SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
travisj027
travisj027 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default My 2002 Saturn SC1 idles at 2000 RPM while in park. There is also a knocking sound.

Okay, about two or three weeks ago I am driving down my dirt road and my car keeps trying to go 10 miles an hour without me putting any gas on it. So I get in my yard and put it in park and it is idling at 2000 RPM without me doing anything. So I cut it off and it has only been doing it maybe once a week ever since then.

Today I was driving home and it keep accelerating on its own. So I finally get on my dirt road and it does it again. So I put my car in park and cut it off. Cut it back on and it is gone, proceed down the road and by the time I get in my yard (2 minutes maybe) it is doing it again!

Then there is this knocking sound in my undercarriage. I think it may be my driver side CV because I've had it before except this time it is worse and I recently replaced the passenger side CV.

Please help, I need to know what is wrong with this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travisj027's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travisj027 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travisj027 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: My 2002 Saturn SC1 idles at 2000 RPM while in park. There is also a knocking soun

Your intake is leaking. It's a known defect that was assembled incorrectly at the factory. Spray some Brakleen or carb cleaner (engine running) where the head and intake meet at cylinder #1 (closest to the passenger side, behind the power steering pump if your car is so equipped). You will hear the change in idle when you spray it. Replacing the gasket is an easy DIY project that can be done in a day without a problem. I would also check for other vacuum leaks, 2K RPM is pretty high. Any CEL on?

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2
Default Re: My 2002 Saturn SC1 idles at 2000 RPM while in park. There is also a knocking soun

The high idle that goes away when you turn it off and then restart it is the TPS. Get a new one from either the dealer, Get Saturn Parts, or the junkyard. The aftermarket TPS are not reliable.

You also may have a vacuum leak as mentioned above.

If its an axle then you know what it sounds like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
travisj027

2002 SC1

No there are no Check Engine Lights on or anything like that. If I take it to a dealer how much is it going to cost me? I just had the cylinder head gasket replaced a year ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help travisj027 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

If its an intake gasket, lots. And if its a TPS more than $100.00. You can definitely change the TPS yourself, gasket also if its leaking. Try the brake cleaner test and see if that the problem. It also would provide and excellent opportunity for you to clean the throttle body. See the first post in the How To Library for the 3 part video on how to do it right. Use the forum jump at the bottom of thee page to get to the How-Too Library.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
travisj027

2002 SC1

Well I tried the brake cleaner test. It hasn't went over 2000 RPM while in park yet but the problem still occurs in:

When I brake it tries to accelerate a little bit. I'll break, then press on it a little bit harder then you see my RPM go up and up then back down again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
guzzel
guzzel is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

I just replaced the TPS on my 01 SL2 that was experiencing the same behavior. If you're slightly mechanically inclined, you can probably replace it yourself.

The part cost ~$35 at the dealership, and I was told it was a minimum charge of 1 labor hour to install. Decided against having them do it.

I went home and discovered the part only required the removal of 2 hex (i think) screws as well as a 2 wire connector. 15 minutes later my car is purring like a cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guzzel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guzzel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guzzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzel View Post
I just replaced the TPS on my 01 SL2 that was experiencing the same behavior. If you're slightly mechanically inclined, you can probably replace it yourself.

The part cost ~$35 at the dealership, and I was told it was a minimum charge of 1 labor hour to install. Decided against having them do it.

I went home and discovered the part only required the removal of 2 hex (i think) screws as well as a 2 wire connector. 15 minutes later my car is purring like a cat.
So there is a how-to guide to change the TPS? Can I order the part through advance or auto zone? Or do I have to order it through Saturn?

I am slightly mechanically inclined. My friend can help me if needed be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!