SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Smee
Smee is on a distinguished road

Default Interior water leaks

Have any members experienced water leaks while parked? Have an 08 Outlook XR and am taking the car in tomorrow (for the fourth time) to have it "repaired"? Had a problem on the driver side and they reconnected a hose. No further issues on that side but now the passenger side is leaking. First time in on that side the tech applied some caulking but no dice, leaked on the next rain. Second time in they increased the diameter of hose, said it was plugged, still leaked when it rained. Don't know what to expect tomorrow. Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions? Dealer is open to the issue and trying to fix it but ... Interior carpeting is saturated and I'm concerned about mold over time. TIA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Interior water leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
Have any members experienced water leaks while parked? Have an 08 Outlook XR and am taking the car in tomorrow (for the fourth time) to have it "repaired"? Had a problem on the driver side and they reconnected a hose. No further issues on that side but now the passenger side is leaking. First time in on that side the tech applied some caulking but no dice, leaked on the next rain. Second time in they increased the diameter of hose, said it was plugged, still leaked when it rained. Don't know what to expect tomorrow. Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions? Dealer is open to the issue and trying to fix it but ... Interior carpeting is saturated and I'm concerned about mold over time. TIA!
Are you talking about leaks from the sunroof? If you are, your dealer does not have any idea about what he is doing. There is a recall on the sunroof drain hoses with specific instructions on how they whould be repaired. Do a search on sunroof leaks and you will find ample posts about this, it is nothing new.

Are you talking about leaks from the roof rails? If so, some did not get sealed properly and silicone can be used here by the dealer (on the screws them selves).

Sounds like to me you need a new dealer. The carpeting and any other damage caused by the sunroof leaks can and should be replaced under waranty unless they are able to clean them sufficiently, as mine did.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Smee
Smee is on a distinguished road

khan - The dealer assigned a new tech to the task. The guy tells me the recall (campaign?) was initially completed using the wrong parts. Tubing in the overhead had separated (again!) and water was flowing between the headliner and the roof. The service rep tells me they completely redid the recall using a new kit. I live in the southwestern desert so rain is an infrequent occurrence. Guess I'm in standby mode. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on the carpeting. Hmmm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

There is insulation between the headliner the the roof sheet metal. I would definitely make sure they replace that as well (mold). Also, if they are anything like my former dealership, check and make sure they have put everything back the way it should be (bolts, clips etc.) Good luck.

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to morpheus2969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
rjbengel
rjbengel is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2008 Outlook XE

My wife and I had our '08 Outlook XE, with sunroof, in the dealership several times for the water leak issue. Apparently, the first couple of times, they performed only the technical bulletin corrections for the water leak, and it kept leaking. The last time I had it in, I practically scolded them into doing their own investigative work, instead of relying on the technical bulletins for advice on the repair. They finally dropped the headliner and ran a hose for a couple of hours on top of the vehicle and identified the problem. The service tech said he never would have searched for a leak in the area where it was leaking.

My brother-in-law works in Saturn central office, and said that they stress to the dealership service shops to do their own troubleshooting, but apparently they're not all heeding that advice. Best advice I can give is to stay on them until the problem is resolved, or invoke the lemon law (if your state has one) and get a different vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rjbengel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rjbengel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rjbengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

After hearing of all this leakage, doubly glad i don't have either sunroofs, nor rails on my roof

Good luck with it !!

doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

khansen is right, get a new technician.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Carlucci
Carlucci is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

We are going through this right now with our '08 Outlook.

We are just wrapping up our 2nd attempt of getting this fixed. Our leak seems to enter the cabin at the two rear roof lights. So far, they have been unable to positively identify where it originates from the outside.

This time they just said that they "cleared the drains", so I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it's fixed yet.

Should I just run water over the top of my car now, under controlled conditions, rather than wait until the next time getting caught in a rainstorm?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlucci's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlucci reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
rjbengel
rjbengel is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2008 Outlook XE

Sorry to say, still having issues with the leaking sunroof. Have had '08 XE in four times, and problem is still not resolved. Dealership is willing to help us as much as possible to get into a new one without the sunroof, but they can only offer so much for the 08. Trying to get Saturn customer assistance to chip in a rebate offer, or something, but they have been very resistant. I'd be real hesitant about buying one of these with the sunroof, as the design has changed very little since the vehicles inception.

-- Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rjbengel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rjbengel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rjbengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
tmckinn
tmckinn is on a distinguished road

Hi Smee - My roof leak was caused by a improperly sealed welding seam at the factory. The dealer had remove the headliner then it was a snap to find the problem.

See also my early thread on roof leaks:

search on: Roof Leak!! Roof Rack the culprit?
or thread # 1178443

This forum software doesn't let me add a URL because I have fewer than 15 posts! Guess I need to post more

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tmckinn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tmckinn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tmckinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
GESPINOLA
GESPINOLA is on a distinguished road

I just left my 2008 Outlook XR at the dealer. According to them the problem are the tubes that drain the water from the sunroof. These tubes run inside the front and rear columns (on the sides the windshield in the front and the side columns on the back of the car). These tubes are not long enough to drive the water until the bottom of the car so the water will leak into the inner fuse block, will damp the carpets on the passenger and driver sides and make much more damage than you can believe. As the insulator between the carpet and the floor is like a sponge, it will absorb the water and soaks all the connectors that run below the insulator (cables that run from the battery, to the seats motors and heater, etc, etc). Not to mention that it may damage the airbag triggers mechanisms located on the columns besides the windshield….Great!!!!. For now I have to replace the fuse block, the front tubes and clean the rear tubes….about $900.00…My plan is to never by a GM car ever….and I’ll make sure my family and friends never by a GM automobile. I paid $35K for this car and in the end GM knows these have lots of problems and are not fixing it….

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GESPINOLA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GESPINOLA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GESPINOLA is offline   Reply With Quote