SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Ice Racer
Ice Racer is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Why is my transmission fluid black?

I changed the fluid in my 2001 sl 5 speed manual at 125,000 miles. I noticed that the fluid was awfully dark but thought it was because the fluid probably had never been changed. When I checked the fluid level at 140,000 miles, I noticed dark fluid on the dip stick. I drained it again, and sure enough, the fluid had changed in color to look almost like used motor oil.

Does anyone have an idea what is causing my fluid to turn from red to black?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ice Racer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ice Racer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ice Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
fishmed
fishmed is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Why is my transmission fluid black?

okay i could be wrong here but i dont believe you are using the right stuff in your trans you say you have an manual... but i believe you dont use the red stuff in a manual trans... i could be wrong but i am not sure... i would ask at your local auto parts store

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fishmed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fishmed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fishmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

I thought both auto and manual Saturn transmissions use Dex III Auto Tranny Fluid...

2001 SW2: 60k Miles @ 8/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tehSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tehSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmed View Post
.. i would ask at your local auto parts store
Oh, yeah, the same folks who try to sell you a crankshaft position sensor when you throw a P0341 code for the (we all know non-existent) CAMshaft position sensor. The same guys who will sell you platinum, iridium, kryptonite, plutonium, etc. spark plugs.

Um, NO! They might know what scent of pimp oil is apropos for impressing neighborhood girls, but even that says maybe.

As stated in EVERY owner's manual placed in EVERY glove box of EVERY S-Series car that rolled out of Spring Hill, the 5-speed transmission takes ATF. 'Course, as long as disinformation persists (as it evidently does) that it takes gear oil, as if it were a 1908 Apperson-Jackrabbit, there's the chance that some MENSA non-candidate indeed put gear dope in it. Iceracer, did you buy the car new?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

Our transmissions take ATF. End of story. There is a clutch material in there that the gear lube likes to eat. Nom Nom Nom. 80w-90 gear dope, bad ideal in our Transmissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Ice Racer
Ice Racer is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

I used ATF Dexron III when I replaced it the first time at 125,000. I donít believe anyone had changed it to gear lube prior to this because the dip stick had so much dirt on it and the fluid smelled like ATF but was really dark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ice Racer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ice Racer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ice Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

If you have a Manual trans, as Madpogue stated; it takes ATF.

Most likely is that the previous owner had put Gear Oil in the box. Not unheard of...

When I bought my 94 SL2 back in Sept/Oct. 2007; it is a 5 speed. When I changed the manual trans fluid out, it was like really heavy dark chocolate milk looking. I drained it all out and put the regular reccomended ATF fluid in there.

You only need to use 2.6 quarts of fluid in a Manual Trans.

The Auto Trans takes, iirc; 6-7 quarts of ATF.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
If you have a Manual trans, as Madpogue stated; it takes ATF.The Auto Trans takes, iirc; 6-7 quarts of ATF.
5.2 if you don't drain the torque converter. (Which I have NO idea how to do)

2001 SW2: 60k Miles @ 8/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tehSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tehSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote