SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Washington Post: GM Should Rethink Saturn, Consider Big Change

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Washington Post: GM Should Rethink Saturn, Consider Big Change

Quote:
Warren Brown from the Washington Post: I am a great admirer of Jill Lajdziak, general manager of GM's Saturn Division. She has fought the good fight, greatly improved Saturn's manufacturing efficiencies and product quality, and expanded the division's product offerings. Ironically, Lajdziak's success is why Saturn must now be folded into Chevrolet.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
BUBBLEMAN
BUBBLEMAN is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Washington Post: GM Should Rethink Saturn, Consider Big Change

You can't just fold the Saturn retail experience into a chevy store. Won't work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BUBBLEMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BUBBLEMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BUBBLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Thumbs Down Re: Washington Post: GM Should Rethink Saturn, Consider Big Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBLEMAN View Post
You can't just fold the Saturn retail experience into a chevy store. Won't work.
Agreed. The Saturn buying experience would be a shock if it happened in a Chevy store...

I just don't see this happening either. What....is Chevy going to start taking pictures of "New Chevy Owners", and giving them Jelly Donuts? Picnics? Barbeques? Chevrolet Day at an amusment park? A Chevy Homecoming?

Uh...Yeah....not going to work or happen.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Agreed. The Saturn buying experience would be a shock if it happened in a Chevy store...

I just don't see this happening either. What....is Chevy going to start taking pictures of "New Chevy Owners", and giving them Jelly Donuts? Picnics? Barbeques? Chevrolet Day at an amusment park? A Chevy Homecoming?

See Scion. That's exactly what Saturn can and should become... sans the ugly cars. If Toyota's piss-poor CSI scores can pull it off, I think Chevy's can too. Hell, they could hire the same sales consultants, as there's guaranteed to be a Chevy store near each Saturn retailer.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
See Scion. That's exactly what Saturn can and should become... sans the ugly cars. If Toyota's piss-poor CSI scores can pull it off, I think Chevy's can too. Hell, they could hire the same sales consultants, as there's guaranteed to be a Chevy store near each Saturn retailer.
I wish they could do this.

But GM has all those nasty franchise agreements and lot's of people have much money tied up in those retail stores. How are they supposed to be compensated for their up front money building those Saturn buildings/dealerships?

There is a college/university degree out there called 'Marketing'. Some in GM just never got the concept right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Wudman
Wudman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why not "Saturnize" Chevy? If anything, it will lower dealership labor costs because the Saturn pay plan is quite "thrifty". I believe that Saturn is done, but there is no reason to lose the energy that Saturn put into the marketplace when it comes to treating people right. If Saturn was to go away and the Saturn process to evaporate, consumers lose. On the other hand, let Chevy absorb the "process" at least for the entry level cars and GM could use that to build a new relationship with customers. Dealers would save costs, increase their CSI scores and customers would be happier.

Rocking S. Illinois on WDLJ 97.5 FM www.RadioFreeMojo.Com
Custom Web Design & SEO www.JohnLWood.Com
& Purveyor of Fine Saturn Cars @ Metro East Saturn, Fairview Heights, IL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wudman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wudman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
When I bought my Suburban (labor day 2003), the experience was just like when I bought the Saturns that I actually bought at a Saturn dealer.

Not saying all Chevy dealers are like that, but this one was. I was in and out in less than 45 minutes. Plus they gave me a bunch of free stuff.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post

I haven't seen any of the new owners pictures or free jelly donuts things since the late 90s at a Saturn dealer. Those days are long gone.

To say Jill has done a lot for the brand. HAHA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
I haven't seen any of the new owners pictures or free jelly donuts things since the late 90s at a Saturn dealer. Those days are long gone.

To say Jill has done a lot for the brand. HAHA!
Jill doesn't have any power. She never did. That must be pretty frustrating for her to be given the reigns and then realize that she's utterly powerless to stop the journey into the side of a mountain.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
When I bought my Suburban (labor day 2003), the experience was just like when I bought the Saturns that I actually bought at a Saturn dealer.

Not saying all Chevy dealers are like that, but this one was. I was in and out in less than 45 minutes. Plus they gave me a bunch of free stuff.
I had a similar experience when I bought my Acura, and when my daughter bought her Genesis.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote