SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Outlook Proves Detroit Can Nail It

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Outlook Proves Detroit Can Nail It

Quote:
Mark Patinkin from the Providence Journal: I bought a Ford Expedition, which was too big. So I in 1999, I got a Dodge Durango, a slightly smaller 3-seat SUV. That carried me until two years ago, when, still needing three seats for baseball bags and packs of teens, I got another SUV, a Saturn Outlook.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Outlook Proves Detroit Can Nail It

What is that now, 2 props in a week. We're on a roll now!!

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Just don't try chainging the oil unless you want to burn yourself on the exhaust manifold and get oil all over some subframe part. I don't think it'll last a minute off road. (as in a place a ORV enthusiast would take a stock solid axle Jeep (wrangler, older Cherokees, etc)

But 90% of people probably use their 'suvs' for tackling 2 inches of snow going to the store or making sure they can get out when they park in the lawn at the football field for tailgating. As for oil changes, they probably take it to kwikie lube where sometimes they're told to 'forget about the filter'. I worked at one and, yes, I've done that so it's done in 10 minutes or less. And they probably won't try to figure out the graduations (lines) in the voltmeter and temp gauge indicate. (seems purely cosmetic to me as for volts one line is .7 volt or something I think)

And for that 90%, It's a nice set of wheels.

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Last edited by 1993SC2; 01-27-2009 at 02:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993SC2 View Post
Just don't try chainging the oil unless you want to burn yourself on the exhaust manifold and get oil all over some subframe part. I don't think it'll last a minute off road. (as in a place a ORV enthusiast would take a stock solid axle Jeep (wrangler, older Cherokees, etc)

But 90% of people probably use their 'suvs' for tackling 2 inches of snow going to the store or making sure they can get out when they park in the lawn at the football field for tailgating. As for oil changes, they probably take it to kwikie lube where sometimes they're told to 'forget about the filter'. I worked at one and, yes, I've done that so it's done in 10 minutes or less. And they probably won't try to figure out the graduations (lines) in the voltmeter and temp gauge indicate. (seems purely cosmetic to me as for volts one line is .7 volt or something I think)

And for that 90%, It's a nice set of wheels.
Tell us how you really feel. First off it is not being sold as an off road vehicle, though that does not stop some from trying and paying dearly for it. Second, I have no idea what your talking about with the gauges, mainly because I don't know enough about them to begin with, so what are you talking about? Do the guages have to be screwed to the top (or bottom) of the dash with wires running to the engine to be real (that much I do know from the days I had a street racer [75 Cordova]).

Is your experience from changing the oil on one of these because that seems to be your biggest beef? What's the year on yours? Let us know!

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
1993SC2
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
Tell us how you really feel. ...
Is your experience from changing the oil on one of these because that seems to be your biggest beef? What's the year on yours? Let us know!
My dad has an XE, I think it's a 2007 or 2008. I like it for what it is.

My rant: I've moved from my 1993 SC2 into Jeeps now, and have some beef against the government (mpg standards don't really allow heavier duty driveline components, and high gas prices have pushed average joe's into 'soft roaders' like the VUE, Outlook, Trailblazer, and other SUVs that are either car based or have low ground clearance (Motor Trend took out an oil pan of a Trailblazer/Envoy off roading.)) I think the EPA regulations will eventually kill anything that's bigger than a current Honda Civic unless we're willing sacrafice some space to tote around 300 pounds of battery with environmentally very unfriendly substances inside.

My rant aside...
Well, I look at the gauge for the volts, how it's 9 (low) on the left, 14 in the middle (here or a little lower is good when running), and 18? to the right. I'm a 'full instrumentation' guy so I tried to figure out what the lines in between these numbers mean (1 volt, 2 volt, etc... just like the line between 50 and 60 on a car speedometer would mean 55mph).

Little details like that got to my nerves, and the oil change...
the oil filter is under the front exhaust manifold, just like on a 3100/3400v6. Well, approaching the filter on the bottom to avoid getting burnt, there's a subframe crossmember right there and very little room to reach up and remove/replace the oil filter. If any old oil spills out, then there's a mess that'll drip and upset customers (they think it's leaking oil) and it's a pain to change.

As I said, for 90% of buyers who have their service done for them, and don't like to go off road more than a mild 2track or dirt road once in a while, it's a great vehicle. I think it's comfortable and roomy enough for people over five feet tall (I'm 5'6") even in the third row.

Sadly for me and other ORV enthusiasts we don't have many options for wagon body vehicles... Nissan Xterra (I think, or is that their small pickup?) or Jeep Wrangler. The liberty would sort of fit into this, but I think it's aimed more at those wanting four wheel drive over snowy roads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My dad has an XE, I think it's a 2007 or 2008. I like it for what it is.

My rant: I've moved from my 1993 SC2 into Jeeps now, and have some beef against the government (mpg standards don't really allow heavier duty driveline components, and high gas prices have pushed average joe's into 'soft roaders' like the VUE, Outlook, Trailblazer, and other SUVs that are either car based or have low ground clearance (Motor Trend took out an oil pan of a Trailblazer/Envoy off roading.)) I think the EPA regulations will eventually kill anything that's bigger than a current Honda Civic unless we're willing sacrafice some space to tote around 300 pounds of battery with environmentally very unfriendly substances inside.
It isn't just the high gas prices (though that certainly doesn't hurt).
People want all the look of an SUV with the functionality of a car/minivan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Outlook Proves Detroit Can Nail It

well i am one of those softroaders.. I would consider an outlook to replace my aging minivan. at this time in life, i haul kids all over the place. and in the summer I pull a 3000lb popup camper around. my van is maxed out when pulling up the hills in WV.
more space is good .
more hauling power is better.
and decent gas mileage( for this size of car) is essential. they seem to be sellling well. ihope to get used one sometime.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

on the outlook the battery gage is not a volt gage when the car is running. it measures volts with ignition on and car off. when car running it tells the condition of the charging system but it isnt a volt meter. i think it tells amps like a battery charger...also i change my oil and put an old rag under the oil filter and havent had much of a problem or been burned

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
1993SC2
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
well i am one of those softroaders.. I would consider an outlook to replace my aging minivan. at this time in life, i haul kids all over the place. and in the summer I pull a 3000lb popup camper around. my van is maxed out when pulling up the hills in WV.
more space is good .
more hauling power is better.
and decent gas mileage( for this size of car) is essential. they seem to be sellling well. ihope to get used one sometime.
The outlook was designed for people like you. Look into a new one while prices are rock bottom due to slow sales, you might be able to work out a deal and find one just the way you want it (custom order or maybe another dealer would have one). My dad said they can haul up to 5000 pounds. This is equal to my Cherokee. I like the squared off rugged look, but less wind resistance=less wind noise for wifey to complain about. And I'll confess the curvy Outlook/GMC Acadia look really good cleaned up. Just don't mention it's uglier but more feature-full Buick sibling. <the Buick ones are ugly on the outside, but really super nice inside, a step up from the Aura XR in terms of luxury.

I think being a Jeep Cherokee guy, happy with my manual-everything-except-the-transmission and wanting a manual transmission, I'm really comparing grapes to kiwis here. Both make practical daily drivers, but one lives for trails and is a textbook example for 'simplicity' and the other prefers asphalt, is user-friendly to the max, with an upscale, classy look.

As for the voltmeter telling the condition of the charging system
While it's running if healthy it should read about 13-14 volts. If the alternator fails/battery is somehow otherwise not getting a charge, then the voltmeter will slowly drop as the battery is discharged from radio, lights, engine computer(s), and ignition system. If this discharge continues, eventually it'll stall out. With the vehicle not running, key to 'run' most vehicles will indicate the current voltage of the battery (should be 12-13 volts, 11 is starting to get weak). So, we're both right.

Last edited by 1993SC2; 01-28-2009 at 01:03 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

yeah its strange. when i first got mine it was a little under half and i didnt know if i would make it home. then i read and found it wasnt even volts so the more the battery is charged the lower it reads. when its sat for many days it reads higher because it needs to charge more. id never heard of a gauge reading thatway

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The outlook was designed for people like you. Look into a new one while prices are rock bottom due to slow sales, you might be able to work out a deal and find one just the way you want it (custom order or maybe another dealer would have one). My dad said they can haul up to 5000 pounds. This is equal to my Cherokee. I like the squared off rugged look, but less wind resistance=less wind noise for wifey to complain about. And I'll confess the curvy Outlook/GMC Acadia look really good cleaned up. Just don't mention it's uglier but more feature-full Buick sibling. <the Buick ones are ugly on the outside, but really super nice inside, a step up from the Aura XR in terms of luxury.

I think being a Jeep Cherokee guy, happy with my manual-everything-except-the-transmission and wanting a manual transmission, I'm really comparing grapes to kiwis here. Both make practical daily drivers, but one lives for trails and is a textbook example for 'simplicity' and the other prefers asphalt, is user-friendly to the max, with an upscale, classy look.

since you realized you are comparing grapes to kiwis, I don't see the point in mentioning your beloved jeep; they are different animals. the outlook is a tall station wagon, w/ AWD for safety and control, not off roading. it's easy to see that there isn't any ground clearance, it's relatively tall for comfort.
it drives like a car, and it's intended/designed for the way people actually use their vehicles. it makes a lot more sense than people who commute in a truck.
this type of vehicle is a natural progression from the luxury trucks that tryto soften some of the truck aspects; most people don't 'need' solid axles, full frames, or low range tranfer cases w/ locking hubs to drive to work each day. they do need a safe, reliable car w/ lots of room that won't get stuck in snow and can pull the boat up over the mtn and carry all the kids to the soccer game.
there are a few guys in my area w/ jacked up modded cherokees, wheel flares and all, and they use it as a daily driver. personally I find that pretty ridiculous, but to each his own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

That is why they call it a CUV !!

Definitely no off-roading with it. I'm not nuts or is it I actually exist with embedded commonsense !

You soon realize the ground clearance at the front ie. bottom of front spoiler is not as high as someone would expect (which i fd out is somewhat pliable when coming off a steep driveway onto a road ...crackle-scratch-&%$!#, but no visible damage wheee) but i wouldn't want to run thru a deeply rutted snow/ice covered residential street as some are this month ! you'll snap or break chunks off of the 'spoiler' before ya get onto the main feeder road a block away.

I always called my 86honda accord hatchback a mini-van without the headrm .. based on all the gear i could pack into it.

Now with my '08 FWD Outlook I have the headroom/payload of mini-van with great looks !

I think i'll measure the clearance btwn this CUV 'spoiler' and the one on my honda instead of just wondering if they're both the same . . . . .

nite,
doug c

'08 FWD XE Outlook CUV !

Last edited by Doug C; 02-01-2009 at 11:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

Initial clearance before a undercarriage bump or two ;

Outlook XE 8.25"
Accord HB 9.5"

And I HAVE taken my Accord over terrian, that I would not want to take my CUV Outlook !

If you wanted to forego the early warning system (which we could call this airdam/spoiler), I think it could be removed as there seems to be a seperation seam btwn it and the next structure piece with at least the first nut/bolt being on the outer crnr.

On mine, due to that earlier 'hit' on pavement the bottom edge of the airdam is not so factory smoooooth any longer.

doug c

p.s. down in the calagary subdivision of mckenzietowne, saw an oil slick on the top of a ice/snow rut covered residential st., evidence of what happens when a oil pan impacts ice/snow, hard as cement ! Granted there are people that drive round with lowriders not thinking of what their clearances actually are ... shucks just last week saw a motorcycle on the deerfoot freeway .... Idiot !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote