SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Astra-nomical: Road Tripping in New Brunswick with a Saturn Astra

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Astra-nomical: Road Tripping in New Brunswick with a Saturn Astra

Quote:
Jamie Hunter from Driven: I couldn't have asked for a better car to experience a New Brunswick road trip. The vehicle's modern looks kept us cool in the city; its comfortable interior and smooth ride had us content on the open road; and it enabled us to check out some of eastern Canada's famous landmarks and attractions.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Astra-nomical: Road Tripping in New Brunswick with a Saturn Astra

It would be cool if Saturn did a coast to coast US drive in the Astra. The car really is a driver's car.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Germane German
Germane German is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 VUE 3.5L

I liked the article and I'm jealous of their trip and activities but why oh why did they do white print on a black background? Hint: if you highlight the article you can read blue on white.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Germane German's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Germane German reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Germane German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
KevSC1
Advanced Member
KevSC1 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
1995 SC1

Dad and I just finished a 2000 mile road trip in my Astra, and have no complaints. We had everything from sunny Florida skies to 3" of snow, and the car was a champ throughout.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevSC1 View Post
Dad and I just finished a 2000 mile road trip in my Astra, and have no complaints. We had everything from sunny Florida skies to 3" of snow, and the car was a champ throughout.
Cool. Any pics?

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
KevSC1
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR
1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Cool. Any pics?

we went to Daytona for the Rolex 24.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9663416...7612831322565/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KevSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
silver_star
silver_star is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevSC1 View Post
Glad you had a great trip. How did the car perform on the highway? I hear it's quite the high-revver when going 60+ mph. I am buying the manual transmission but I read somewhere that the manual transmission is actually higher on the highway than the automatic....thought it should have been the other way around...I am waiting for mine to be shipped (live in Canada), so I'm actually quite anxious that I'm going to hate this little car on the highway because of an unneccesarily high revving engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silver_star's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silver_star reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silver_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
KevSC1
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR
1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_star View Post
Glad you had a great trip. How did the car perform on the highway? I hear it's quite the high-revver when going 60+ mph. I am buying the manual transmission but I read somewhere that the manual transmission is actually higher on the highway than the automatic....
The car was fantastic, even in 6" of driving snow. (yes, I know I said 3" earlier - that was when we got home. the 6" was in KY)

The engine turns just under 3k around 60, which is about the same as the old S-series twin cams (I'm talking about the manuals - I won't own an automatic until I have to). It isn't unpleasantly loud, and is in a nice part of the power band to make passing easier. We had to cross the Smokey Mountains, and the car did it all in 5th gear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

I can contest to the Astra being amazing on the highway. I did a 600 mile trip to Florida - averaged about 75mph on the highway, topping out at 80mph on some stretches. I think the engine was running near 4000 rpm around the 80mph mark, but it wasn't too loud or irritating. My wife and I were able to keep up normal conversation without any trouble. I think I was running about 29.6 mpg going at 80mph.

I've also done the opposite - mountains. I did a trip across the Blue Ridge Mountains back in 2008 after I bought the Astra. Some roads were so steep that I was running them in 2nd or 3rd gear. The car handled beautifully around the corners too. I was passing people left and right.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Larry_va
Larry_va is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I've taken mine to New Jersey about 325 miles each way. Ran great on the turnpike which if you know you have to drive about 90MPH or you'll get run over. I also drove my daughter and her friend to Charlotte N.C. for a car show. They slept the whole way there. We had pleny of room for all our bags in the hatch area.
I love driving my Astra on the road. Most of my days are driving around city streets making deliveries so twhen I get it on the Hwy I like to roll.
Also the Onstar was awesome helping me get around in cities I wasn't familiar with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry_va's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry_va reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I got back from a 4400 mile trip to Seattle and San Francisco a few weeks ago, taking mostly two-lane roads through Moab, SLC, and the Bitterroots on the way up, and weather ranging from snow in the Cascades to 100+ degrees in the desert.

Could not have had a better experience with the car.

The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
silver_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
I can contest to the Astra being amazing on the highway. I did a 600 mile trip to Florida - averaged about 75mph on the highway, topping out at 80mph on some stretches. I think the engine was running near 4000 rpm around the 80mph mark, but it wasn't too loud or irritating. My wife and I were able to keep up normal conversation without any trouble. I think I was running about 29.6 mpg going at 80mph.

I've also done the opposite - mountains. I did a trip across the Blue Ridge Mountains back in 2008 after I bought the Astra. Some roads were so steep that I was running them in 2nd or 3rd gear. The car handled beautifully around the corners too. I was passing people left and right.
So your engine didn't sound like it was going to give out at 4,000 rpm? KevSC1 (a few threads above) said his was great at about 3,000 rpm. I rented a Toyota Yaris today that runs about 2,500rpm on the highway with the automatic, and I could hear tire noise and wind noise like you wouldn't believe. Just hoping the Astra will not deafen me when I'm on the freeway. All the professional reviews make a point about the lack of power, but it doesn't seem to be as big of a problem with the 'normal people' reviews....hm..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silver_star reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
silver_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L200Pilot View Post
I got back from a 4400 mile trip to Seattle and San Francisco a few weeks ago, taking mostly two-lane roads through Moab, SLC, and the Bitterroots on the way up, and weather ranging from snow in the Cascades to 100+ degrees in the desert.

Could not have had a better experience with the car.
Wow, 100,000 mi on your 2008!? Do you end up driving all day? haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So your engine didn't sound like it was going to give out at 4,000 rpm? KevSC1 (a few threads above) said his was great at about 3,000 rpm. I rented a Toyota Yaris today that runs about 2,500rpm on the highway with the automatic, and I could hear tire noise and wind noise like you wouldn't believe. Just hoping the Astra will not deafen me when I'm on the freeway. All the professional reviews make a point about the lack of power, but it doesn't seem to be as big of a problem with the 'normal people' reviews....hm..
Let me remind you that most testers test automatic astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
silver_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by darek_dade View Post
Let me remind you that most testers test automatic astra.
Yea true, and most say they would hands-down buy the manual. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why the automatic has a more acceptable rev on the highway 2500rpm vs. the 3000 rpm for the manual. I've posted a few other times about that so won't get into it here..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
darek_dade

Quote:
Yea true, and most say they would hands-down buy the manual. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why the automatic has a more acceptable rev on the highway 2500rpm vs. the 3000 rpm for the manual. I've posted a few other times about that so won't get into it here..
High revs are not a big deal. Yesterday I was driving for an hour with cc set just below 150 km/h with revs around 4500 and that wasn't extremely loud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
silver_star

Quote:
High revs are not a big deal. Yesterday I was driving for an hour with cc set just below 150 km/h with revs around 4500 and that wasn't extremely loud.
That with the manual or automatic?
And where were you able to cruise for 1 hour at 150km/h without getting a huge ticket?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
darek_dade

Quote:
That with the manual or automatic?
And where were you able to cruise for 1 hour at 150km/h without getting a huge ticket?!
Manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
silver_star

Quote:
Manual.
Great, thanks I'll try to keep it a bit lower than 150 Can't afford the fuel and the tickets that generates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Yeah, 4000 rpm sounded fine. It seems scary at first to run at that pace for hours on end, but it takes it with no problem. Just keep in mind that you still have over 2000 rpms to go until you red line it. Using 2/3rds of the spectrum shouldn't be a problem.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote