SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default Paint codes and years?

Hi all,

My 97SL is grey and I found the exterior I.D. paint code in the trunk. I will be going to my favorite "pick & pull" for parts but the cars there seldom have the paint identification number in the trunk. I'm wondering if there is a reference website or location to search, to see if my grey color made it through to following years? The color of different years (so far to a 99) looks like my color but I can't be sure without the numbers. And once I'm out the door with the parts, they're mine. Would anyone know someplace I could search besides my local Saturn dealer? Thanks for any info.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2
Default Re: Paint codes and years?

There is a paint option code also. Its in th4 block of code number/letters. What is your paint code? With the option code it can be looked up. With the paint code I can get the option code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Production Option Codes, courtesy of Different Racing and the inestimable Silva Bros (Low Saturn and LowSL2).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
production option codes, courtesy of different racing and the inestimable silva bros (low saturn and lowsl2).

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There is a paint option code also. Its in th4 block of code number/letters. What is your paint code? With the option code it can be looked up. With the paint code I can get the option code.
Hi Rich,

This is the code I found in my trunk. Is that what you're talking about?
(WA-L266C) And there's another number but I don't know if it's related. Here it is--- U266C Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Production Option Codes, courtesy of Different Racing and the inestimable Silva Bros (Low Saturn and LowSL2).

Thanks, madpouge. Didn't see the paint code there though. But I saved that site in my Favorites.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Thanks, madpouge. Didn't see the paint code there though. But I saved that site in my Favorites.
Look for the three-character codes ending in L and U. If you're just trying to match colors with a salvage car, that's all you need. Except for two-tone cars, the digits preceeding the L and U are the same (e.g. my car is 98L 98U). (I *think* L and U stand for Lower and Upper.) The differentracing chart also shows ranges of model year for each code.

I believe the longer, WAxxx code is useful for body shops and suppliers to create a paint to match your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

266C was used on the S-Series from 96 to 99 and is called silver. The U and L are for upper and lower color. And the RPO code for the 266C is 11. The 266C is the actual formulation code and the RPO may not be quite as unique color wise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Look for the three-character codes ending in L and U. If you're just trying to match colors with a salvage car, that's all you need. Except for two-tone cars, the digits preceeding the L and U are the same (e.g. my car is 98L 98U). (I *think* L and U stand for Lower and Upper.) The differentracing chart also shows ranges of model year for each code.

I believe the longer, WAxxx code is useful for body shops and suppliers to create a paint to match your car.
Aaaaaaaa, okay, there it is! Mine is 11L and 11U and according to your chart, it's good for years 96 through 02. When I checked a 96 at the junk yard, that gray appeared to be a lighter colored gray than mine. Maybe it was just the light that day, don't know, unless they offered two shades of gray that year. Anyway, now I can "pick away" at my favorite pick and pull without worry. Thank you!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
266C was used on the S-Series from 96 to 99 and is called silver. The U and L are for upper and lower color. And the RPO code for the 266C is 11. The 266C is the actual formulation code and the RPO may not be quite as unique color wise.
Thanks, Rich. Now I'm all set to go "diggin" at the yards. Hope I can find my parts.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Keep in mind that color codes and color names may be the same, the shade can vary between model years. For instance, medium red for the 91/92 model year is noticeably darker than medium red for 93+.

I picked some silver door handles for a friends 2001 SC1 for a friend. I got them off a 2000 SL2. The colors codes were the same, but once installed they were a noticeably different shade of silver. I could tell, but my friend couldn't. But then again he's color blind.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Keep in mind that color codes and color names may be the same, the shade can vary between model years. For instance, medium red for the 91/92 model year is noticeably darker than medium red for 93+.

I picked some silver door handles for a friends 2001 SC1 for a friend. I got them off a 2000 SL2. The colors codes were the same, but once installed they were a noticeably different shade of silver. I could tell, but my friend couldn't. But then again he's color blind.
Okay. That explains why the gray on the 96 DID look lighter in shade than my 97. But the 99 I looked at was so close, I couldn't tell the difference. But I'll bet I would be able to tell the difference if I used a 99 door panel on my 97----if not through shade, then because of sun exposure, weathered, etc. Thank you for all the info!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
The colors codes were the same, but once installed they were a noticeably different shade of silver. I could tell, but my friend couldn't. But then again he's color blind.
He should still have spotted the difference. Color blind usually only means you can't tell distinct hues. For example, a medium red would look the same as a blue of the same "lightness" or shade. It's like turning a picture to grayscale. But color blind people can usually tell different lightnesses of the same color; in fact, that's often the only color distinction they see. Weird that a lighter and darker silver would look the same to him.

BTW, sorry 'bout the bum steer wrt. the color codes vs. the option codes. Begs the question (back to the OP's original request) - is there a chart like Low's that maps the actual color codes (WA....) to model year ranges, lurking out there on the Internet somewhere?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!