SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default GM Has Allocated Funding for 2012-13 Saturn Vehicles

A new feeditems entry has been added:

GM Has Allocated Funding for 2012-13 Saturn Vehicles

Quote:
Jamie LaReau from Automotive News: General Motors leaders told Saturn dealers today that funding has been allocated to build Saturn vehicles through 2012 and in some cases 2013. But they stopped short of saying Saturn would get new products and won't be killed. "We are still working through many options," but Saturn is "not going away in 30 days," said Todd Ingersoll, a Saturn dealer on the Franchise Operations Team who attended a Saturn dealer meeting at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in New Orleans.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: GM Has Allocated Funding for 2012-13 Saturn Vehicles

I think I'll allocate 100 million to Saturn too. Oh wait, I don't have a spare 100 mil....and neither does GM.

It would be a bit more meaningful if GM actually had cash to "allocate" to Saturn. If I had to guess, this is to keep people from shunning Saturn dealers until such time as they can move existing inventory.

Best regards,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
I think I'll allocate 100 million to Saturn too. Oh wait, I don't have a spare 100 mil....and neither does GM.

It would be a bit more meaningful if GM actually had cash to "allocate" to Saturn. If I had to guess, this is to keep people from shunning Saturn dealers until such time as they can move existing inventory.
I guess you can choose to look at this news in a negative light, but if things for Saturn were as bad as some members around here predict them to be, I think GM would be talking about Saturn in the same manner they do Saab and Hummer (they're not). I'm more optimistic about the situation, and I think this is good news -- I believe its a big indicator that Saturn is here to stay.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I guess you can choose to look at this news in a negative light, but if things for Saturn were as bad as you and a few other members predict them to be, I think GM would be talking about Saturn in the same manner they do Saab and Hummer (they're not). I'm more optimistic about the situation, and I think this is good news -- I believe its a big indicator that Saturn is here to stay.

Charlie
No worries. Half full or half empty. I'm sure we won't be in suspense for long.

Best regards,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

id consider this great news. we know we at least have 4 years and hopefully by then things will be ok. some chance is better than no cnance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I guess you can choose to look at this news in a negative light, but if things for Saturn were as bad as some members around here predict them to be, I think GM would be talking about Saturn in the same manner they do Saab and Hummer (they're not). I'm more optimistic about the situation, and I think this is good news -- I believe its a big indicator that Saturn is here to stay.
Charlie
I hope Saturn will be around a long time, despite what some members here think of my intonations. I still say bring back the polymer on a small economical car and they'll sell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I also consider this to be great news. Some may have not liked the old Saturn, and some may have not liked the new lineup. Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, while I love driving euro-imported Opels as Saturns, I would love even more for Saturn to return to its roots as a lineup of smaller, fuel efficient cars. I admired the polymer, but I didn't admire the lack of refinement (both interior and exterior) as compared to the competition.

Not everyone will buy a chevy, so I think if Saturn offered some different (and less bland) good quality cars, they will do well well for GM as a whole when the gas prices rise again.

Ritz, I somehow don't think GM is saying they will alott Saturn money if they aren't willing to do so. I think it all depends on whether they will, as an entire company, weather the economic storm. I think the statement GM is trying to make with this announcement, is that they aren't going to remove Saturn from the fold, like it was previously thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: GM Has Allocated Funding for 2012-13 Saturn Vehicles

Unless Saturn being around until 2012-13 also means their current lineup will be updated with both refreshed and all-new models, I'm taking this news as nothing more than meaningless bull*****. What the hell good is it if GM keeps Saturn around another 4 or 5 years and once again starves them of new, competitive product? It's the same thing GM did to Saturn in the 90s, and look what happened then. Does any sane person think buyers will consider a new Saturn in 2012 if it's the same Saturn from 2007? Is GM management on crack or just retarded?

I'm not betting on good news about Saturn's future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

GM did the same for Oldsmobile. Basically kept them around for 4-5 years with no product updates while rumors swirl around that they might kill the brand. Although rumors of this were around back in the mid-90's, this time (early 2000) it was much more serious. With that fear, customers avoided buying anything Oldsmobile and basically that was the nail on the coffin. When the news broke out it was official, Oldsmobile was just left to dry to die for 2-3 more years so they can plan out what to do with the dealer contracts and deplete its inventory and manufacturing plant capabilities.

IMO, this sounds A LOT like Oldsmobile a decade ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

If Saturn sticks around, guess GM doesn't plan on selling any Saturns in central Jersey. With Saturn of Freehold, Brunswick, and Eatontown all gone, I don't think there are any Saturn dealers left in the Monmouth/Ocean/Middlesex region.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: GM Has Allocated Funding for 2012-13 Saturn Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
If Saturn sticks around, guess GM doesn't plan on selling any Saturns in central Jersey. With Saturn of Freehold, Brunswick, and Eatontown all gone, I don't think there are any Saturn dealers left in the Monmouth/Ocean/Middlesex region.
Those shutdown Saturn retailers were owned by the DCH Auto Group, which also closed 2 of the 3 Saturn retailers near me. What's that about rats leaving a sinking ship?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post
Those shutdown Saturn retailers were owned by the DCH Auto Group, which also closed 2 of the 3 Saturn retailers near me. What's that about rats leaving a sinking ship?

The Saturn dealer in NJ where I bought my original 3 cars is also gone now too (Difeo in Jersey City).

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 01-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseto View Post
GM did the same for Oldsmobile. Basically kept them around for 4-5 years with no product updates while rumors swirl around that they might kill the brand. Although rumors of this were around back in the mid-90's, this time (early 2000) it was much more serious. With that fear, customers avoided buying anything Oldsmobile and basically that was the nail on the coffin. When the news broke out it was official, Oldsmobile was just left to dry to die for 2-3 more years so they can plan out what to do with the dealer contracts and deplete its inventory and manufacturing plant capabilities.

IMO, this sounds A LOT like Oldsmobile a decade ago.
No, it sounds different. That's not quite what happened to Oldsmobile.

Oldsmobile introduced (as well as the several concept cars shown in between) the 1995 Aurora, 1998 Intrigue, 1999 Alero, 2001 Aurora, and 2002 Bravada. A lot of the cars were in the development pipeline before the December 2000 announcement. They were working on finding a direction/reinventing Oldsmobile, before they came right out and said they were dropping it. Olds didn't really get a chance to really come back. Saturn, they're dancing around, kind of "will they/won't they," after they've introduced a lot of products for the reinvention.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

I just don't see any way in which I would buy a new Saturn right now. Used Ion or old Vue? Maybe. I also think GM is just saying empty words to get some folks to buy a new Saturn, when they are just using a few years to figure out the cheapest way to kill off the brand.

I'm not going to believe any talking heads from corporate when in reality Saturn of Oakland died and never came back a year ago, Saturn of Fremont died about 2 weeks ago, and Saturn of Concord is barely around living off the over priced maintenance work of Saturns still on the road and displaced from closer dealerships because the others are already closed.

Heck, three weeks ago I actually went to Chevy and checked out the HHR, Cobalt, and smallest model (which is anemic and over priced,) but that entire sales experience left a horrible taste in my mouth in regards to Chevy. Bunch of slimy hard sale, rip you off in any way possible, bait and switch merchants.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

What GM didn't say was that they only allocated 15 dollars and 62 cents towards Saturn's 2012-2013 vehicles. Incidentally that was how much loose change they found laying around GM headquarters, and this is the largest source of income they've had in months. Stock prices are expected to soar above $0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
No, it sounds different. That's not quite what happened to Oldsmobile.

Oldsmobile introduced (as well as the several concept cars shown in between) the 1995 Aurora, 1998 Intrigue, 1999 Alero, 2001 Aurora, and 2002 Bravada. A lot of the cars were in the development pipeline before the December 2000 announcement. They were working on finding a direction/reinventing Oldsmobile, before they came right out and said they were dropping it. Olds didn't really get a chance to really come back. Saturn, they're dancing around, kind of "will they/won't they," after they've introduced a lot of products for the reinvention.
So Olds introduced a bunch of new products and tried reinvented itself as the test bed for future GM models and an import fighter in the mid-nineties before the news of its death? How is this not different from Saturn reinventing itself from its former non-traditional GM, polymer friendly past to GM rehash and Opel influence and aiming at the domestic-brand VW fighter of recent?

I would disagree on one thing. Oldsmobile did get a serious chance to survive as evidence of a huge influx of money from the mothership in the mid-nineties when it was reinventing itself. Pretty similar to what GM has been doing to Saturn the past few years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

oldsmobile could never get over being the old person car. they actually were thinking of changing their name to aurura in the mid 90s. the first year aurura didnt have the name oldsmobile on it anywhere. saturn has a huge loyal base of customers. many buy an aura or outlook because its a saturn. mayne because of owner loyalty they may save us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Scions are sold at Toyota dealers, right? I guess I could see GM keeping the Saturn name around, and selling them at Chevy dealers just as Scions are sold at the same dealerships as Toyotas.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
CurveConcept
CurveConcept is on a distinguished road

I agree with the other posts and "thatjerryguy".

GM has no plans to go back to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles or even polymer. GM has said that future Opels will go to Buick. So that option is out for Saturn. It is not what GM said, but rather what they did not say that I find to be the most telling. GM did not say Saturn would have updated or totally new vehicles and they didn't say how much they plan to spend on Saturn. In a time when Saturn dealers are closing and Saturns are not selling customers want to hear "Saturn is here to stay!" What they are hearing is "Saturn will have funding until 2012/2013". What happens after 2013?

It looks like GM is going to starve their dealers to death to get out of their fiduciary obligations.

Would you buy a Saturn now or in four years from now that is basically the same as a 2007 model? If Saturn can't sell vehicles now, I don't see how this recent news can help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CurveConcept's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Scions are sold at Toyota dealers, right? I guess I could see GM keeping the Saturn name around, and selling them at Chevy dealers just as Scions are sold at the same dealerships as Toyotas.
They tried that with the Geo line and just folded into Chey anyway. They were import models made with Toyota and Suzuki. I had a Geo Prizim which was a great car. The 2 parts that failed on my Geo was the GM radio and the ac?Delco alternator that was on the Toyota 1.6 engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread