SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Happy Motor Trend ION First Drive!

The 12/02 issue of MT takes the ION3 with automatic for a spin. Overall, the review was favorable, but even the staffers had their nitpicks, which involved (of all things) the 55-series tires' unusual roughness on the road and the lack of boost from the EPS at highway speeds. They noted the reduction in NVH levels and estimated the sprint from 0-60 in 9.5 seconds. Is it improved over the S-Series? MT is convinced of it. But they cautiously added that the ION is still no Honda Civic.

I wonder if the other car magazines are putting the ION through its paces, and if so, what do they have to say?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2002, 02:04 PM   #2
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

I've been watching for the latest batch of car magazines to hit my mailbox over the past couple of days. So far, the only ones I have seen are MotorTrend and AutoWeek. I expect the others to arrive in the next few days with similar "first look" short reviews of the ION. I guess we'll have to wait a while longer to read instrumented testing and in depth reviews.

In the AutoWeek piece they made NO mention of the center Instument Panel, which makes me wonder if it was written from press releases. The reviewer in AutoWeek also said that "standard ABS is gone", which may be true for the 2003 L Series, but I don't think it was ever standard on the S cars. I understand the pressures of deadlines when you are publishing a news weekly, but AutoWeek usually does a better job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2002, 06:17 PM   #3
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by JimC93SW2
I've been watching for the latest batch of car magazines to hit my mailbox over the past couple of days. So far, the only ones I have seen are MotorTrend and AutoWeek. I expect the others to arrive in the next few days with similar "first look" short reviews of the ION. I guess we'll have to wait a while longer to read instrumented testing and in depth reviews.

In the AutoWeek piece they made NO mention of the center Instument Panel, which makes me wonder if it was written from press releases. The reviewer in AutoWeek also said that "standard ABS is gone", which may be true for the 2003 L Series, but I don't think it was ever standard on the S cars. I understand the pressures of deadlines when you are publishing a news weekly, but AutoWeek usually does a better job.
As a regular reader of AUTOWEEK, allow me to be blunt...they stink. They are often guilty of(in no particular order or importance) plagerizing the press release, offering more opinion than fact, displaying obvious bias, and get the numbers wrong just as much as they get them right.

Still, they tend to report information that many other sites lock out as "subscriber only", and they are very timely with the 'scandals' and new information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 11-03-2002, 01:43 PM   #4
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Motor Trend ION First Drive!

Quote:
Originally posted by GR898SL2
But they cautiously added that the ION is still no Honda Civic.
The real truth is the Civic is no ION. Drive one and you'll see whata load of CRAP the current Civic is. All sizzle and no steak

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 01:54 PM   #5
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Re: Motor Trend ION First Drive!

Quote:
Originally posted by saturncanuck
The real truth is the Civic is no ION. Drive one and you'll see whata load of CRAP the current Civic is. All sizzle and no steak

I have to agree. I like the new Civic design, and gave an EX coupe a good 45 minute test drive workout, in the city, on country roads, and in some plats. I walked away from it with the knowledge that I would not purshase one, even if they were able to tow (found out that they are not able to after the test drive) That little 1.7 liter monster boomed and growled through the firewall in an unrefined manner at high RPMs, it felt small and light over bumps, and the brakes felt awful to me. On the highway, I was terrified of semis because I was getting blown all over the road, and it felt as if I would have to go to 4 or even 3rd gear on light to moderate uphill runs to keep up with traffic. The final straw was when I tried to get around a semi, about 3/4 mile before my off ramp, and over 2 lanes... and another semi in the far right lane sped up, and I missed my exit because I couldn't go any faster to get around him.. and the whole time it sounded like a cessna was taking off in front of me from the engine...
I just don't see what these riceboys see in those cars... it felt like a tinny deathtrap. I couldn't imagine what a lower HP HX,LX, or DX would be like.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2002, 04:03 PM   #6
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

The civic isnt all that great but not that bad either. Its definately not an outclassing miracle for its segment. Bland, practical, typical, etc. Quite honestly, i wouldnt own one for the simple fact of how many of them are on the road. They are practically transparent in nature. Not that thats bad, but I kinda like to be a little different than other people...

And its no faultless darling. Recently road in a late model year, 00/01 or so? Suffered from highway wheel vibration, ill suspension noises, etc. but it ran well

Id say the ION is much more daring in attempt to break the mold. Some people might not like the center IP, interchangable roof rails, and laugh at the configurable nokia faceplate interior, but I think its a step in the right direction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2002, 12:14 PM   #7
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy
The civic isnt all that great but not that bad either. Its definately not an outclassing miracle for its segment. Bland, practical, typical, etc.
As a participant in the ION Ride & Drive comparison test, I agree with saturncanuck, OhioVueBoy, and L300Boy's statements. The currrent Civic is a weak effort that is relying too heavily on the brand image of Honda to make it sell...... remember what happened to the American manufacturers when they developed this kind of arrogance?

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #8
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I doubt the MT staff meant it to be interpreted that way, but their remark about the ION not being a Honda Civic just might be a blessing in disguise.

For proof, just look at the mid-pack finish of the Civic in the 10-car gear grabbing compact comparo C&D did a couple of months ago. Too bad the 5-speed manual ION wasn't available at the time of the road test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:28 AM   #9
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member
RustyJCNC is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: Motor Trend ION First Drive!

Quote:
Originally posted by saturncanuck

I never understood the Civic craze. I've driven them and they drive just like any other Honda.

-j

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RustyJCNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RustyJCNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2002, 11:22 PM   #10
Paully
Paully is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 SL1

Civic...Just fill 'em up with Uncle Ben's...At least an ION will run on gasoline...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Paully's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Paully reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread