SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:31 AM   #1
pk2002
pk2002 is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone have problem shifting gear for the VUE?

I have a 2002 manual VUE. Once in awhile I have problem shifting in the first gear...the car is in complete stop...and in some situations almost in a complete stop, but when I try to shift in the first gear, it put up quite a resistance. The clutch is all the way down. I had to pump the clutch a few times to get in the first gear (I didn't want to force it). The problem would go away most of the time....but when I least expect it, it occurs again!

Anybody have any suggestion?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pk2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pk2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2002, 09:50 AM   #2
DMK's Vue
DMK's Vue is on a distinguished road

Dizzy You too?

Yes, I have had the same problem. Taking it into the shop in a week or less, so I thought I would bring it up then.

Post if you find out anything and I will too.

Normal is not an answer or a solution.

DMK's Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DMK's Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DMK's Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2002, 11:52 AM   #3
jmatero
Advanced Member
jmatero is on a distinguished road

this is not all that uncommon for many cars. When you're coming to a stop, or when you're stopped, before moving the car into first, pull it down to second, then up to first. Does it go in now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmatero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmatero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:39 PM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

As you are slowing down, with the clutch in, push it towards 1 and apply constant, steady pressure.. it will pop right in right before you stop. Mines stiff and tried to be a pain in the butt in the morning.. I just fire it up, and while I am waiting for the RPMs to drop to normal idle speed, I run it through all of the gears 2 or 3 times-- it really helps get it loosened up.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2002, 02:56 PM   #5
skijay
skijay is on a distinguished road

Just curious, is the VUE's 5-speed "lubed for life", in other words does the fluid need to be changed. My L100 is "lubed for life".

BTW, My L100 5 speed does the same as the VUE, in fact my Jetta did the same. Perhaps it is a "European" trait??????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skijay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skijay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2002, 08:14 PM   #6
Vuesier
Vuesier is on a distinguished road

What jmatero said is the trick. My Vue does the same thing and every manual I have ever had exhibited this behavior to some extent. Probably has something to do with the sychros. Probably not wise to force the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vuesier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vuesier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:53 PM   #7
NueSaturnVue
NueSaturnVue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Mine might do that, i just never noticed it. I've been taught if the thing wont go into 1st, let the clutch pedal up a little and it will slip in....ifi t works for a 1980 Crown Schoolbus might work for a new saturn...hehe....

Buslady of SoCal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NueSaturnVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NueSaturnVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2002, 03:55 AM   #8
SeeVue
SeeVue is on a distinguished road

My Vue also struggled getting into first from day one. After several trips to my Saturn dealer, they finally decided that the shifter cable needed replacing and the 'adjuster lock tab' was broken. This seemed to do the trick. I really liked how they wrapped up their comments with 'trans is now shifting as designed @ this time.'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SeeVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SeeVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2002, 11:28 AM   #9
pk2002

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeVue
My Vue also struggled getting into first from day one. After several trips to my Saturn dealer, they finally decided that the shifter cable needed replacing and the 'adjuster lock tab' was broken. This seemed to do the trick. I really liked how they wrapped up their comments with 'trans is now shifting as designed @ this time.'
SeeVue,

Did you have trouble shifting into first, some of the times, once in awhile, most of the times, or all of the times?

The bottom line: if it occurs only once in awhile, the chances are, they'll tell me that's normal but won't do anything about it!

What were the dealer's responses for the previous times you took your VUE for service?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pk2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2002, 12:24 PM   #10
SeeVue
SeeVue is on a distinguished road

pk2002 -

My shifting problems were intermittant - I'd say probably 25% of the time and it didn't seem to matter whether it was hot or cold. It was something I probably could have lived with but since the VUE was new I decided to point it out to the dealer at my 3K service.

The dealer test drove my VUE and acknowledged the problem on that visit and tried to adjust the shift cables. This didn't seem to have any affect. The second visit (for that problem) had them thinking it was something internal and that it would require a breakdown of the tranny. I couldn't leave the VUE so I scheduled another appointment to address the problem. The third trip was the charm as they performed the fix I mentioned earlier.

The exact tech comments were as follows:

"CUSTOMER REPORTED TROUBLE SHIFTING INTO 1ST GEAR. ROAD TEST TO VERIFY CONCERN, TRANS. INTERMITTENTLY HARD TO SHIFT IN 1ST GEAR. R&R SHIFT BOOT AND BEZEL TO INSPECT SHIFTER, ADJ. SHIFTER CABLES. JIMMY ADJUSTOR LOCK TAB TO REMOVE, WAS BROKEN. RE-ROAD TEST. TRANS IS NOW SHIFTING AS DESIGNED @ THIS TIME."

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SeeVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SeeVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2002, 01:46 PM   #11
pk2002

Thanks, SeeVue! That's a great help! I'll bring it up at my next 9K maintenance service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2002, 12:50 PM   #12
davuel
davuel is on a distinguished road

My 2003 VUE with 2300 miles does the exact same. If I'm at a stop in neutral, they try to to to 1st gear, it is difficult, however if I'm moving to a stop and working my way down in the gears to 1st, it shifts right into gear. So, I've discovered if I'm at a stop and already in neural, I first go to 2nd gear, then it slips right into 1st gear. I've already got a long list of issues with the VUE that the dealer is working on, I'm holding back on this one for the moment.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davuel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davuel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2002, 01:01 PM   #13
angeltrash1
angeltrash1 is on a distinguished road

Devil shifting

i have the manual shift and have not had any problems with it at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angeltrash1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angeltrash1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2002, 10:22 PM   #14
jmatero
Advanced Member
jmatero is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

My VUE... that I JUST picked up this morning will NOT shift into 1st gear.... 9 times out of 10 it just won't go into first. I tried pumping the clutch, moving the gear into other positions first...but nothing. The light turns green and I'm stuck dead in my tracks. I read somewhere about a twisty/tie attached to the cable where it goes into the transmission that is supposed to be removed during assembly.... anyone else with this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmatero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmatero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread