SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 11:50 AM   #1
ym42
Advanced Member
ym42 is on a distinguished road

Default SuperTech 10W-30 Synthetic

The other day stopped by local Wal*Mart and saw this new SuperTech Synthetic. I bought 4 quarts to try and put it in my engine, together with SuperTech filter (2$). Oil was 2.5$/qt. Before I was using 10W-40 Dino by SuperTech. The sound and feeling of the engine has changed enough for me to notice it. The engine spins up faster and with less noise, also less noise on lower RPMs. I will use it for a while and see what kind of mileage I can get, I think it will be better than with 10/40. Also, in local auto zone I saw straight HD60 oil. What kind of cars use that stuff?

Has anybody put 20W-50 synthetic in their Saturns? What kind of experience was that? Thanks.

Also, if SuperTech is made by Warren Oil co why do not they have Synthetic on their website? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ym42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
cbvrf3
cbvrf3 is on a distinguished road

Why are you using 10-40 when 10-30 is specified? The fake synthetic is made by Quakerstate, actually not to bad an oil that contains moly. The supertech filters are good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cbvrf3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cbvrf3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 06:28 PM   #3
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Yea, actually 5W30 is called for, and 10w30 in warmer(?) climates. And I have used Super*Tech (formerly tech2000) 2 stroke oil in my Jetski for years now, and I have found that when cold, it smokes much more than YamaLube or any ither TCW-3 certified oil, but when warmed up it smokes less, doesn't have noxious fumes, and is cheaper too.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
ym42
Advanced Member

O, I have a 93 Saturn that uses a LOT of oil, so I was experimenting if different viscosities would help. What helped were those additives that you can buy for oil consumption and smoke. With them oil is much cleaner due to less blow by. Also, I know 5-30 is specified but I think that is for gas mileage reason mostly. And old engines with 150000 miles are not the same with new ones, I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ym42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 06:35 PM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

First off, yes you should be using a 5W-30 whether petrol or synthethic. There are only two synthetics, the blends that use petro oil as the carrier (like Quakerstate) and the pure synthetics (like Mobil 1). The pure synthetics do perform better as far as durability in stressful environments. Both perform better than pure petro oil as far as lubricity and high and low temperature performance. They do improve mileage and can improve performance.

There is no automotive engine application for a straight 60 oil. You are getting into hypoid gear oil specs at that weight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 07:11 PM   #6
ym42
Advanced Member

Actually I know one guy who uses an aeroplane oil in his car, though he mixes it up with 0-30 I think because it is a bit too thick I was just thinking if oils like 20-50 would help the engine to last longer as they all says perfomance formulated for turbocharged engines etc... I was just wondering if anybody was using them... Or 5-50 synthetic...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Old 11-03-2002, 07:18 PM   #7
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

I read in an earlier post that your car consumes oil at the rate of around 500 mi per quart.

I too would not be buying Mobil1 at it's price for that kind of consumption. And yes the 10w30 synthetic oil you mention IS manufactured by Warren Oil Corp.

Someone here had posted a link to Walmarts MSDS sheets, and yes the 10w30 and 5w30 are made by Warren.

I have used Walmart synthetic in an older car, and it performed well for the price. Synthetic does not necassarily mean it has to be true PAO (Mobil1 and the like), but it is a hydrocracked oil superior to most conventional oils.

And yes a higher viscosity oil will lower oil consumption in higher mileage engines. Due to the baffle design of the Saturn oil pan it's best to use either 5w-30 or 10w-30 as recommended. Heavier viscosities are not recommended, and may impede oil flow due to that design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92saturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92saturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 08:00 PM   #8
Mark G
Mark G is on a distinguished road

Regular Super Tech dino oil IS made by Warren Oil Co., but Super Tech Full Synthetic in NOT. The Full synthetic oil is manufactured by Quaker State. Check out this web site if you don't believe me. http://msds.walmartstores.com/
I have used Super Tech full synthetic oil on my 94' SL2 recently, and I switched to Valvoline Max Life oil. With 149,000 miles on the car, the oil consumption went up by about 2/3 when I statred using the synthetic oil. I guess it was able to pass by the rings easier than dino oil. On my next vehicle, I will start using full synthetic early.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 08:05 PM   #9
ym42
Advanced Member

Mark G - that link says that Super Tech Synthetic 5-30 is distributed by Warren Oils...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Old 11-03-2002, 08:28 PM   #10
R.J.Barnett
R.J.Barnett is on a distinguished road

ym42:

Yes it does. It also says the Super Tech full synthetic 10-30 is made by Quaker State. That's a little wierd isn't it?

Last edited by R.J.Barnett; 11-03-2002 at 08:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to R.J.Barnett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help R.J.Barnett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 08:31 PM   #11
ym42
Advanced Member

http://msds.walmartstores.com/msds/t...9/00020911.tif

??????????
Warren!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Old 11-03-2002, 08:54 PM   #12
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

Just in case nobody bothered to read it thoroughly....

The product labeled "SUPER TECH FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 10W30" is from Warren.

The following products are manufactured by QS:
"SUPER TECH FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 10W30 -- SPECIALTY OIL"
"SUPER TECH PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED SYNTHETIC BLEND SAE 10W30 MOTOR"

At every WalMart I've been to I haven't seen any of the "performance" or "specially" engineered synthetics shown above. Only the warren distributed brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92saturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92saturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #13
ym42
Advanced Member

Default Re: SuperTech 10W-30 Synthetic

I am reviving this really old thread! Just got 5qrt jug of SuperTech 10W-30 Full Synthetic for 11.88 from a local Wally. This time I made sure it is packaged by Warren Distribution, Inc., , ( nothing to do with Warren Oil company ). You can find the specs and picture here:
http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/fullsynthetic.pdf

More info on Bobistheoilguy here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...1;t=005939;p=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Old 03-29-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor
There is no automotive engine application for a straight 60 oil. You are getting into hypoid gear oil specs at that weight.

There is no AUTOMOTIVE engine application...but HD60 IS NOT necessairly hypoid oil. Harley Davidson spec'd 60w oil for years in their older engines. Remember HD's are AIR cooled and they need the THICK stuff to handle the heat load. The modern HD engines (Evolution & Twin Cam) run on 20w-50. The newer engines are still air cooled, but have MUCH more cooling capacity than the older style engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
WILMONT
WILMONT is on a distinguished road

I run Rotella T 15w/40 01 sl2 69,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WILMONT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WILMONT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread