SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default No 2009 Astra for U.S. Customers, 2010 Model Due Later this Year with New Options

A new story entry has been added:

No 2009 Astra for U.S. Customers, 2010 Model Due Later this Year with New Options

Quote:
If you've been on the lookout for a 2009 Saturn Astra, you can stop looking (that is unless you live in Canada, where Saturn is reportedly selling them). Due to the large number of 2008 Astras still in stock - about 5,500 units - Saturn is canceling plans to build a '09 model for the U.S. market.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
dindak
dindak is on a distinguished road

Default Re: No 2009 Astra for U.S. Customers, 2010 Model Due Later this Year with New Options

Astra needs a sedan model, more power and better fuel economy. That would sell!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dindak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dindak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dindak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: No 2009 Astra for U.S. Customers, 2010 Model Due Later this Year with New Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dindak View Post
Astra needs a sedan model, more power and better fuel economy. That would sell!!
I don't understand the love of sedans and dislike of hatchbacks. I know it's not everyone but I've had people tell me that. A hatchback is far more versatile and convenient.

I want more power and better fuel economy too. Unfortunately, the addition of one usually subtracts from the other. A 6th gear would benefit the manual though.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
manofthefield
manofthefield is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
I don't understand the love of sedans and dislike of hatchbacks. I know it's not everyone but I've had people tell me that. A hatchback is far more versatile and convenient.
My guess is it has nothing to do with practicality and everything to do with what's in style. Why did everyone have to have a behemoth SUV these past 10 years? Cause that's what was "in". For some reason, hatchbacks have never really been "in," in the US anyway. I don't know if it's the history of sedans/spotty history of hatchbacks or if sedans are just perceived as more upscale...

In my eyes, the Astra is one of the better looking cars on the road, but I can see that a lot of people want sedans. I guess they're just sheep. If I was Saturn, I'd want an Astra sedan in the lineup. I bet it would double sales. But I'd still go for the 3dr hatch

1998 Suzuki GS500 - 1998 Toyota Tacoma - 2008 Astra in my future?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manofthefield's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manofthefield reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manofthefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

I looked at the Astras competitors in the US today and I must say, why GM havent made more of an effort is beyond me.

Take a look at the Ford Focus Sedan for example. It comes with optional ABS brakes. Drums. Even a Dacia (GREAT NEWS) comes with ABS (discs) standard here.
The Astra is playing in a whole different league. As such it's poor sales is suprising, maybe Americans just don't appreciate technology that may save their life? Is it all about the cupholders? I am stumped.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Don't understand it either. One the execs at work was looking for a small affordable car for his daughter. Suggested the Astra, as of course he had never heard of it. Showed it to his daughter and she basically said "nope, no hatchbacks", so they are now looking at Aveos and Cobalts instead.

"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i think this is the first time ive ever seen a car miss a model year without an all new one coming to replace it. example no 83 corvette because 84 was all new and came out early. no 09 astra but the 10 is the same car with minor changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
I looked at the Astras competitors in the US today and I must say, why GM havent made more of an effort is beyond me.

Take a look at the Ford Focus Sedan for example. It comes with optional ABS brakes. Drums. Even a Dacia (GREAT NEWS) comes with ABS (discs) standard here.
The Astra is playing in a whole different league. As such it's poor sales is suprising, maybe Americans just don't appreciate technology that may save their life? Is it all about the cupholders? I am stumped.
In the U.S. small cars for many manufacturers (namely the big U.S. ones) don't turn much/any profit, so cost-cutting happens. From the consumer standpoint, many don't see a point in spending lots of money for small cars - the whole "economy" image. For example, the original Focus (back when we all got the same one...) didn't offer a lot of equipment the European Focus models did. We didn't get automatic A/C, parking sensors, etc.

The small car market is odd about features. For years Honda only offered ABS on the top level EX Civics, for over $16k, though fortunately they're on a safety push nowadays. Ford offered stability control around 2001-02 on the Focus, packaged with ABS, but at over $1500 it was very expensive for the market, especially when only VWs really had it at the time. On the bright side most every small car does have at least 4-6 airbags standard now.

The Astra really offers a lot of the basic equipment many look for (and in some cases should look for) in a small car I'd say, but since it's standard the base price is higher and many are put off, instead looking for a car with a lower initial price plus the other options.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
Is it all about the cupholders? I am stumped.
As I am too. You should see the disinterested look I get when I explain ABS or Stabilitrac to most customers, LOL. What finally gets their attention is when I tell them that those features may save them money on insurance, then they suddenly become attentive. wow.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
JTO
JTO is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Hey, at least Saturn has plans for the future. It's looking better all the time

I was totally impressed when I first drove the car, the handling dynamics were just what I wanted. Most North Americans want don't appreciate the driving experience much, they prefer a cushy ride over controlled rebound dampening. If Saturn could get more people to look at the Astra I think it would be successful, there are still lots of people who value high quality and engineering. Although another cupholder for the girlfreind would be nice...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JTO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JTO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont think anyone is saying its not a good car but it isnt a high volume car. they replaced the ion, which sold tons of cars, for a low volume car. the astra is more of an enthusiasts car and the ion was for the masses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I'm waiting for the Buy one get one free sale!!

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
AWDV6
AWDV6 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Roll Eyes Re: No 2009 Astra for U.S. Customers, 2010 Model Due Later this Year with New Options

HEY FOLKS! Look what I found!!!! A 2009 ASTRA

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AWDV6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AWDV6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AWDV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
cooktxargaflaz
cooktxargaflaz is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I really like the Astra, It's really good looking and handles well. It's amazing to me that only 5500 will suffice the entire US for awhile. I am sure the S series probably sold that many in a week during it's prime, not mention the ION.

Although hatchbacks are really versatile, I don't like the small amount crush space provided for the rear seat passengers in the event of a serious collision with the rear of the car. I know that statistics show that's unlikely, but having the space of a trunk to absorb the impact just makes sense from a safety standpoint. I am thinking of those highway patrol dash cam videos where cars like the Crown Vic are totaled in high speed rear end collisions, but the passenger compartment survives mainly intact.

Another downer about hatchbacks (or SUVs for that matter) is the ability of anything in the trunk space to become a cabin projectile in a crash, rollover or otherwise.

After having a conversation with my friend in the highway patrol, I took the aftermarket DVD system off the headrests and I always put the cargo in the trunk now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cooktxargaflaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cooktxargaflaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cooktxargaflaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by m100 View Post
Don't understand it either. One the execs at work was looking for a small affordable car for his daughter. Suggested the Astra, as of course he had never heard of it. Showed it to his daughter and she basically said "nope, no hatchbacks", so they are now looking at Aveos and Cobalts instead.
Aveo and Cobalt? barf. I sat in a Cobalt and G3 (rebadged Aveo) at the auto show and said "nope". Astra is nicer inside. and hatches are handy! when I first saw a 1991 Saturn SC -- I thought it was a hatch. I consider getting a Acura Integra but was feeling patriotic when I got my 92 SC.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
mdukin
mdukin is on a distinguished road

...And I would like to see hatch Aura ( Vectra )...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdukin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdukin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I thought the 2010 Astra was completely redesigned.. This makes it sound like they are adding a iPod jack to the version that is over here now and calling it a 2010 model..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Germane German
Germane German is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 VUE 3.5L

It sounds like pretty thin gruel for the "2010" changes. Will the one we've seen spy pictures of be the 2011 then?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Germane German's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Germane German reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Germane German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

id bet the 09 astra in ohio is a grey market vehicle from canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

actually im wrong. the 2009 astra in ohio was a gm pilot test vehicle. build number is 19. so there is at least 1 09 astra in the us. talk about a very rare car. probably 1 of 1 built.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!