SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default New Details Emerge as GM Continues to Evaluate Future Options for Saturn

A new feeditems entry has been added:

New Details Emerge as GM Continues to Evaluate Future Options for Saturn

Quote:
Jamie LaReau from Automotive News: Talk about pressure. Just a couple of weeks before General Motors has to submit a detailed plan proving viability, GM executives have no idea what to do with their losing brands. GM asked various companies to run Saturn and absorb the dealerships, provide product lines and perhaps rename the brand, says a source. But no one was interested.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: New Details Emerge as GM Continues to Evaluate Future Options for Saturn

It's been a wild ride the past 18 years. Many of us had Saturn ownership experiences second to none. We went to Homecomings, cajun "cochon de laits" (pig roasts), and made a multitude of friends.

I hope GM finds a way to keep the Saturn dealers and employees working. Even if they have to continue to sell re-badged GM cars.

Long live Saturn!

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
JaySki
JaySki is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New Details Emerge as GM Continues to Evaluate Future Options for Saturn

I think through the history of saturn, in my family, there has been an occsional interest. Being a GM Family, we always looked at all cars across the line up for deals and what was worth the money.
I think until the new VUE, OUtlook, Aura, and now the Astra... Saturn was pretty bland... So much so that even GM cut any real money to marketing.
The Aura.. N.A. Car of the year 2007, and Holden rebadge. Vue-Opel rebadge, Astra - Opel rebadge. Outlook.. Excellent crossover on the Delta.
a 4 car line up across 1200(I think) dealerships. EXCELLENT cars... In fact.. With my family, we now own the entire line up.
My grandfather owns an 07 Aura, Father owns an 08 Outlook, Wife has an 08 Vue, and I just picked up an 08 Astra as a daily commuter.( I also have an 08 Silverado).
The Astra, alone, could/should be a Focus fighter. Insurance rating is better on the Astra, Astra is standard with pretty much everything including 6 airbags. Has a 2 door and 4 hatchback... great on gas. Well built car.. handles GREAT! Problem is.. NO ONE has heard of the Astra! Go sit in a Focus and then an Astra. . just SIT in each... You don't even have to drive them to feel the huge difference. You CAN NOT TOUCH a car for under 20K with all that is standard on this car.. nor touch the quality.
The VUE - Only downfall.. The new chinese 6 Cylinder mated up to the 6 Speed Auto, is less than good on gas. For a compact SUV, teens for gas mileage on a brand new engine and 6 speed auto trans is not acceptable. Power is great though. Handles very well. Leather interior isn't worth it so much.
We have been clamoring for German cars.. finally GM gets them.. and does ZERO marketing.
Aura - Was so good.. They made the Malibu on the same platform and took N.A. Car of the year in 2008. Phenominal car.. Great on gas.. Great driving/riding car, great quaility and styling.

Outlook - It is what it is.. A behemoth crossover - same as Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse. 3 rows of seats... With the excpetion of the Traverse(which has Direct Injection) they utilize the same Chinese 6 Cyl powerplant and 6 speed trans... which provides HORRID mileage. Beautiful car though.. Quaility is great! Styling is clean and value for the money is pretty spot on.

GM - Wake up and put the word out.. For gosh sakes.. AMRKET what you have done to Saturn.. aside from the 1-2 commercials where the guy walks into a dealer and walks back out to check the sign. Market the GERMAN ENGINEERING... The Opel Astra is a blast and is FUN to drive and FUN to own for this segment. I just got rid of a Focus as proof.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JaySki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JaySki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JaySki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

AFAIK, the only Chinese made V6 used by GM was/is the current 3.4L pushrod V6 used only in the Equinox/Torrent. Correct me if I'm wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

You mean all these geniuses, with their MBA's and financial expertise and fancy stochastic processes still can't figure out what to do? Why are they getting paid the big bucks again?

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySki View Post
Outlook - It is what it is.. A behemoth crossover - same as Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse. 3 rows of seats... With the excpetion of the Traverse(which has Direct Injection) they utilize the same Chinese 6 Cyl powerplant and 6 speed trans... which provides HORRID mileage. Beautiful car though.. Quaility is great! Styling is clean and value for the money is pretty spot on.
If you are going to come here and bash Saturn at least get your facts straight. The 3.6L DOHC V6 in the Outlook is not made in China. GM manufactures that engine in three locations...St. Catharines, Ontario...Flint, MI...and Melbourne, Australia. The Chinese manufactured piece of junk engine is the 3400 V6 used in the Equinox and Torrent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
I think through the history of saturn, in my family, there has been an occsional interest. Being a GM Family, we always looked at all cars across the line up for deals and what was worth the money.
I think until the new VUE, OUtlook, Aura, and now the Astra... Saturn was pretty bland... So much so that even GM cut any real money to marketing.
The Aura.. N.A. Car of the year 2007, and Holden rebadge. Vue-Opel rebadge, Astra - Opel rebadge. Outlook.. Excellent crossover on the Delta.
a 4 car line up across 1200(I think) dealerships. EXCELLENT cars... In fact.. With my family, we now own the entire line up.
My grandfather owns an 07 Aura, Father owns an 08 Outlook, Wife has an 08 Vue, and I just picked up an 08 Astra as a daily commuter.( I also have an 08 Silverado).
The Astra, alone, could/should be a Focus fighter. Insurance rating is better on the Astra, Astra is standard with pretty much everything including 6 airbags. Has a 2 door and 4 hatchback... great on gas. Well built car.. handles GREAT! Problem is.. NO ONE has heard of the Astra! Go sit in a Focus and then an Astra. . just SIT in each... You don't even have to drive them to feel the huge difference. You CAN NOT TOUCH a car for under 20K with all that is standard on this car.. nor touch the quality.
The VUE - Only downfall.. The new chinese 6 Cylinder mated up to the 6 Speed Auto, is less than good on gas. For a compact SUV, teens for gas mileage on a brand new engine and 6 speed auto trans is not acceptable. Power is great though. Handles very well. Leather interior isn't worth it so much.
We have been clamoring for German cars.. finally GM gets them.. and does ZERO marketing.
Aura - Was so good.. They made the Malibu on the same platform and took N.A. Car of the year in 2008. Phenominal car.. Great on gas.. Great driving/riding car, great quaility and styling.

GM - Wake up and put the word out.. For gosh sakes.. AMRKET what you have done to Saturn.. aside from the 1-2 commercials where the guy walks into a dealer and walks back out to check the sign. Market the GERMAN ENGINEERING... The Opel Astra is a blast and is FUN to drive and FUN to own for this segment. I just got rid of a Focus as proof.
WOW! - lemme get my hip waiters on for this one and maybe a clothespin for my nose, LOL! Please get your facts straight before you post, friend. I do totally agree with what you wrote about Saturn and the Astra, good points! However...

The 3.5 and 3.6 Litre V6 is NOT made in China, how absurd! The V6 Saturn uses is a GM variant of the Caddilac CTS engine, a GM USA engine!

source: gmpowertrain.com

Saturn NEVER had a Holden model, you are confusing it with Pontiac, who only has ONE Holden model, G8. The Aura is a derivative of the Opel Vectra, which replaced the old Vectra and L-Series. (source: wikipedia)

The VUE is NOT a rebadge. It was actually designed by Daewoo design teams for BOTH Opel and Saturn simultaneously. (the Opel Antara and Prevue Concepts were designed side by side) The VUE also has the V6 CTS derivative.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
JaySki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
WOW! - lemme get my hip waiters on for this one and maybe a clothespin for my nose, LOL! Please get your facts straight before you post, friend. I do totally agree with what you wrote about Saturn and the Astra, good points! However...

The 3.5 and 3.6 Litre V6 is NOT made in China, how absurd! The V6 Saturn uses is a GM variant of the Caddilac CTS engine, a GM USA engine!

source: gmpowertrain.com

Saturn NEVER had a Holden model, you are confusing it with Pontiac, who only has ONE Holden model, G8. The Aura is a derivative of the Opel Vectra, which replaced the old Vectra and L-Series. (source: wikipedia)

The VUE is NOT a rebadge. It was actually designed by Daewoo design teams for BOTH Opel and Saturn simultaneously. (the Opel Antara and Prevue Concepts were designed side by side) The VUE also has the V6 CTS derivative.

OK...
I have been corrected.. My apologies to all.. I don't live and breathe Saturn.. So, I am sincerely sorry for my errors on the origin of the power plant.

I would have sworn the Aura was a holden derivative. Again.. My mistake.. But point still valid as it has been clarified.. it is an Opel joint deal.

My point is still valid that the efficiency of that 3.6L V6, although quite potent is a bit less than stellar.

By the way.. Since we are on facts.. Pontiac has had another Holden car.. The GTO from a few years back.

I wasn't posting to knock Saturn at all.. Obviously.. We own several..
my apologies for the facts I should have verified, but the origins were my point.. The efficiency was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JaySki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
JaySki

Quote:
Originally Posted by page2171 View Post
If you are going to come here and bash Saturn at least get your facts straight. The 3.6L DOHC V6 in the Outlook is not made in China. GM manufactures that engine in three locations...St. Catharines, Ontario...Flint, MI...and Melbourne, Australia. The Chinese manufactured piece of junk engine is the 3400 V6 used in the Equinox and Torrent.
I don't think I was bashing anything other than a couple comments on Fuel efficiency.. High teens for the Vue (V6) and maybe mid teens on the Outlook?
My full size Chevy Silverado V6 does about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
You mean all these geniuses, with their MBA's and financial expertise and fancy stochastic processes still can't figure out what to do? Why are they getting paid the big bucks again?
My impression is that aside from the original Saturn people, the rest of GM NEVER knew what to make of Saturn or what to do about it, with it, or even market it. If the public has no clue (in general) what Saturn is, it is GM's fault. They get the big bucks because they can-- but not much else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
OK...
I have been corrected.. My apologies to all.. I don't live and breathe Saturn.. So, I am sincerely sorry for my errors on the origin of the power plant.

I would have sworn the Aura was a holden derivative. Again.. My mistake.. But point still valid as it has been clarified.. it is an Opel joint deal.

My point is still valid that the efficiency of that 3.6L V6, although quite potent is a bit less than stellar.

By the way.. Since we are on facts.. Pontiac has had another Holden car.. The GTO from a few years back.

I wasn't posting to knock Saturn at all.. Obviously.. We own several..
my apologies for the facts I should have verified, but the origins were my point.. The efficiency was.
Jayski, I just wanted to set the facts straight, wasn't coming down on you. Anyways, as many Saturns in your family, you could say that you do live Saturn! :-) Thanks to you and your family.

btw - Some great resources for Saturn info is Wikipedia (verified) and gmpowertrain.com.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
I don't think I was bashing anything other than a couple comments on Fuel efficiency.. High teens for the Vue (V6) and maybe mid teens on the Outlook?
My full size Chevy Silverado V6 does about that.

Than again, the Silverado is a truck (two different chassis, frames and occupancy values - hence weight), lets look at the weight vs hp ratio as well. 24-25mpg is the realized mpg of the Outlook and VUE btw. Maybe the teens in the city bumper to bumper, but if you are only getting in the teens in a VUE or Outlook sorry, there is something terribly wrong somewhere.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WOW! - lemme get my hip waiters on
Are hip waiters really cool servers at a restaurant?
It's hip waders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
JaySki

Quote:
Than again, the Silverado is a truck (two different chassis, frames and occupancy values - hence weight), lets look at the weight vs hp ratio as well. 24-25mpg is the realized mpg of the Outlook and VUE btw. Maybe the teens in the city bumper to bumper, but if you are only getting in the teens in a VUE or Outlook sorry, there is something terribly wrong somewhere.
Vue - on HWY.. low 20s. Sure. On an average commute of mixed driving - Maybe 16-19.
Outlook - Hwy.. I don;t think I have ever seen it hit 20, and from reading in the Enclave forums, etc.. It is a general complaint. City driving - Not Bumper to Bumper - Averages about 14-16.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
CurveConcept
CurveConcept is on a distinguished road

marx404-What are hip waiters?

I looked at the new VUE V-6 and the RAV4 V-6 and I bought the Toyota. I liked the interior of the VUE better than the RAV4, but the fuel economy is too low for me. I can get 30 miles per gallon on the highway doing 65 M.P.H. with the A/C on and using 87 octane fuel. Although, the RAV4 feels light and seems to be a dent magnet, but you can't beat Toyota service.

I also don't like that the new VUE is a Korean designed product made in Mexico.

What happened to an all American made product with polymer to fight the imports? What a great concept!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CurveConcept's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CurveConcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE
Happy Re: New Details Emerge as GM Continues to Evaluate Future Options for Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveConcept View Post
marx404-What are hip waiters?

those are really cool guys who bring you your drinks, LOL.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Saturn owned by a dealership group - now that would be an interesting development! Wonder how much better the Saturn experience would be if the dealers themselves had skin in the game?

I wonder if this had ever been done in the past? Could dealers raise enough capital to make a go of it? - pretty doubtful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Saturn owned by a dealership group - now that would be an interesting development! Wonder how much better the Saturn experience would be if the dealers themselves had skin in the game?

I wonder if this had ever been done in the past? Could dealers raise enough capital to make a go of it? - pretty doubtful.
The Saturn experience could easily get worse. Money, money, money will be the primary motivating force. I don't see why they would need a lot of money because GM already sold and liquidated everything Saturn owned years ago.

What would they sell? GM cars like Suzuki does? Opels? I don't think so...

I just don't see many options. We'll find out Saturn's fate soon when GM reveals their reorganization plans in a few weeks.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Vue - on HWY.. low 20s. Sure. On an average commute of mixed driving - Maybe 16-19.
Outlook - Hwy.. I don;t think I have ever seen it hit 20, and from reading in the Enclave forums, etc.. It is a general complaint. City driving - Not Bumper to Bumper - Averages about 14-16.
I can't say about the Vue mileage, but the Outlook mileage you are talking about is pretty close to minivan gas mileage (and basically the Outlook is just a glorified minivan without the stigma). My '02 Grand Caravan with less weight to haul around and less power to haul it with gets around 16 in city driving and gets around 20 on the highway. I have gotten as high as 25 with it on longer road trips, but you can see that in the Outlook forum here. So, I don't think that the Outlooks gas mileage is that out of line.

BTW...sorry if I came across a bit hash, just like many others I am getting tired of all the new haters here and I overreacted a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #20
JaySki

Quote:
Originally Posted by page2171 View Post
I can't say about the Vue mileage, but the Outlook mileage you are talking about is pretty close to minivan gas mileage (and basically the Outlook is just a glorified minivan without the stigma). My '02 Grand Caravan with less weight to haul around and less power to haul it with gets around 16 in city driving and gets around 20 on the highway. I have gotten as high as 25 with it on longer road trips, but you can see that in the Outlook forum here. So, I don't think that the Outlooks gas mileage is that out of line.

BTW...sorry if I came across a bit hash, just like many others I am getting tired of all the new haters here and I overreacted a bit.
I agree with your minivan comparison.. But with todays technology.. New 6 Cyl engine with 6 speed auto.. I think it wouldn't be much to expect something better.. in fact.. I bet a lot of money that given better gas mileage (Traverse) it'll sell better. It's an awesome car.. My wife wanted one terribly when we were turning in the Envoy XL. She wanted 3 rows and a DVD player. Cost was just to high.

BTW.. No harm no foul.. Def not a hater.. Was just giving my input...
And it really boils to marketing.. which seems to be becoming an admitted issue from GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!