SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Breaking News: Saturn Continues to Explore Options, Faces Shutdown in 2011 if No Viab

A new story entry has been added:

Breaking News: Saturn Continues to Explore Options, Faces Shutdown in 2011 if No Viable Alternative Found

Quote:
General Motors Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner announced during a news conference this evening that Saturn will remain in operation through the end of the planned lifecycle for all Saturn products (2010-11). In the interim, should Saturn retailers as a group or other investors present a plan that would allow a spin off or sale of Saturn Distribution Corporation, GM would be open to any such possibility. If a spin off or sale does not occur, it is GM's intention to phase out the Saturn brand at the end of the current product lifecycle.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Breaking News: Saturn Continues to Explore Options, Faces Shutdown in 2011 if No

I'm watching the news conference right now too. So basically, kill Oldsmobile, change Saturn into Oldsmobile, kill Saturn, Turn Buick into Oldsmobile, then ...

I guess I've been fooled twice now. I bought an Oldsmobile Alero new about 1 year before they killed Olds. I bought an Astra about 5 months before they kill Saturn.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
bkskatersd
bkskatersd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Breaking News: Saturn Continues to Explore Options, Faces Shutdown in 2011 if No

I can't quite say that all hope is gone, but hope is definitely fading............ but, wouldn't it be cool if the dealers were able to spin Saturn off of GM and make it successful. One could almost see a Shakespearean irony, Saturn, the prodigy child scorned by its siblings, becoming a success after it is freed from the bickering bureaucracies of GM. So free that it becomes the only survivor of what was once GM. .......snap back to reality.

Its been a fun ride and I thoroughly enjoyed every Saturn I've owned, but "all good things must come to an end." It's a sad day and I worry for the mechanics and sales folks I've known for the past 12 years. They are good people, they know how to treat a customer, and deserve better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bkskatersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bkskatersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bkskatersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

Well the honeymoon is over. It is a shame. Saturn built great cars and overall my dealer experience was very good over the years. I hope the saturn personnel can move to other dealers within the industry.
I love the brand and sad to see it end. I'm going to be looking for another car soon and now I have to decide whether to buy one more saturn new or used or switch to another brand. Right now I honestly am undecided.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

The only good thing as far as I'm concerned is I was able to lease my Astra a year ago, a 4 years term and it looks like Saturn might survive until then or so.... I even convinced my father to purchase an Astra last summer...

I will never trust GM after that. Saturn was the only reason I stayed with GM to encourage our economy (remember in mid90, Saturns were still made in US), I had so many troubles with other GM products before that. They wont fool me again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Here is my official announcememnt...GM can 'kiss off'. I'm done with them. Saturn brought me back from the foreign car companies and I have 2 of them. Now GM has sent me back to the foreign cars.

I have never been able to find an independent mechanic that didn't rip me off, yet I found 1 decent and one excellent Saturn dealership that I trusted for service and that's where I was going to buy my next vehicle (Vue most likely).

I won't be doing that. I wonder how parts and service will be for me now, since I own older cars ('96 SL2 and '02 L200). Does GM think that after taking a 'heaping helping' of my tax dollars and then leaving me out in the cold, that I'll decide on an Equinox? LOL! Don't hold your breath.

Good bye Saturn. You gave me 2 'great ships' and we thank you.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Here is my official announcememnt...GM can 'kiss off'. I'm done with them. Saturn brought me back from the foreign car companies and I have 2 of them. Now GM has sent me back to the foreign cars.

I have never been able to find an independent mechanic that didn't rip me off, yet I found 1 decent and one excellent Saturn dealership that I trusted for service and that's where I was going to buy my next vehicle (Vue most likely).

I won't be doing that. I wonder how parts and service will be for me now, since I own older cars ('96 SL2 and '02 L200). Does GM think that after taking a 'heaping helping' of my tax dollars and then leaving me out in the cold, that I'll decide on an Equinox? LOL! Don't hold your breath.

Good bye Saturn. You gave me 2 'great ships' and we thank you.

Andy
Now is the time to start working on your cars yourself (you'd be surprised at how easy that 96SL2 is to work on). Buy some tools.

Find a good reputable independent mechanic; one that you can get to know on a FIRST NAME Basis...

Visit Salvage Yards/Junkyards and Pick-n-Pulls Yards. You'd be surprised at how inexpensive and how long a used part will go on a car.

www.car-part.com

Just some resources for you to consider

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

[QUOTE=2NDSOUT;1401415]Now is the time to start working on your cars yourself (you'd be surprised at how easy that 96SL2 is to work on).QUOTE]

I actually do a ton of work on both of them, but there are some things I can't do. I had a serious back surgery 7 years ago and I am somewhat limited. If it's a real back breaker of a job, I can't tackle it.

Thanks very much for the resourses. I'll be saving that link! I'll be honest, I'll never scrounge at a pick 'n pull though, especially for my wife's car. I just won't be able to spend the extra time. When there is a problem, she needs that car for work...and fast! Plus, that will mean extra work and my back would probably be shot just getting the part home.

I'd be thrilled to find an independent mechanic to trust. It hasn't been easy over the years though. It's gonna be tough because of how honest and reliable the one Saturn dealer has been.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Now is the time to start working on your cars yourself (you'd be surprised at how easy that 96SL2 is to work on).
I actually do a ton of work on both of them, but there are some things I can't do. I had a serious back surgery 7 years ago and I am somewhat limited. If it's a real back breaker of a job, I can't tackle it.

Thanks very much for the resourses. I'll be saving that link! I'll be honest, I'll never scrounge at a pick 'n pull though, especially for my wife's car. I just won't be able to spend the extra time. When there is a problem, she needs that car for work...and fast! Plus, that will mean extra work and my back would probably be shot just getting the part home.

I'd be thrilled to find an independent mechanic to trust. It hasn't been easy over the years though. It's gonna be tough because of how honest and reliable the one Saturn dealer has been.

Andy
Andy,

Understandable. If it helps you out...start talking to the Saturn Mechanic and Service Advisors that have worked on your cars NOW...

I can tell you from experience...I have a good working relationship with the Dealership Service Managers and Mechanics. The dealership is 7 miles from my house; but my friend who is a former Saturn Mechanic (worked for them for 14+ years)...I first met him while he was still working for Saturn....that was 2002. I walked out to talk to the Service Manager (who had helped me out a few times), and I had asked him if I could talk to the Mechanic that was working on my car...from that day, that's when my friendship with my Mechanic started.

My Mechanic just recently replaced the shifter cables in my 94 SL2 out at his house for $125....normally a job at the dealership that runs over $300.

Now is the time to befriend the Mechanic/ and / or / Mechanics that have worked on your car and ask them if they do any outside work or if they will be leaving Saturn, etc. I am sure there is someone there that can help you out. I'm on a first name basis with everyone at my dealership.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Dewey1949
Dewey1949 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
1999 SW1

I purchase my first Saturn in September 2008, Lost the dealership I purchased it from in January 2009, now I am facing loss of the brand. I have about 9000 KM (about 5500 miles) on my Aura. Hopefully GM will arrange with its Chev and Pontiac dealers to cover warranty repairs as I see many more Saturn dealers closing out. So far have no concerns with car, just a feeling that I should have purchased a Malibu.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dewey1949's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dewey1949 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dewey1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Now is the time to befriend the Mechanic/ and / or / Mechanics that have worked on your car and ask them if they do any outside work or if they will be leaving Saturn, etc. I am sure there is someone there that can help you out.
Thanks Bryan, good idea. I need brakes on the wife's car (one of those jobs that kills my back), so I'll go in and start talking to some folks and see if I can make any contacts.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

everybody needs to get a set of Saturn Service Manuals before they're gone.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #13
mattm
mattm is on a distinguished road

After my great experiences with multiple S series cars and my AWFUL experience with the L series cars I can't say I am surprised. In fact my fathers 04 VUE sounds like the front end is gonna fall off the car at less than 100k. I have to say that the Saturn Of Columbus salespersons and services technicians have been far less than adequate. I don't want to see anyone loose their jobs but the Saturn of Columbus people have provided subpar service from their support of an obviously faulty L series to their sale of a "certified" used L series that was given no more than a cursory glance. I understand that Charlie worships Al Clapsaddle and he is employed by Saturn of Columbus and thus this message will be deleted. I just want everyone to understand that the Saturn of Columbus folks and Saturn themselves have noone but themselves to blame for this situation.

My 04 L300 was so bad that I will have to look long and hard at any GM vehicle. That said I absolutely will never purchase any vehicle from the remains of Saturn of Columbus as they are almost entirely staffed with people who lie of their own volition or are forced to lie by the lack of quality in the Saturn products.

I have never been so happy to be rid of my post 2000 saturn vehicles. The lesson here is that when you build a subpar product the market does respond and you end up with a brand that nobody wants as witnessed by GM's unsuccessful attempts to sell the brand to ANYONE who is even remotely interested.

I have to mention that Jill Lajdziak has been entirely overwhelmed by the job and obviously overmatched by the job. It is a shame to see the company being run into the ground by obviously subpar management.

This all sounds bad and I am sure this will be deleted by Charlie, however I was an original Saturn customer with multiple S series cars and a couple of L series cars. I now own Mazdas and Toyotas as the Saturn quality and support is gone. Even the Mazdas absolutley surpass the quality provided by Saturn in the past 9 years from my experience.

Last edited by mattm; 02-18-2009 at 03:02 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
dulino
Advanced Member
dulino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey1949 View Post
I purchase my first Saturn in September 2008, Lost the dealership I purchased it from in January 2009, now I am facing loss of the brand. I have about 9000 KM (about 5500 miles) on my Aura. Hopefully GM will arrange with its Chev and Pontiac dealers to cover warranty repairs as I see many more Saturn dealers closing out. So far have no concerns with car, just a feeling that I should have purchased a Malibu.
I see your pain.

I am done with GM. They can @#$% off for all I care. I've been defending them for years. I've done my part and I am on my 3rd Saturn now. But enough is enough. First my local dealership is gone, and now the entire brand.

I was such a fool. I fell for their 100000 mile warranty gimmick. What an idiot I was thinking that Hyundai and Kia may stop operating in the United States before the warranty is up. Now look at them -- thriving while GM is suffering.

Wake up you all -- GM is back to the Treasury begging for more free money to stay alive. If they don't get it none of your warranties will be serviced. I have a 2008 VUE -- I am concerned I won't even have parts for it.

I stopped buying Ford because of a horrible dealership experience. I stayed with Saturn because they were good to me and now GM is screwing me over. I've had enough of this bullcrap. Assuming my car survives the lease term of another 2 years I will not be buying another GM car ever again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dulino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
dulino
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
everybody needs to get a set of Saturn Service Manuals before they're gone.
A service manual won't do you any good if you can't buy parts anymore, and the way things are going none of the American cars will have parts made for them by year end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulino View Post
A service manual won't do you any good if you can't buy parts anymore, and the way things are going none of the American cars will have parts made for them by year end.
Car manufacturers, by law; HAVE to make parts available for cars up to 10 years after they are out of production.

Parts will be plentiful...I guess you have never gone to a Salvage/Junk yard before. Lots of S-Series cars in many yards across the country.

www.car-part.com may become everybody's friend here in the short term for parts.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Car manufacturers, by law; HAVE to make parts available for cars up to 10 years after they are out of production.

Parts will be plentiful...I guess you have never gone to a Salvage/Junk yard before. Lots of S-Series cars in many yards across the country.

www.car-part.com may become everybody's friend here in the short term for parts.
To be honest, I'm not familiar with this law. However, I wonder how the provisions of such a law would be affected by the company going bankrupt. I suspect there weren't any Delorean parts produced after they went tango uniform.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #18
dulino
Advanced Member

Quote:

No law will matter if they have no money to make the parts.

Not all of us are driving 15 year old junk cars made of junk yard parts. Some of us fell for Saturn's new 100,000 mile warranty and got into a 2008 VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:

Not all of us are driving 15 year old junk cars made of junk yard parts. Some of us fell for Saturn's new 100,000 mile warranty and got into a 2008 VUE.
Or for a 2008 Astra.
With that, they're weren't any replacement parts to begin with...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:

Hey now!! You watch what you are saying! Just because I drive around in a 94 SL2 doesn't mean that I don't still get good gas mileage (which I do.)

You may think an S-Series is a junk car...more power to you; but I guaranteed you that my S-Series cars are not all junk yard parts. Aside from that...let's see if any of "Today's Junk" will ever make it to 300K miles or more on an original engine.

Chances are...probably not. Today's society is consumed with..."If it's broke, I can't fix it, don't know how to fix it, and don't care how to fix it. Time to buy something new."

I'm not in that camp. I prefer to drive my car because it is what I know best.

Don't insult me because I drive a 15 year old car....it's uncalled for.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!