SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
peter strawn
peter strawn is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Roll Eyes cylinder head gasket replacement

got a 2001 l200 sedan w/ 153,000 on it and they say the head gasket goes out at 150,000 so i got an xtra 3,000 out of it! Any way i have all the directions from All Data and was wondering if the finding of the cams center line ups and all can be done without the expensive computer tool i will never own? I can pretty much follw directions but i don't want to get into this project and need something impossible for me to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peter strawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peter strawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peter strawn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: cylinder head gasket replacement

Welcome to the Board.

Which engine? Always nice to know.

As far as the head gasket going at 150k----who is they? The head gasket will last as long as it lasts. It is designed to last for the life of the engine. If there are no problems with the head gasket then don't touch it.

As far as lining the cams up for disassemble or assemble is is all done mechanically/visually. There is no computer or scan tool used to line everything up.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
peter strawn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

sorry it's the 2.2 liter. it runs great and i was loosing water very slowly until last weekend it started to loose it faster. my wife drove it about ten miles home and it ran fine. I proceeded to look at the oil and viola there was my water. I read something that said the head gaskets only last 150,000 miles on the Saturn 2.2 liter motors. Any way i need to change the head gasket and printed out the all data stuff it looks like you said. manual settings, cool. I must have been tired of reading or something thanks for your input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help peter strawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

When you have the head off check to see if it was warped. These are strong reliable engines so for a gasket to it may be more a warped head.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Wolfc70
Wolfc70 will become famous soon enoughWolfc70 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter strawn View Post
sorry it's the 2.2 liter. it runs great and i was loosing water very slowly until last weekend it started to loose it faster. my wife drove it about ten miles home and it ran fine. I proceeded to look at the oil and viola there was my water. I read something that said the head gaskets only last 150,000 miles on the Saturn 2.2 liter motors. Any way i need to change the head gasket and printed out the all data stuff it looks like you said. manual settings, cool. I must have been tired of reading or something thanks for your input.
The ecotec engine has no known head gasket problems. However, the water pump seal can go causing coolant to get into the timing chain area, which is where it enters the oil. I would check this first.

"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wolfc70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wolfc70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wolfc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
born again
born again is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Being an all aluminum block/head combination, the L61 is unaffected by the usual differential thermal expansion that shreds head gaskets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
peter strawn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

wow nice to know that.
i already tore into it. but i'm taking lots of pics.
i did not see a spot where the head gasket failed leading me to believe i could have saved a lot of money replacing the water pump gasket.my number three cylinder has a slight .005-.008 scratch in it and i think i will let it go. my timing chain was upgraded at the Saturn dealership at 50,000 miles or so i wonder if i should change this? i got the head gasket kit at Napa autoparts for 161.00 and the head bolt kit for 89.00. i was looking in the All Data web sight and there is a way to check for the automatic fluid levels on these Saturns. But it's a.p.i.t.a. i don't know if i can post it though. let me know. thanks for all your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Wolfc70

Quote:
wow nice to know that.
i already tore into it. but i'm taking lots of pics.
i did not see a spot where the head gasket failed leading me to believe i could have saved a lot of money replacing the water pump gasket.my number three cylinder has a slight .005-.008 scratch in it and i think i will let it go. my timing chain was upgraded at the Saturn dealership at 50,000 miles or so i wonder if i should change this? i got the head gasket kit at Napa autoparts for 161.00 and the head bolt kit for 89.00. i was looking in the All Data web sight and there is a way to check for the automatic fluid levels on these Saturns. But it's a.p.i.t.a. i don't know if i can post it though. let me know. thanks for all your help.
Since you have the engine a part, replacing the timing chains again (and guides and tensioners) may not be a bad idea. The 2.2l engines are fairly durable. In the Ion section here, some salesman put almost 400K miles on his 2.2L. He never had a head gasket issue.

The engines in the L series cars are not known for head gaskets problems (thankfully). Coolant loss on the 2.2l is usually the water pump, on the V6 it is the oil cooler/cover plate and thermostat housing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Wolfc70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfc70 View Post
Since you have the engine a part, replacing the timing chains again (and guides and tensioners) may not be a bad idea. The 2.2l engines are fairly durable. In the Ion section here, some salesman put almost 400K miles on his 2.2L. He never had a head gasket issue.

The engines in the L series cars are not known for head gaskets problems (thankfully). Coolant loss on the 2.2l is usually the water pump, on the V6 it is the oil cooler/cover plate and thermostat housing.
Ad the water pump to the V6 cars.

OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
1998 Intrigue
1996 Caprice
1994 88
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Wolfc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-GMtech View Post
Ad the water pump to the V6 cars.
Uh oh! I take it the water pump won't make it to the 100k mark? At what mileage do they seem to fail? I thought it would last at least until the timing belt change. Something I may have to keep an eye on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Uh oh! I take it the water pump won't make it to the 100k mark? At what mileage do they seem to fail? I thought it would last at least until the timing belt change. Something I may have to keep an eye on.
This is my opinion. I have seen or heard of enough to put it down as a place to watch. Wife's car only had 74K(IIRC) when hers died. I have seen others that get to between 70k-90k when they poop out.

OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
1998 Intrigue
1996 Caprice
1994 88
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
peter strawn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

so far the head gasket does not appear to have failed i'm on to the front of the motor on Friday i have no garage and only a carport so it's cold out there.
I got 153,000 out of the waterpump gasket. I got the timing chain and guides changed at the factory at 50,000. do you think i should still change it? The wear on the guides is not really that bad. can i calibrate these guides for the wear? Also any ideas on how to clean out the motor from my milk shake look?
maybe drop the oil pan?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
peter strawn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
The ecotec engine has no known head gasket problems. However, the water pump seal can go causing coolant to get into the timing chain area, which is where it enters the oil. I would check this first.
how does one see that this has failed should i assume that since there is no failure spots on the head gasket that it is the water pump. everything's already apart now accept the water pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
autonoob42
autonoob42 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
You are so right about that, Quimosabe.
The water pump in my 2000 LS2 6Cyl 3.0 failed at about 75K.
It's been downhill ever since. (see later post by me).

AUTONOOB42

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to autonoob42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help autonoob42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
autonoob42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Wolfc70

Quote:
how does one see that this has failed should i assume that since there is no failure spots on the head gasket that it is the water pump. everything's already apart now accept the water pump.
It all depends on the gasket design. The newer MLS (multi layered steel) gaskets can be tough to find where it failed. Discoloration that leads away from a water jacket can be a slight clue. Some gaskets (like the paper/cellulose ones Alfa Romeo uses on their v6, which has wet liners) are easy to tell where they fail. I still have my doubts to the head gasket failing. If you have them, maybe post some pics of the gasket and related mating surfaces.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
peter strawn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench Re: cylinder head gasket replacement

ok just got the head pressure tested and it failed the head is cracked and no good. i need to replace this it was a very slow water leak failure into my oil but the worst is done now i know what failed. i wanted to let everyone know i appreciate all your help thank you. Oh and buy the way always fix the check engine light feature. i took pics of the dismantling if i figure out how to upload them here maybe i can. I'm doing the water pump, timing chain, and head on this motor hopefully i'll get another 153,000 out of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!