SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default 2009 Aura XR 2.4L is a Low Key, Nice Car

A new feeditems entry has been added:

2009 Aura XR 2.4L is a Low Key, Nice Car

Quote:
Chris Jackson from Car Data: The 2009 Saturn Aura quickly claimed the dubious honor of the year's "Most Difficult Car to Find in a Crowded Parking Lot" award. It seemed like every time I left a store, a five-minute search would ensue to locate the wine-red vehicle. It's not that the roads are choked with Auras, or even that the car's styling is particularly forgettable.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: 2009 Aura XR 2.4L is a Low Key, Nice Car

Well, he has some nice things to say.. But doesn't he realize the Aura was all new for 2007?!? No wonder why no one bought them at first!

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
RedL300
RedL300 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Why do people refer to the 3.5 liter as if it was junk? (Antiquated")Mine is quiet,powerful on Mountain roads and reliable..(Drive an Avenger if you want "Antiquated)But again,this guy thought the Aura came out in 08..(COTY 2007?) I think he phoned this in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedL300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedL300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

alot of people think that because its an old engine by design its not good. ive seen many gm cars go a long long way on that engine without problems.it gets great mileage and has decent power. i dont know whats not to like either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I'm just guessing but I think he meant the 4 cyl model was all-new for '08 since '07 had 2 V6 variants

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
alot of people think that because its an old engine by design its not good. ive seen many gm cars go a long long way on that engine without problems.it gets great mileage and has decent power. i dont know whats not to like either
It seems that people just snicker upon any pushrod engines these days. Compared to it's predecessors, the 3.5 VVT is impressive. I like it a lot!

I just wish that it was paired to a better transmission at times. First gear is a bit tall, and it is reluctant to downshift at times. However, it's very smooth. This powertrain works well with this car.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
It seems that people just snicker upon any pushrod engines these days. Compared to it's predecessors, the 3.5 VVT is impressive. I like it a lot!

I just wish that it was paired to a better transmission at times. First gear is a bit tall, and it is reluctant to downshift at times. However, it's very smooth. This powertrain works well with this car.
I wish i had the Six speed with my four banger!!! this trany blows with this car it would so much quicker and more smooth with it but alas, i have a 4 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I had a brother-in-law who got a bit upset when he discovered that my 08 Aura 3.5 got better fuel economy than his 4 cylinder Toyota did, while on a trip together. We were on a trip in the Mid West and my Aura consistently got 2 - 3 more MPG than his car did. Hard to beat a big slow turning GM pushrod V6 that loafs along at 1900 RPM at interstate speeds.

Regards:
Oldengineer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oldengineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oldengineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldengineer View Post
I had a brother-in-law who got a bit upset when he discovered that my 08 Aura 3.5 got better fuel economy than his 4 cylinder Toyota did, while on a trip together. We were on a trip in the Mid West and my Aura consistently got 2 - 3 more MPG than his car did. Hard to beat a big slow turning GM pushrod V6 that loafs along at 1900 RPM at interstate speeds.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Easy to beat with a Aura XR 3.6
3.5's spec says 20 MPG city, 29 MPG highway
3.6's spec says 20 MPG city, 28 MPG Highway

3.5 has 224 HP@5800 and 220 lb/ft @4000
3.6 has 252 HP@6400 and 251 lb/ft @3200

So the 3.6 gets the same MPG with more horse power and a much braoder torque curve and has one more gear to pass that power along.

Point is, it's not hard to get something that beats a slow OHV V6, it just takes a DOHC-4valve V6

So for little to no better gas mileage, why opt for the old OHV engine when you can have a twin cam quad valve VVT V6? If it just about the MPG's buy the 4, if it's about everything else, you go for the 3.6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Easy to beat with a Aura XR 3.6
3.5's spec says 20 MPG city, 29 MPG highway
3.6's spec says 20 MPG city, 28 MPG Highway

3.5 has 224 HP@5800 and 220 lb/ft @4000
3.6 has 252 HP@6400 and 251 lb/ft @3200

So the 3.6 gets the same MPG with more horse power and a much braoder torque curve and has one more gear to pass that power along.

Point is, it's not hard to get something that beats a slow OHV V6, it just takes a DOHC-4valve V6

So for little to no better gas mileage, why opt for the old OHV engine when you can have a twin cam quad valve VVT V6? If it just about the MPG's buy the 4, if it's about everything else, you go for the 3.6.

In reality, my 3.5 has never gotten highway mileage as low as its EPA rating. The worst I've ever gotten on a trip was 30.5, the best 34. My other car, an 06 Jaguar S-Type with the 300 HP 32 valve V8 with VVT and 306 Ft-Lbs of torque delivered 27.5 MPG on the 3 long trips I took it on since I bought it several months ago. I typically stay away from 4's because I live in a mountainous state. I've typically never gotten great fuel economy nor longevity out of a four because they scream their guts out on our interstates here.

Regards:
Oldengineer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oldengineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oldengineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

My mileage on long trips has run from 28.5 to 32.5 with most in the 30 MPG range on summer fuel and 28 on winter gas.
I love the fact that my 3.6 is turning 2000 RPM at 75 MPH and can easily hit 80 on the onram. The paddle shifters are the only way to drive mountain roads taking advantage of the low RPM torque and broad power band.
Haven't had a car this much fun to drive in the mountains since my Mitsubishi Starion with the 2.6 L Turbo and 5 speed stick. That car had almost 300 HP from a 4 banger and the Turbocharger gave it the torque of a V8 The gas mileage was the same as a big V8 too, it sucked

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote