SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Rachey88
Rachey88 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Cylinder #2 misfire & check engine light blinking.

I have a 1997 Saturn SL1. It has about 154000 miles. I replaced the spark plugs two days ago because it was misfiring. Now when I drive it it doesn't want to go. I will be stopped at a stop sign or light and it will idle very low and then I will go and it will not pickup and go. Like it gets stuck in gear. If I put in park and rev it and then shift into gear it will go sometimes. I put the Lucas stop leak tranny fluid in it yesterday but it has not helped. I don't know what to do and I have to drive it 100 miles tomorrow. Will it make it?

I was wondering if my #2 wire is bad because I did notice something unusal about one of the wires when I replaced the plugs... should I replace the wires and see if that fixes the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rachey88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rachey88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rachey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Re: Cylinder #2 misfire & check engine light blinking.

replacing the wires wouldn't hurt as it would eliminate the possiblility of misfires from 1 wire to the next. what was wierd about #2s wire?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsl293's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsl293 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

YES!? Replace the wire set! Do not drive the car if the SES light blinks as this is indicating damage to the catalytic converter will result in a very short time. Some have damaged theirs in as little as 10-miles. A flashing SES indicator is the system attempting to alert you that driving will damage the converter unless the problem is looked into immediately.

Even noticing something unusual about the plug wires should be examined. It may be the cause of the misfiring, if this is causing the loss of power. I'm sure others will advise you against driving until you find the cause of the flashing SES light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Rachey88
Rachey88 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Well I replaced the wires and yes they were all in very bad shape... and now the car is driving great.. so far. We will see what happens when I get off work at 9 tonight.

The wierd thing that I noticed about the wire was the other day when I replaced the plugs I pulled off the #2 wire and the part that connects to the plug stayed on the plug and didn't come off with the plug. Lol... I know I should've replaced it then but I am a blonde and I am a little scared of cars and messing with them because this is my third car and I just have a fear of them... which I think explains why I am engaged to a mechanic... hahaha jk I love him.... but anyways back to the subject the wires were not pretty so now I have good wires and we'll see what happens... the plugs and the wires have lifetime warrenties on them now! yay!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rachey88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rachey88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rachey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Cylinder #2 misfire & check engine light blinking.

OK, OK, stop patting yourself on the back!?

Next time you play with the plug wires, twist them off, not just pull on them. They're as delicate as women.....................

You ain't just a woman anymore since you know a thing or two now, about car maintenance. Great repair!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
crude
crude is on a distinguished road

I did all this and still having an issue, I even rechecked the gap several times on the plugs, still getting a misfire on #2 cause poor shifting and SES light flashing and staying on, i went to 3 different part sores and the dealer and they all pulled misfire on # 2, I tried that lil thing called a "plug fouler protector" but that made it run worse, I got a brand new plug and wire on #2 and its still sluggage, its very hard to explain but it starts fine, runs fine overall, but when i get up to 40 miles an hour it starts messing up, then when i come to a stop it will misfire for a few seconds then it runs smooth...very wierd, I have a sw1, its a 1997 105K miles on it, all the plugs have been replaced 3 months ago. Plus my heater doesnt blow hot air on high i have to run heater at low to get heat to come out, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but if i could make it till spring i can ride my motorcycle untill i have money to fix this, i am just worried if i go far with car i might get stuck some where, so far it hasnt stalled anywhere, just the misfire, the plug that i had in there i took out was black completely, all the others are perfect ...should i replace all the other wires too? I dont think its the wires, i have a feeling its something major. just a gut feeling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

what plugs are being used and what are the plugs gapped to? might be time for a compression test.

where does the needle on the temperature gauge usually sit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
crude

all the plugs replaced in Fall were bought directly from the old saturn dealer near me, NKG i think they are all set to .040 temp gage after warmed up completely is about 1/4 or better but below 1/2 way point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help crude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
magtec
Advanced Member

1995 SW2

thermostat's stuck open, replace it. has the ECTS been replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
crude

i put brand new thermostat in 3 weeks ago, still no heat, as for ECTS, no didnt replace that yet, dealer said bring it back in on monday , they said they will look at it again no charge. is the ECTS hard to replace?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

ECTS is very easy to replace. Only takes a couple of minutes. It is made of brass so don't get carried away putting it in as it is easy to break off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Replace the coolant sensor if its the round nosed plastic one
(picture) with the flat nosed brass one. This fixes the rich/flooding issue.

2-If never done, either flush the entire cooling system and the heater core separately or just the heater core. With no heat the heater core is most likely to be clogged and disconnecting the heater hoses to force garden hose water pressure will flush out anything plugging the hoses or heater core. Then force water through the other hose to reverse flush the heater core. One way or the other will force out whatever clogged the heater core. If you see crud coming out from flushing then you'll most likely have great heat. And be sure to use at least a 50/50 antifreeze mix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracked ects.jpg (39.2 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
magtec
Advanced Member

1995 SW2

with the engine up to operating temperature how do the hoses to and from the heater core feel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
crude

they feel warm but not totaly hot, and they dont seem to have alot of pressure, how ever its cold here so not sure on that. right now though my main issue is the misfire in #2 so i need to get that fixed first, the heat work on low but i cant have heat if car stops running from the misfire, i should also tell you I bought this Car Brand New in 1997 so i am the only owner, but its been good to me very well, and it seems to run good, I passed the emissions test here in december.

Last edited by crude; 02-05-2012 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: add on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
crude

apparently the dealer claims it is a bad fuel injector on #2, so i had them replace it, i havent got car back yet so I cant rule out if that was the misfire problem or not. i been driving a loner car now for 2 days. My budget is nearly next to no money so i only had them replace the one injector, I read on here that if you replace one you should do them all but it was a difference between an extra $250 which i do not have right now. Hopefully this fixed the problem, i will know more later today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!