SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Ackpacket
Member
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 82
 
Default transmission FLUSH

I was thinking about chaning my transmission fluid and thought about how it only takes out some of the fluid, nowhere near the job a flush does.

I was thinking, maybe I can flush the fluid out by shifting through different gears, possibly with the front tires up in the air, and allowing old fluid to flow out of the line going into the oil cooler while letting(maybe forcing) new fluid in line coming out of the oil cooler. I wanted to run this by someone that knows a little more about the fluid routing in the transmission.

Is this a plausible poor man's flush?

as always, input appreciated

...
2002 sl2 DOHC 126k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
eRic 02sc2
Super Member
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about
 
eRic 02sc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Closed Course. Professional Driver.
Posts: 14,580
 
Wrench Re: transmission FLUSH

I'm guessing you have an automatic since you mention an oil cooler that's not on manuals...

fluid should be drained when it reaches normal operating temperature at 190-200*F (88-93*C). This temperature is reached after driving 15 miles (24 km) of highway driving.
place a suitable container, large enough to hold 5L (5.3 Qt.), under the drain plug and remove the drain plugs.
allow 5 minutes for the old fluid to drain completely and then reinstall the drain plug. tighten to 30 Nm (22 ft-lbs)
remove the air induction system and air box to gain access to the filter.
remove the filter using a strap-type filter wrench.
remove and wipe clean the filter magnet.
install the clean magnet on the new filter.
lube the seal of the new filter with Saturn transaxle fluid.
install the new filter.
install the air box and air induction system.
remove the dipstick and refill the transaxle using Saturn transaxle fluid.
check the transaxle fluid level.

...
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
The Critic
Advanced Member
The Critic is on a distinguished road
 
The Critic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: King Arnold's Domain
Posts: 607

1996 SL2
Default Re: transmission FLUSH

It's perfectly safe to do a flush.

Drain the transmission, install a new filter then refill (between 4.5 to 5.5 depending on how long you allowed it to drain for) with new fluid.

Prior to starting the engine, disconnect both of the cooler lines (I don't remember which is which). Extend the lines with some rubber tubing and direct them to a marked measuring container.

Have someone started the car and allow two quarts to come out. Shut it off, add two quarts, and repeat.

If you drain 4.5 quarts from the transmission, "flush" an additional 4 quarts through. 8-9 quarts should be sufficient to flush this transmission as it only holds around 7.5 quarts. If you drain the unit, change the filter and install new fluid prior to starting the flush like I said, it will speed up the flush process as there will be less fluid mixing.

...
'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Critic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Critic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Ackpacket
Member
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 82
 
Default Re: transmission FLUSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
I'm guessing you have an automatic since you mention an oil cooler that's not on manuals...

fluid should be drained when it reaches normal operating temperature at 190-200*F (88-93*C). This temperature is reached after driving 15 miles (24 km) of highway driving.
place a suitable container, large enough to hold 5L (5.3 Qt.), under the drain plug and remove the drain plugs.
allow 5 minutes for the old fluid to drain completely and then reinstall the drain plug. tighten to 30 Nm (22 ft-lbs)
remove the air induction system and air box to gain access to the filter.
remove the filter using a strap-type filter wrench.
remove and wipe clean the filter magnet.
install the clean magnet on the new filter.
lube the seal of the new filter with Saturn transaxle fluid.
install the new filter.
install the air box and air induction system.
remove the dipstick and refill the transaxle using Saturn transaxle fluid.
check the transaxle fluid level.

Yes that would be the conventional way remove fluid and refill and i've done that before. But the total fluid in the transmission and the torque converter is oh, maybe two quarts or so more than this method removes. That's why i'm not interested in just using the drain plug, I am trying to use the oil cooler to get out all of the bad fluid while simultaneously putting new fluid in it's place rather than dilluting good fluid with bad fluid.


Quote:
It's perfectly safe to do a flush.

Drain the transmission, install a new filter then refill (between 4.5 to 5.5 depending on how long you allowed it to drain for) with new fluid.

Prior to starting the engine, disconnect both of the cooler lines (I don't remember which is which). Extend the lines with some rubber tubing and direct them to a marked measuring container.

Have someone started the car and allow two quarts to come out. Shut it off, add two quarts, and repeat.

If you drain 4.5 quarts from the transmission, "flush" an additional 4 quarts through. 8-9 quarts should be sufficient to flush this transmission as it only holds around 7.5 quarts. If you drain the unit, change the filter and install new fluid prior to starting the flush like I said, it will speed up the flush process as there will be less fluid mixing.
I'm assuming you're talking about adding fluid through the dipstick? The reason i'm trying to stay away from this method is that I would still be dilluting clean fluid with dirty fluid.

Would there be any problem with me replacing fluid through the oil cooler return line as dirty fluid comes out of the line into the cooler? What part of the transmission does the fluid flow to when it comes back from the oil cooler? Hopefully not back into a pool of dirty fluid.

I'm not really looking to do a "drain and refill". An actual flush would involve clean fluid flowing in to take the place of dirty fluid as it flows out, with a definite line between the two.

Thanks for suggestions guys.

...
2002 sl2 DOHC 126k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
The Critic
Advanced Member
The Critic is on a distinguished road
 
The Critic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: King Arnold's Domain
Posts: 607

1996 SL2
Default Re: transmission FLUSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackpacket View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about adding fluid through the dipstick? The reason i'm trying to stay away from this method is that I would still be dilluting clean fluid with dirty fluid.

Would there be any problem with me replacing fluid through the oil cooler return line as dirty fluid comes out of the line into the cooler? What part of the transmission does the fluid flow to when it comes back from the oil cooler? Hopefully not back into a pool of dirty fluid.

I'm not really looking to do a "drain and refill". An actual flush would involve clean fluid flowing in to take the place of dirty fluid as it flows out, with a definite line between the two.

Thanks for suggestions guys.
That's basically what I said.

Drain the transmission, replace the filter and refill with new fluid. This way, the "pan" area (not that there is a pan on this transmission) only contains new fluid.

Only after you have that done, should you disconnect the cooler lines, and start the car to allow more fluid to be pumped out. Pump out two quarts, shut off the car, and replace the amount that came out through the dipstick tube. I would flush about 4-5 quarts through, as doing a the drain and filter change would remove 4.5-5.5. You only need to flush 8-9 quarts through (total) as this transmission holds less than 8 quarts.

You're going to get some mixing either way. But in the steps that I mentioned, when you add more fluid back to the transmission, you are adding it through the dipstick tube. Since you drained the transmission and refilled with new fluid prior to starting, any additional new fluid that you add will be added to new fluid.

Get what I mean?

...
'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Critic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Critic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission fluid flush jaguaero S-Series Tech 7 08-17-2009 03:08 PM
2003 ION 3 Transmission Flush thewretched Ion Tech 3 01-15-2008 02:54 PM
Transmission flush? 1999greenSL2 S-Series General 9 08-15-2007 06:52 PM
Bad transmission or just in need of a flush? Cortana S-Series Tech 7 02-09-2007 08:07 AM
L300 Transmission Flush 02L300 L-Series Tech 2 09-17-2005 07:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.