SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Smitty
Smitty is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Dizzy 2003 Vue ABS light and more

Hello all. Love the site, long time reader, finally decided to post

I can't find this one on the forums, I assume it hasn't happened much...

I have a 2003 2WD Vue. It has had a laundry list of problems, latest of which is the VTI.

Got the car back from Saturn after they replaced almost everything of the trans (list is at home, but I know they didn't just give me a complete new one). Well that night and for a day or so after, the car stalled a few times. This occurred at random times and stopped happening before I could establish a pattern. My mechanic had the car for days too and could not duplicate it.

So this seems to solve itself, except I just know something isn't quite right.

Sure enough, last week when the temps dropped to single digits we experienced more. I don't know if the cold had anything to do with it or not, but now the ABS light comes on. But it doesn't just come on normally.

I'll start accelerating down the road and all of a sudden I get no response. She literally does NOTHING when I hit the gas. This goes for a couple seconds and then will start to drive again. Then almost instantly, it happens for a second time. THEN the ABS light comes on and the car drives just fine until I park it and turn it off.

When I say nothing, I mean there is not any rev in the motor, no RPMs. It's as if the car stalled, but didn't.

When the ABS comes on, it is very hard to get the ABS to kick in, and then only does so faintly.

I'm trying to recall the traction control, I think that light flickered on and off when this occurs but cannot remember.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I really would rather not have to take it in to the dealer that serviced my trans. I don't trust them. So if this is non trans related, I will go to a dealer further away. I'd rather do this myself if possible, but I am thinking that it may not be possible.

Thanks,
Smitty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smitty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smitty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Vue ABS light and more

I can't help but be a 'cranky' ( ) person so here goes; does the tach drop to zero when this 'anomalie' occurs? I'm throwing this out - the crank position sensor (CPS) as a possibility, in the middle of engine ops as this can fail at any time but hasn't been reported as clearly as you've described it. Something to think about because (hypothetically) if it can fail, it can resume operating as quickly as it failed. The one possible hint is the lack of rpm's indicated on the tach one moment and then a tach reading the next. If the engine dies it won't stop dead but begin dragging down the transmission that's still connected to the wheels. There should almost be a different sound when it occurs if the engine isn't powered and very brief, as brief as this strangeness comes and goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote