SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
loyalsales
loyalsales is on a distinguished road

Default Just talked to Saturn sales consultants, Not Good!

Just talked to a couple of saturn sales consultants. They are trying their best to sell the new products at cost, and there still isn't many takers. They have been contacting previous Saturn customers about the great deals and they aren't biting. Too much bad press and too much of a chance of closing for people buying the soon to be extinct product. It would be like taking a chance and buying a stock of a company, in which you knew bankruptcy was a large possibility. Why would someone buy and Aura, when you can get a Malibu, in which you know will be around. Astra wasn't selling anyway. The VUE is a great product, better than its GM peers, but again if the name Saturn is not around, who wants something like what they used to call an "Oldsmobile". I am a Saturn patriot, who has turned sour at Saturn management who thought they were helping, but actually ended up screwing Saturn. Should of stayed with polymer, kept building in Tennessee, should of kept the team approach, which was admired by all companies, and added more products in the late 90's instead of losing customers, plus the ION had way too many warranty issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loyalsales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loyalsales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loyalsales is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Just talked to Saturn sales consultants, Not Good!

All car salespeople will say this now
Nothing to do with Saturn, even the Toyota people are sitting on their hands.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Happening all over the world; not just Saturn or the US.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/g...ture=341883529

"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

they do need to either say saturn is done or they are not donw. too much in limbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

I don't think Saturn ever adequately tested their "innovative" engineering before offering it to the public.
Case in point: all '00 1.9L S2 series engines had a new intake gasket for the plastic intake manifold. They eventually all leaked coolant.
Case in point: The 2.2L early Ecotec engines in the L and Vue had a timing chain lubrication hole that was too small. If the oil was overheated, varnish could block this small hole leading to timing chain failures.
Case in point: the 3L V6 engines produced by Vauxhall for the L series and early Vues had leaking water pumps and failed intake manifold gaskets.
Case in point: The VTi. That doesn't even need explanation.
I'm sure there's many more that I have overlooked. Saturn's innovative engineering was beta tested by early buyers. My mother bought an end of production '07 Ion3. Great car, not one engineering or manufacturing problem. All the bugs had been worked out by year 5 of production.
If Saturn had stuck to polymer, solid engineering and testing, and cheap reliable cars, they'd still be viable. After polymer was gone so was I.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
After polymer was gone so was I.
You can point to sooooooooo many mistakes the AWFUL GM MANAGEMENT made, but the single worst was saying "Were done with Saturn", and then trying to take it back, backpedaling and 'discussions with the dealers'.

Its really doesn't mean an effing thing, because even if they meant it, the DAMAGE IS DONE. You can't take stuff like that back. An all ready reeling consumer isn't going to risk his money, resale, service, or warranty on the words of a bunch of fools in detroit.

And that's all they are...fools. Pathetic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I know I should not say this because it really doesn't matter...
but what the heck is going on lately with people writing "should of" instead of "should have"? It's like an epidemic, it's spreading like crazy. Its and it's...alright whatever....but please no should of

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
loyalsales

"Damage is done", that says it all. Once RW said, "GM will focus on 4 brands and saturn will be sold or closing", who would go into a Saturn store if you had half of brain. Unless, someone was to buy a car and drive it into the ground, for whatever deal you might be getting now, you'll just lose it on trade in time or when you sell. What is an Olds worth now or a Daewoo? very little.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help loyalsales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalsales View Post
"Damage is done", that says it all. Once RW said, "GM will focus on 4 brands and saturn will be sold or closing", who would go into a Saturn store if you had half of brain. Unless, someone was to buy a car and drive it into the ground, for whatever deal you might be getting now, you'll just lose it on trade in time or when you sell. What is an Olds worth now or a Daewoo? very little.
Saturn will likely sell off as much inventory as they can and get wound down. Who's going to buy a brand with no production capacity or be reliant on the keystone cops at GM for production? Nobody. Game over. People can "what if" all they want, but that's the most likely outcome. So the true masochists can line up at the fire sale. Good luck with that.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I don't think Saturn ever adequately tested their "innovative" engineering before offering it to the public.
It's tough to test everything to the Nth degree. Eventually you have to release product. Even consumer electronics have problems (think XBox 360) and those are simpler than cars

Quote:
My mother bought an end of production '07 Ion3. Great car, not one engineering or manufacturing problem. All the bugs had been worked out by year 5 of production.
Give it a chance, it's early yet

Quote:
After polymer was gone so was I.
The new cars are a lot nicer than the old ones. I'd be much more likely to buy a Saturn now if I had enough money and needed a car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Saturn will likely sell off as much inventory as they can and get wound down. Who's going to buy a brand with no production capacity or be reliant on the keystone cops at GM for production? Nobody. Game over. People can "what if" all they want, but that's the most likely outcome. So the true masochists can line up at the fire sale. Good luck with that.

Cheers,
Hopefully they'll move Cadillac into the defunct Saturn dealers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Saturn as a brand died when they went away from Poly and no longer building in a seperate facility. Saturn has become a clone division (Except for the Astra which dosen't seen to be selling well) that was no longer needed but could not be eliminated due to state franchising laws that make eliminating a brand expensive (Eliminatng Olds cost billions!). Except for the Astra) another GM divsion makes basically the same model as Saturn does. The L and the ION were disappointments and were soon eliminated but GM could have put out a better product using the poly.

If they tested the product better maybe the VTi or the breaking timing chains on the 2.2 engines wouldn't have caused customer grief and eventual lawsuits.

Even if Saturn survives now what will happen to GM (or Saturn) when the goverment handouts end?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksLS1 View Post
Saturn as a brand died when they went away from Poly and no longer building in a seperate facility.
Yep.

Quote:
Even if Saturn survives now what will happen to GM (or Saturn) when the goverment handouts end?
Well, assuming they make it out of this alive, and the customers come back, they will back into that slow death spiral they were in. I really don't care for the company or the execs, they deserve the fate they have. The workers(saleried and hourly), the loss of tax revenue, the loss of those skills, jobs and industry, and of course the eventual wealth transfer from having to purchase the vehicle from abroad bother me. That's mortgaging your future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
All car salespeople will say this now
Nothing to do with Saturn, even the Toyota people are sitting on their hands.

Toyota's are not being pushed off the plank like Saturn. Sales are down but people still feel that they can bring there $25k investment back to toyota dealer if needed

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just talked to a couple of saturn sales consultants. They are trying their best to sell the new products at cost, and there still isn't many takers. They have been contacting previous Saturn customers about the great deals and they aren't biting. Too much bad press and too much of a chance of closing for people buying the soon to be extinct product. It would be like taking a chance and buying a stock of a company, in which you knew bankruptcy was a large possibility. Why would someone buy and Aura, when you can get a Malibu, in which you know will be around. Astra wasn't selling anyway. The VUE is a great product, better than its GM peers, but again if the name Saturn is not around, who wants something like what they used to call an "Oldsmobile". I am a Saturn patriot, who has turned sour at Saturn management who thought they were helping, but actually ended up screwing Saturn. Should of stayed with polymer, kept building in Tennessee, should of kept the team approach, which was admired by all companies, and added more products in the late 90's instead of losing customers, plus the ION had way too many warranty issues.
Well,

I am a Sales Consultant and have been one since August, 2001. Yes, things have been slow. Yes, customers have been nervous. Yes, I think about the future and what is going to be.

Then, I look around me at everything that is happening with the economy, GM and Wall Street. I know that aLL of them are going to come back.

The reasons you state are valid BUT to a point. IF Saturn was selling 500,000 plus vehicles a year, guess what? Polymer would probably still be here. The unique union agreement would probably still be here. Spring Hill would still be SATURN's Home.

Like any company, if you don't sell your product, things will change!!

I keep reading on this forum and other blogs, all pointing the finger at the "reason" Saturn is (in their words) on the ropes.

Well, this is a GREAT time for Saturn. Why? Because of the unique Retail Agreement, the cost would BE Big $$$$$$$$ for GM to try and end Saturn. Why are we NOT hearing much from GM? Well, by saying that Saturn may be sold, closed, mothballed, etc. the Regular Divisions in GM are happy. If GM said that they were keeping Saturn and getting rid of "Chevy", there would be a Civil War.

This is what I think makes the MOST sense based on everything that I have read and the things that I have overheard.

Saturn will be purchased by the Retail Franchises. They will then be rid of the manufacturing restrictions IMO, they will become like Sears. Saturn will ask for bids to make the cars that Saturn wants. They will have a Team that would loversee the quality items from the suppliers. They will negotiate with the company/companies that want to build the NEW Saturns.

They will have the vehicles that their customers want. Won't see a million "AWD" vehicles that may sit on a given lot.

Hope some of this makes sense as I am working on a cold and have had ONLY a few hours sleep.

Al

Al ClapDaddy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ClapDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
loyalsales

If millions of dollars were staring me in the face for a dealer buyout, why would so many retailers let their franchise go. Why not just downsize and wait for the large buyout. If GM bankrupts the Saturn brand there will be no dealer buyouts, Clapdaddy, you should be looking for another sales job, I left and I was loyal for 14 years. Don't let them fool you, leave before your customers do. My lease retention was around 70%, before I left it was way lower. People hated the Ion in the cold climate and the Astra was not what they were looking for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just talked to a couple of saturn sales consultants. They are trying their best to sell the new products at cost, and there still isn't many takers.
You should be in mid-Tennessee, where things are awesome: link to thread

Quote:
Thanks fellas . Actually the economy hasn't really affected the cars sells like the news tells you it has . We stay packed all day everyday . I work from 8am till 9pm 6 days . We average about 8-15 cars a day . The owner says that is same as before the so called ressesion we are in . SO no change , I got a kid finaced yesterday 1 year on job , $1000 down and $220 a month with %10 interest with no credit on a new $17,000 car . So seems to me like it is actually easier to buy a car now than 1 year ago .
Never sold cars before , but I have found out the money is great , so I will prob stay there , In 3 days made almost $3,000 just in Commission not including the bonus from Suzuki or my timeclock pay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClapDaddy View Post
Well,

I am a Sales Consultant and have been one since August, 2001. Yes, things have been slow. Yes, customers have been nervous. Yes, I think about the future and what is going to be.

Then, I look around me at everything that is happening with the economy, GM and Wall Street. I know that aLL of them are going to come back.

The reasons you state are valid BUT to a point. IF Saturn was selling 500,000 plus vehicles a year, guess what? Polymer would probably still be here. The unique union agreement would probably still be here. Spring Hill would still be SATURN's Home.

Like any company, if you don't sell your product, things will change!!

I keep reading on this forum and other blogs, all pointing the finger at the "reason" Saturn is (in their words) on the ropes.

Well, this is a GREAT time for Saturn. Why? Because of the unique Retail Agreement, the cost would BE Big $$$$$$$$ for GM to try and end Saturn. Why are we NOT hearing much from GM? Well, by saying that Saturn may be sold, closed, mothballed, etc. the Regular Divisions in GM are happy. If GM said that they were keeping Saturn and getting rid of "Chevy", there would be a Civil War.

This is what I think makes the MOST sense based on everything that I have read and the things that I have overheard.

Saturn will be purchased by the Retail Franchises. They will then be rid of the manufacturing restrictions IMO, they will become like Sears. Saturn will ask for bids to make the cars that Saturn wants. They will have a Team that would loversee the quality items from the suppliers. They will negotiate with the company/companies that want to build the NEW Saturns.

They will have the vehicles that their customers want. Won't see a million "AWD" vehicles that may sit on a given lot.

Hope some of this makes sense as I am working on a cold and have had ONLY a few hours sleep.

Al
Al,

You and I have (virtually) known each other for more than 10 years. While I respect your opinion, I don't share your enthusiasm. The "dealers buying the brand" just isn't feasible. I think the far more likely outcome is that GM eventually files for bankruptcy protection...after blowing through a lot of taxpayer money. That will allow it to effectively treat the franchise holders as creditors, allowing the company to shed Saturn (and any other brands it doesn't feel it wants) at a substantially reduced cost. This is purely a business decision. The company is bleeding cash BADLY and the prudent choice is to shed the divisions that are persistently in the red. Saturn has never made a profit. We could go round and round about why that is, but that's the bottom line. While I don't take any joy in that outcome, that is how I see things playing out. But maybe Jill gives extra insight to folks who have bought a few dozen.

Best of luck to you, regardless of how things work out.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClapDaddy View Post
Well,

Learn about Kia, that's where Saturn's old customers are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #20
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Learn about Kia, that's where Saturn's old customers are.
That's Laughable. I wouldn't touch Kia with a 10 foot pole, even if I DIDN'T have my Saturns still.

Care to show some proof that prior Saturn owners are now Kia Owners?

I don't believe that for one minute.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote