SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
rjbhunt
rjbhunt is on a distinguished road

Default Steering Column Noise

My wife has a 2007 Outlook that has developed a rubbing noise in the steering column whenever you turn the wheel. We've had it back to the dealer, who claims that its a boot in the column causing the noise and that Saturn is aware of the problem and is trying to find a solution. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rjbhunt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rjbhunt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rjbhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Steering Column Noise

Yup. It happens in the VUEs also. You need to lube the boot.

I used a DuPont product (multiuse Teflon Spray). I put the end of the little red straw in the boot and gave it a good soaking.

Don't use WD-40.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Ed Suski
Ed Suski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbhunt View Post
My wife has a 2007 Outlook that has developed a rubbing noise in the steering column whenever you turn the wheel. We've had it back to the dealer, who claims that its a boot in the column causing the noise and that Saturn is aware of the problem and is trying to find a solution. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Same issue. Does any one have a TSB#? Dealer keeps doing the fluid fix - when this noise is in the stearing column - not the pump. Three visits so far.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ed Suski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ed Suski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ed Suski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Ed Suski

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTchemist View Post
Yup. It happens in the VUEs also. You need to lube the boot.

I used a DuPont product (multiuse Teflon Spray). I put the end of the little red straw in the boot and gave it a good soaking.

Don't use WD-40.
The Dealer (who is being quite cooperative after the 4th and 5th visits) has removed air from power steering fluid and over filled (twice) tried lubricating parts, replaced the steering column itself, replaced the Clock spring (twice) and eventually removed it as well as the boot and plastic housing for a test drive and the problem persists. It seems to happen only when the wheel is turned more than approximately 90 degrees and only after 25-30 minutes of driving. The sound "seems" to be coming from the steering column and not the pump - but it may be difficult to tell if it is being carried from somewhere else over the steering column to the cabin????

Does anyone have any ideas? The dealer is giving the car back to us, unable to fix the problem. I think they plan to contact Saturn Engineering but what else should I do? The warranty is almost up on the vehicle.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ed Suski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Ed Suski

Update:

Dealer claims to have contacted Saturn Engineering and reports that they are aware of the issue but unable to offer a fix at this time.

Looks like a dead end. Any suggestions? Warranty is almost out.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

Glad to finally "hear" someone else having this problem. I made the mistake of going back to Saturn of Gaithersburg to have this looked at. After having the car for a full day, I was told they didn't hear any rubbing/squeaking noise in the steering column. Of course as soon as I got in the car and turned the wheel I could hear the squeaking. All the techs were gone for the evening so I couldn't drag anyone to the car to hear the noise.

I have had this vehicle for over 2 years now and it still seems that there are issues and Saturn service doesn't have a clue.

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to morpheus2969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
Ed Suski

On my vehicle it takes 25 - 30 minutes of warm-up before you can hear the noise. The dealer claims that Saturn Engineering is aware of the issue but they have no fix at this time.

Remember - the dealer pulled a vacuum on the fluid twice, over filled the fluid twice, lubricated everything they could find touching the steering column, replaced the plastic cover just below the steering wheel, replaced the clock spring twice and eventually replaced the steering column - all the while paying for a rental car. Imagine how much this cost Saturn to only discover that Saturn Engineering was aware of the problem but had no fix.

Is it any wonder that the car companies are having trouble?

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
james
james is on a distinguished road

Ed,
Do you know if this is an issue on '09 Outlooks? How many miles were on yours when you first noticed it?

'09 Outloook XE FWD - Midnight Blue
'00 Camaro Z28

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to james's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help james reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Ed Suski

Not at all sure about 09's. However, if Saturn Engineering does not know how to fix it - that might suggest they have not fixed it in newer models. The vehicle has about 30K on it now and I'm not sure when the noise was first noticed but I would guess around 18K or so. It is not too annoying and seems to not be a safety issue, It is just a shame to not be able to fix it on such a nice vehicle.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Outlooker
Outlooker is on a distinguished road

Another 2007 Outlook steering issue here. Same issue indeed. Almost out of warranty and I'm going to say it started at about 33K. Took it in once and they just put lube steering on the workorder and it fixed nothing. I have had many issues with this vehicle and still have a few that the car has had for 2 years since new. For all the rah rah about how great Saturn service is all I can figure is the OLD saturns were good but the new ( GM ) Saturns are crap. Since I've been to the dealership dozens of times in the last two years standing around talking to people getting service that the folks with the older saturns from the 90's are way more satisfied with the quality of their cars than the newer ones that lucky folks like myself have. Having to take the vehicle back several times for the same problem because either they don't know how to fix it or fix it improperly. My favorite line on the workorder is "UNABLE TO DUPLICATE" Sound familiar? I can tell you I would never buy another one of these vehicles. If the measure of a brand is the heavily touted service department Saturn is doomed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlooker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlooker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlooker View Post
Another 2007 Outlook steering issue here. Same issue indeed. Almost out of warranty and I'm going to say it started at about 33K. Took it in once and they just put lube steering on the workorder and it fixed nothing. I have had many issues with this vehicle and still have a few that the car has had for 2 years since new. For all the rah rah about how great Saturn service is all I can figure is the OLD saturns were good but the new ( GM ) Saturns are crap. Since I've been to the dealership dozens of times in the last two years standing around talking to people getting service that the folks with the older saturns from the 90's are way more satisfied with the quality of their cars than the newer ones that lucky folks like myself have. Having to take the vehicle back several times for the same problem because either they don't know how to fix it or fix it improperly. My favorite line on the workorder is "UNABLE TO DUPLICATE" Sound familiar? I can tell you I would never buy another one of these vehicles. If the measure of a brand is the heavily touted service department Saturn is doomed.
Here, Here!

That's been my experience as well. This is my first and last Saturn. I may not buy another GM vehicle after this experience. It just seems as though, with the new models, the service department has absolutely no clue. My issues have been well documented on this forum. Its a shame because, on paper, this vehicle was exactly what I was looking for. The sluggish transmission and the myriad of shakes and rattles due to having the interior of the car taken apart (and broken) over and over again just piss me off. What's worse, this vehicle that cost me nearly $40K is now worth $19.8K. Awesome!

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to morpheus2969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Outlooker
Outlooker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2969 View Post
Here, Here!

That's been my experience as well. This is my first and last Saturn. I may not buy another GM vehicle after this experience. It just seems as though, with the new models, the service department has absolutely no clue. My issues have been well documented on this forum. Its a shame because, on paper, this vehicle was exactly what I was looking for. The sluggish transmission and the myriad of shakes and rattles due to having the interior of the car taken apart (and broken) over and over again just piss me off. What's worse, this vehicle that cost me nearly $40K is now worth $19.8K. Awesome!
It's amazing that our stories are almost identical based on what has been posted so far. My vehicle was great on paper and exactly what I was looking for too. I thought I was smart and had done all the research. Then the nightmare began. I guess that new model thing didn't help. Oh, they'll keep taking it back... write some nonsense on the workorder and give it back either not fixed or not fixed AND break something else that you have to take it back for again on top of the original problem. The end result is they wear you down. Not unlike most folks out there, I'm a professional with a career. I have to be somewhere in the morning and work so many hours to get paid and make ends meet. The dozens of hours spent at the dealership and at car rental places hurts the wallet even though the vehicle is under warrenty because your NOT working. I had my first service guy tell me to turn up the radio when I had a rattle noise. I had my second service guy tell me "yea they do that" in regards to the steering wheel issue. Huh? and agreed, for a nearly 40K vehicle you should be told this? It's good to know GM got all that stimulus money to prop the company up. Not that it will help the consumers at all. Cash for clunkers? Here's the deal with GM... you give them your clunker and they sell you theirs. Nothing like venting..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlooker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlooker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
tpd9
tpd9 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

its the seal in the steering rack. replaced it and noise is gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tpd9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tpd9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tpd9 is offline   Reply With Quote