SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn "Pro

A new feeditems entry has been added:

February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn "Probably" Dies

Quote:
Jamie LaReau from Automotive News: Bob Lutz says GM's struggling Saturn brand probably won't survive. "My personal favorite would be to see Saturn survive and prosper," GM's vice chairman told Automotive News. "But frankly, the reality is that that is probably not going to be the outcome." He added: "We spent a huge bundle of money in giving Saturn an absolutely no-excuses product lineup, top to bottom. They had a better and fresher lineup than any GM division, and the sales just never materialized. So we have to act on that. It's our duty."

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Joep76
Joep76 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L
2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Sad Re: February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn

That seals it for me as well. I had a good feeling this was going to be the fait for Saturn. As soon as the pulled funding and removed the future products from there site I knew it was over. I was right.
It was a good ride for a Saturn. At least it went out with a bang.
:t ear:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joep76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joep76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joep76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Default Re: February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn

Interesting that Lutz would say this...to me; his comments are the equivalent of a two-faced liar.

One one hand, he "supports" Saturn "My personal favorite would be to see Saturn survive and prosper,", but then on the other hand he's been part of the Stabbing in the back of Saturn since he first came to GM....

Thanks BOB for all of your HARD EARNED WORK...don't let June 1st hit you too hard on the way out....

Schmuck.

Thanks for "Everything".

This just confirms my affirmation that I will continue to drive the cars that I have now....screw GM and every other Car company. I'll drive the cars I own now until they can't be driven anymore.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Default Re: February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Interesting that Lutz would say this...to me; his comments are the equivalent of a two-faced liar.

One one hand, he "supports" Saturn "My personal favorite would be to see Saturn survive and prosper,", but then on the other hand he's been part of the Stabbing in the back of Saturn since he first came to GM....

Thanks BOB for all of your HARD EARNED WORK...don't let June 1st hit you too hard on the way out....

Schmuck.

Thanks for "Everything".

This just confirms my affirmation that I will continue to drive the cars that I have now....screw GM and every other Car company. I'll drive the cars I own now until they can't be driven anymore.
Normally I don't quote myself.. but Lutz also said, from the same Article:

Lutz said he isn't sure why Saturn has not done better.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!!!!! Did he REALLY say this?

Hmmm...let's see BOB...Starving Saturn of product and FUNDING over the years, giving the consumer FAILED products (Anyone remember the RELAY? Too little too late)....

Maybe if you had actually done some RESEARCH to find out what PEOPLE WANTED in a timely fashion...maybe Saturn would have done better....instead of joining every other company and outsourcing your materials (Astra and VUE Production come to mind)....

This comment to me proves that Lutz is really just Senile in his old age....

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
BUBBLEMAN
BUBBLEMAN is on a distinguished road

Getting rid of the Ion was a big mistake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BUBBLEMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BUBBLEMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BUBBLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

It's quite obvious that division is too advanced a concept for anyone at GM.

For 2008
Saturn: 400 retailers, 5 models = 188,004 sales = 470 sales/retailer

Chevy: 4000 dealers, 15 models = 1,801,131 sales = 450 sales/dealer

GMC: 2200 dealers, 6 models = 376,996 sales = 171 sales/dealer

Cadillac: 1400 dealers, 6 models = 161,159 sales = 115 sales/dealer

Pontiac: 2700 dealers, 6 models = 267,348 sales = 99 sales/dealer

Buick: 2700 dealers, 3 models = 137,197 sales = 51 sales/dealer

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBLEMAN View Post
Getting rid of the Ion was a big mistake.
Agreed.

As I stated before, if they had just put a regular dash in it.

It is a fine car.

No, I don't wish to get into the 'dash' debate again. Just my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post

For 2008

Glad someone posted these numbers. Maybe a little product advertising would increase the overall units sold by Saturn.? And they still outsold in total units Caddy AND Buick, the supposed mainstays for GM. Get a clue guys!

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
mmj12345
mmj12345 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
"We spent a huge bundle of money in giving Saturn an absolutely no-excuses product lineup, top to bottom. They had a better and fresher lineup than any GM division"
....and then they didn't advertise it.

I love Saturn and my Aura but it is unbelievably frustrating watching them whither away with a great lineup because nobody friggen knows about their cars. I admit it would have taken some time and effort to change Saturn's perception as cheap plastic econo-boxes but they never even gave them a chance.

Purchased my first car on 8-20-08:
2008 Techno Gray Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmj12345's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmj12345 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmj12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
JaySki
JaySki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoBlues View Post
Glad someone posted these numbers. Maybe a little product advertising would increase the overall units sold by Saturn.? And they still outsold in total units Caddy AND Buick, the supposed mainstays for GM. Get a clue guys!
I agree.. MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING!
They never gave it a chance to sell..

Even when at Aura make NA Car of the Year.. Never saw any real advertising... How can they expect it to sell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JaySki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JaySki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JaySki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

F-ck GM.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
linuxdude
linuxdude is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default The MBA mindset: "product", not cars

A pet peeve of mine is that the executives of American companies tend to view what the company creates as "product". They don't think in terms of cars, drill bits, notebook PCs, or wooden furniture. It's all just "product", as taught at business schools.

I think this matters because without passion for cars or whatever a company makes, it's hard to be great. I recall reading a study of companies in Southern California and the firms run by engineers who had risen through the ranks were much better off than firms run by finance-trained MBAs. I suspect that phenomenon is not unique to Southern Cal.

I hope that someday this country returns to the sort of business leadership that we see more often in German companies now. Hands-on scientists and engineers, not financial men who are most concerned about maximizing their payout from stock options. As the "product" withers on the vine underneath them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linuxdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linuxdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linuxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

GM is to big for the US market offering to many brands. The economy simply came along and exposed what many of us already knew.

Smaller will be better now so GM can be around later to maybe bring back Saturn like they are bringing back the Camaro. Well probable not........

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
traumadog
traumadog is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Makes me wonder what will happen with the "reorganization"... will Saturn simply be folded into Chevrolet (or Buick-Pontiac-GMC)? Or will they take a billion or so of bailout money and pay off the dealers to go away?

I was hoping to see what the next Aura would be, but maybe now it'll be a Pontiac.

2004 GTO -> VY/VZ Monaro conversion (QS/Black M6 Build: Oct 2003 / 1 of 889 ...)
2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT (the wife's)
1994 Saturn SC2, Red/Tan/Auto
1981 Cadillac Eldorado Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to traumadog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help traumadog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
traumadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
satrnmo
satrnmo is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2009 AURA XR

I find it near hilarious that GM (after years of starving Saturn for product) throws a few rebadged GM twins in the Saturn line-up, launched all four vehicles on a fraction of the budget they used on the Malibu alone, and then claim they dumped all this new product, that barely arrived before the downturn, and want to make it the networks fault for not selling enough.

Has anyone noticed that compared to Saturn's little line of cars, Kia and Hyundai have been given products and look what happened?

Saturn was the answer to GM's woe's with imports, imagine if they had stuck with that mantra rather than starve the brand into failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satrnmo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satrnmo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satrnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
bkskatersd
bkskatersd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoBlues View Post
Do you expect any better when the ones who f*&ked up the company are the sameones who are going to save it?

GM might as well file for chapter 11.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bkskatersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bkskatersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bkskatersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
redblazerx
redblazerx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySki View Post
I agree.. MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING!
They never gave it a chance to sell..

Even when at Aura make NA Car of the Year.. Never saw any real advertising... How can they expect it to sell.
There is never enough advertising!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redblazerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redblazerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redblazerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #18
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post

For 2008

This sales/dealer number doesn't mean much if your product isn't as profitable. Because production volume ties in with part of the equation for net profit, 450 sales at $1 profit per sale is better than 470 sales at $0.50 profit per sale.

But really, these sales/dealer number is more for dealership's motivation. From GM, its all about volume. 1.8 mil product sales vs 188k product sales. Saturn sales volume is a measly 10% of that of Chevy's sales volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoBlues
The more uplevel you go, in Cadillac and Buick case, generally the higher profit margins you have. They're low volume, high profit margin brands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
satrnmo
satrnmo is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseto View Post
This sales/dealer number doesn't mean much if your product isn't as profitable. Because production volume ties in with part of the equation for net profit, 450 sales at $1 profit per sale is better than 470 sales at $0.50 profit per sale.

But really, these sales/dealer number is more for dealership's motivation. From GM, its all about volume. 1.8 mil product sales vs 188k product sales. Saturn sales volume is a measly 10% of that of Chevy's sales volume.

The more uplevel you go, in Cadillac and Buick case, generally the higher profit margins you have. They're low volume, high profit margin brands.

Couldn't agree with your explanation more, and to my point, my concerns stem from product starvation. GM looked to upscale the product line to gain a better margin position, but lacked launch money and timely infusion of product. Today's predicament is caused by not introducing products long before this financial crisis, and when you finally do, you launch on a minimal budget, why? So you can say you tried? Based on every introduced platform being a GM sybling, sort of supports a conspiracy theory that this outcome was inevitable. Do not give Saturn a unique product to make it easier to absorb and dismantle, consume assets like their real estate in Spring Hill, and voila, the old regime kills the Saturn project they always detested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satrnmo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satrnmo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satrnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Saturn has been dead for years. It was doomed when the S-series wasn't revised and was GMised into the ION instead.

The L-series was a less than smart move, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The ION was a soft, weird, yet somehow unexciting, bleh-mobile when compared to the S-series. While the Redline tried to make up for it it was too big and floppy to take care of buisness. I don't mean to discourage ION owners who love their cars. But I'm sure you can see that a lot of stuff was tried all at once and some things just didn't play out for the best. Dispite what is probably the best 4 cylinder powerpant in the world, The ION just wasn't the car to base a company on.

The ION lost Saturn customers. It wasn't a bad car, but it was bigger, weirder and less Saturn-like. Many of my family members bought S-cars; Over the years there were (8 in my immediate family. We even had 3 L-series. But not one ION. I test drove the ION when it first came out and didn't like it. It was big and GMish with weird ergonomics.

GM took Saturns best selling model and replaced it with a car that just didn't fit in. It didn't sell to the the S-series buyer and left them dry. When replacingthe S-series, GM saw Saturns "different" as weird and made a weird car.

Then when the ION flopped GM decided that was proof that Saturn was dying and they needed to head anouther direction. Rather than returning to Saturn roots (Good Value, Different thinking) they decided that the brand should move upscale. This, along with getting rid of the "Saturn Homecoming", moving production out of Springhill, getting rid of 0 haggle, etc..., all further seperating the brand from its fanbase.

GM "tried" to save Saturn by rebadging some very high quality products from Europe. But their timing was horrid. The dollar lost value and they nearly broke even on the imported Saturns. They were a good value for the buyer though. Just a poor situation for GM.

Saturn will die because of GM mismanagement. GM management has been killing the brand since 2002 and the latest economic situation just closes the deal. It is sad because Saturn could have continued to make good competitive cars. But remember GM of the past 10 years or so has really been about selling car loans, not good cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote