody from Wolfman. Finally got around to putting it in yesterday and now all hell has broke loose.

The new valve body looked slightly different, and I wonder if the old body which had 94 & 95 stamped on it was different for those 2 years?

But the real issue is that I put the rebuilt valve body in and now all the gears P R N D 3 2 all make the car go forward. There is no neutral in any spots and when it is in park it is deffinatly still trying to go forward. What the hell happened?

I took it all apart to make sure I didnt mess anything up and too make sure the arm on the VB was positioned correctly and it was. I then put the old VB back in to see if it was an issue with the rebuilt VB and now the old valve body is acting the same, all gears make it go forward?

HELP?!

I had this problem before, but not sure the same, my problem was that the clutch plates seized together.

not sure what u mean by "had the reverse slam".

but if the clutches are seized together, put it in drive hit about 25 mph and through it in reverse, should release them, but if they are seized the tranny needs a rebuild, even if that procedure works.

1996 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC 5 spd 184K miles (bought 02/09 - Sold 08/2010).
Bought 92 Olds 88 Royale LS - 3800 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heavyd10000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heavyd10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Did you put the linkage from the shifter cable (a rod in side the trans) into the manual shift valve in the valve body?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
banana944
banana944 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Did you put the linkage from the shifter cable (a rod in side the trans) into the manual shift valve in the valve body?

Could you elaborate on this a little more? I think you may be onto something. When I first took apart the VB there was a little rod in the tranny that seemed to be in a different orientation when I took it apart second time around. Is that arm supposed to fit onto the VB somehow?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banana944's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banana944 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banana944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana944 View Post
Could you elaborate on this a little more? I think you may be onto something. When I first took apart the VB there was a little rod in the tranny that seemed to be in a different orientation when I took it apart second time around. Is that arm supposed to fit onto the VB somehow?
That arm that kinda looks like the tremelo bar on a guitar slides into a tube like
looking thing called the manual valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote