SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Coolabie
Coolabie is on a distinguished road

Default Oxygen Sensor Replacement

On my 2004 4-Cyl, 5-speed Vue, I finally broke down and replaced the front oxygen sensor. My check engine light has been coming on and off for the last 10K miles, so I changed it at 121K miles. It was surprisingly easy to change. Start by removing the "triangular" aluminum shield behind the engine, held down by three half-inch bolts. This exposes the O2 sensor. Disconnect the electrical connector, while pulling up on the retaining tab that holds the connector together. Use an oxygen sensor socket to unscrew the sensor, which came out very easily. Replace with an OEM type sensor that has the correct electrical connection, (I used a Bosch), and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
This is, potentially, a ten-minute job. I am not a mechanic and it took me 20 minutes. I paid $11 for the O2 socket and I paid a ridiculously high $80 for the sensor. I believe the sensors for Japanese cars are half that price. My local Saturn dealer wanted $139.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Coolabie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Coolabie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Coolabie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
thermalfinder
thermalfinder will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Replacement

I think my 02 VUE has 2 ox sensors; before and after cat. I wonder whether I should replace both sensors if it has 2?

Could defective ox sensor(s) affect mileage?

- Jim S.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thermalfinder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thermalfinder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thermalfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalfinder View Post
I think my 02 VUE has 2 ox sensors; before and after cat. I wonder whether I should replace both sensors if it has 2?

Could defective ox sensor(s) affect mileage?

- Jim S.
The answer is YES. Plus if you don't change then when they go bad you could damage the catalytic convertor.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

actually the price isnt bad..i just got rid of my 91 prelude and those o2 sensors where anywhere from 65 dollars(cheap) will def fail..to over a 100 dollars..80 for a bosch is exactly what id expect to pay..cheers on doing urself..esp after 121k trying to do it when ur car has 232,000 oy vay!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

The '04's have 2 sensors correct? Our light is on, and I was told it is the rear O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

The front sensor is the most important one because it tells the computer to change the fuel mixture. It will affect fuel economy. The rear one just checks to see if the Cat is working. The direct fit ones are best since the voltages are low and any losses through a splice may change what the computer does. Bosch has a bit of a sketchy reputation for O2 sensors, I've had good luck with Denso sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
thermalfinder
thermalfinder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind999 View Post
The front sensor is the most important one because it tells the computer to change the fuel mixture. It will affect fuel economy.
That a good tip, thanks I think I'll replace the pre-cat ox sensor and try to have the other tested.

- J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thermalfinder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thermalfinder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thermalfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Marz04
Marz04 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

My 04 2.2L has a check engine light and its a code saying its running too rich. I'm guessing its time to change the front sensor. I'm searching around for a good price on one. Retail is like $130, the cheapest I can get one is like $75.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marz04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

like i said before those 02 sensors esp the ones with the wire harness already on so all u have to do is unsnip and snip, ur going to pay any where from 50-130 bucks..good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
killer50
killer50 is on a distinguished road

Replacing O2 sensors is a waste of money before 200,000 miles!

I know, your thinking I am full of it But really, you do not need to spend that money just yet.

Buy the $11.00 O2 socket. Pull the sensor/s out of the pipes and use a can of electrical cleaner (CRC pt# 05018)($5.29us) on each. it is the same thing as brake cleaner but it does not leave any residue to foul up the sensor.

I have been using this stuff for the past 10 years or so on both my wife's toyota and my vue. Every 50,000 miles or so, I pull the sensors and blast them with a can of the stuff. Let them dry, then reinstall. Works just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to killer50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help killer50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
killer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Marz04
Marz04 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

What if there has been a lot of fuel just dumping through the motor due to a misfire, would your plan still work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marz04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 AM   #12
killer50
killer50 is on a distinguished road

Yes, it will still work. it may take more than one can, but unless the sensor is physically damaged, a good cleaning is all it needs to make it work well again.

Alternatively, if you have a major amount of goo on the sensor, buy a can of SEAFOAM, pour some in a container and soak the sensor in it for about 5 minutes. then spray it very well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to killer50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help killer50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
killer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Hotboi
Hotboi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

Hey guys. I replaced the o2 sensor on the cat because for some odd reason the sensor connector was too close to the exaust and melted it. luckly it was not melted together where i could not disconnect it, but anyway. the o2 sensor was replaced but the other wire which connects im guessing somewhere from the engine block was a lil melted. i was able to reconnect but in case it fails on me can i get a replacment of that whole other wiring? the engine was o hot to see where that wire runs from. Anyone knows this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hotboi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hotboi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hotboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
bk63
Advanced Member
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolabie View Post
On my 2004 4-Cyl, 5-speed Vue, I finally broke down and replaced the front oxygen sensor. My check engine light has been coming on and off for the last 10K miles, so I changed it at 121K miles. It was surprisingly easy to change. Start by removing the "triangular" aluminum shield behind the engine, held down by three half-inch bolts. This exposes the O2 sensor. Disconnect the electrical connector, while pulling up on the retaining tab that holds the connector together. Use an oxygen sensor socket to unscrew the sensor, which came out very easily. Replace with an OEM type sensor that has the correct electrical connection, (I used a Bosch), and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
This is, potentially, a ten-minute job. I am not a mechanic and it took me 20 minutes. I paid $11 for the O2 socket and I paid a ridiculously high $80 for the sensor. I believe the sensors for Japanese cars are half that price. My local Saturn dealer wanted $139.
Consider yourself lucky that this took care of your light. I had a steady light and could not find a code reader on earth to read it and had to go to my local shop. 350 bucks later he replaced the O2 sensor and charged big time which was the purpose of a recent post of a cheap code reader I recently found that saved me from more big bucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bk63 is offline   Reply With Quote