SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default GM Throws Lifeline to Flailing Saturn Brand, Admits It Didn't Spend Enough On Marketi

A new feeditems entry has been added:

[drupal=2887]GM Throws Lifeline to Flailing Saturn Brand, Admits It Didn't Spend Enough On Marketing New Models[/drupal]

Quote:
Jean Halliday from Advertising Age: General Motors is working behind the scenes to save Saturn. The automaker is working with dealers to keep Saturn in the GM orbit. It hopes to have an action plan ready within 30 days, said Fernando Somoza and Todd Ingersoll, two dealers on the brand's Franchise Operating Team. Neither dealer gave any details of options that are on the table, although Mr. Somoza said one proposal being studied "will have global implications."
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: GM Throws Lifeline to Flailing Saturn Brand, Admits It Didn't Spend Enough On Mar

Quote:
One consideration is finding a non-GM carmaker from abroad to distribute cars via Saturn's 400-plus dealers here, said an executive close to the matter.
Interesting food for thought...
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR
Default Re: GM Throws Lifeline to Flailing Saturn Brand, Admits It Didn't Spend Enough On Mar

So...

Allow Renault or Peugeot CitroŽn on the upper end... Chery, Geely, or Tata on the low end... to share retail space at Saturn locations that want to add another franchise???

That may confuse people even more... especially if GM markets a Corsa and the others market a small car as well. Heck, some people still don't even know Saturn is a GM company, even after all the recent news reports.
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by todaresqSL2 View Post
So...

Allow Renault or Peugeot CitroŽn on the upper end... Chery, Geely, or Tata on the low end... to share retail space at Saturn locations that want to add another franchise???

That may confuse people even more... especially if GM markets a Corsa and the others market a small car as well. Heck, some people still don't even know Saturn is a GM company, even after all the recent news reports.
Good lord, man. Have you ever been inside a Chery or Geely? I have. There is NO WAY those would sell in the US in their current form. They are downright dangerous. In the 3rd world, people wink at safety in order to have the LUXURY of a car. I don't think the US has sunk quite that far yet.

Cheers,
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Good lord, man. Have you ever been inside a Chery or Geely? I have. There is NO WAY those would sell in the US in their current form. They are downright dangerous. In the 3rd world, people wink at safety in order to have the LUXURY of a car. I don't think the US has sunk quite that far yet.

Cheers,
lol... exactly why I said the low end. Even if they create something that is road legal in the US... it will be lower than KIA was.
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

LOL they finally admit their mistake about the lack of marketing? This should be interesting.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Cheers,
Never underestimate the stoopiditty of the Amerikan public, ritz...
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Even Mr. LaNeve conceded that GM "didn't spend enough on marketing to introduce the new products."
Well, no ****, you incompetent douche. Look at Hyundai - the new Genesis is advertised everywhere and now even more after winning NACOTY. The AURA got zip at launch and stalled for months between the NACOTY award and the first advertisement about it. People won't buy a car or see how good it is, IF THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT!
Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Well, no ****, you incompetent douche. Look at Hyundai - the new Genesis is advertised everywhere and now even more after winning NACOTY. The AURA got zip at launch and stalled for months between the NACOTY award and the first advertisement about it. People won't buy a car or see how good it is, IF THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT!
Exactly. I think someone finally woke up and smelled the coffee at GM! Let's hope that now, maybe they will change coarse and start spending some advertising money. Time will tell though. I think Saturn will still be part of the picture, hopefully GM will see what was started and learn from the past errors to make Saturn a truly viable part of the overall scheme.
08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I literally stumbled onto the Saturn Aura while researching Opel summer of 2006. Went to a Saturn dealership 2 weeks after the Aura first hit the showroom floor BEFORE winning NACOTY. 2 Years later I bought one. Other than the Saturn website, I saw virtually no Saturn advertising that I can recall (and I'm a TV watcher!). Now that I've got an Aura, what does GM do? It pushes the Chevy Malibu - a well-established brand and model. It's beyond me as to why GM hasn't pushed the new Saturn lineup more aggressively through TV ads. This is my first new GM in 30 years and it's a SWEET ride. Loaded - for much less $$$ than a CamCord. I did my part in helping GM / Saturn. I'll buy another Saturn in a few years - if they're still around.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
I literally stumbled onto the Saturn Aura while researching Opel summer of 2006. Went to a Saturn dealership 2 weeks after the Aura first hit the showroom floor BEFORE winning NACOTY. 2 Years later I bought one. Other than the Saturn website, I saw virtually no Saturn advertising that I can recall (and I'm a TV watcher!). Now that I've got an Aura, what does GM do? It pushes the Chevy Malibu - a well-established brand and model. It's beyond me as to why GM hasn't pushed the new Saturn lineup more aggressively through TV ads. This is my first new GM in 30 years and it's a SWEET ride. Loaded - for much less $$$ than a CamCord. I did my part in helping GM / Saturn. I'll buy another Saturn in a few years - if they're still around.
Completely agree with you.
I never saw myself buying a saturn before, I feel the same way about the new products, I shall buy another saturn in the future if they offer a line-up like that.
I almost bought two , VUE, AURA but settle for the aura.
2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by todaresqSL2 View Post
So...

Knowing our luck, it probably will be cheap Chinese crap! On the other hand, it'd be awesome to see Citroen in this country again.
Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

It's not just lack of advertising, it's poor quality and ineffective marketing. They need to create some buzz, showcase unique features, and find an identity in the marketplace.

Showing a car driving around with some music and a 5 second shot of an "attractive offer" in a TV spot just doesn't do it anymore. They need to get these cars out into the public where people can see the quality. They need to find viral ways to drive people to their web site. It's time for someone to get creative. Find ways to reach your target audience.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

GM had the chance to hit people between the eyes during the Super Bowl back when the Aura won 2007 NACOTY just like Hyundai did last Sunday.....but of course they didn't....because they are idiots. Anybody see Hyundai sales released yesterday...take a look, you'll fall off your chair. Their employment insurance campaign is sending sales skyward and their campaign on Sunday has only added to their visibility. As a huge Saturn supporter I just cry.
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy7 View Post
Their employment insurance campaign is sending sales skyward and their campaign on Sunday has only added to their visibility.
Hyundai would just love for that to be the case. In the real world, someone unsure about their job security isn't buying a new car in the first place. This was either a severe fleet dump (probable and not uncommon for them) or Jan. '08 was horrendous.
Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
In the real world, someone unsure about their job security isn't buying a new car in the first place.

Hello? is this mic on? Ding Ding Ding!!!
K-1 wins the golden prize!!!! You are one of the few who seems to understand what is happening.

Bad economy = no sales. No Sales = no profit. No profit = bad economy. Add no marketing into the mix and whaddya got? nothin' ! and lots of it.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: GM Throws Lifeline to Flailing Saturn Brand, Admits It Didn't Spend Enough On Mar

Mr. LaNeve conceded that GM "didn't spend enough on marketing to introduce the new products."

Isn't this the second time GM admitted this? Did these chuckleheads expect different results the second time around? Will they ever freakin' learn?

thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post
Mr. LaNeve conceded that GM "didn't spend enough on marketing to introduce the new products."

Isn't this the second time GM admitted this? Did these chuckleheads expect different results the second time around? Will they ever freakin' learn?

Ever hear the saying "you can't teach an Old Dog new tricks?" I'll say no more.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
Old 02-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

By chance, I discovered the Astra on an automotive forum on a college website. The discussion thread ironically involved the state of the US car industry in general, and GM in particular.
"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

Last edited by m100; 02-04-2009 at 02:45 PM.
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Ever hear the saying "you can't teach an Old Dog new tricks?" I'll say no more.
Ya can't even teach 'em old tricks. Henry Ford said:

ďA man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time.Ē
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote