SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
spartygal
spartygal is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Dizzy radio code for Saturn ION

Ugh! I know this was the topic of a thread a little while ago, but since it's my current issue, I'll post anyway.
Changed the battery in my 2003 Saturn ION, now radio is locked. I've had nothing but headaches trying to get Saturn to help me. Most common response from Saturn is to bring the car in and they'll charge me XX bucks to get the code. One service guy was willing to give me the code over the phone, but the code didn't work. Turns out he was unaware that the process is different for model years 2000+ (like the ION). A stop-in to another Saturn dealer resulted in me waiting, with no resolution in the end.
Can anyone out there take pity on an honest Saturn owner with no tunes? I'd really like to know how I can get this code without having to pay like $100!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spartygal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spartygal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spartygal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: radio code for Saturn ION

There should be a procedure in your owner's manual for this. If you never put a personal code in the radio, then it should be in its factory default setting. Maybe 0000, 9999, 1234 unless this was bought used with the previous owner using his/her personal pin number? Then it would make it harder but not impossible. I think there's another way; something about leaving the radio ON for over a 1/2 to 1-hour when the display will indicate a clue for resetting? Its been posted as I've seen you reading and posting in an old thread.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
spartygal

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Ack! I've been able to get the scrambled code of 1606, but so far, my calls and even a stop-in visit to a Saturn dealer have left me with nothing but a request to leave my car with the service dept. for the day and pay $100 to get it unlocked. I'm extremely frustrated. If anyone can help me out, please message me -- I'd really appreciate it! Again, this is a 2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spartygal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
spartygal

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Issue resolved...but not without some frustration!

After stopping in to a second Saturn dealer, I found a service rep. who was very willing to help me. Unfortunately, the code she tracked down for me using my scrambled code and VIN# was the same one that had been given to me over the phone earlier in the week, and didn't work when entered. It was apparent in speaking with this service rep. that she did not understand that the procedure for obtaining and entering radio codes for model year 2000+ Saturns is different, even after explaining this to her more than once.

Eventually, the service rep. consulted another person at the dealership as a "last-ditch effort" and came to us with 2 codes to try. Using the procedure explained in the "How-To Library" on this site, we entered Code #1 -- didn't work. However, Code #2 did. Not even sure how the guy at Saturn came up with these 2 codes, but anyway, I was just happy to have the radio code for my vehicle and a working radio again! Needless to say, the code was written down and stored in a safe place, so I never have to go through this nightmare again!

I guess my take-away message here is to be persistent and informed with the folks at the dealership, but keep your cool. We left a thank-you voice mail for the rep. that helped us out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Gee thats to bad ... Is the radio stolen? I have never heard of a SATURN dealer charging to reset a radio code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
spartygal

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

My vehicle was previously leased by one person, thus I am the second person to have possession of the vehicle; however, this is a standard factory-installed radio. I'm not sure why the dealership would feel compelled to charge a Saturn owner for this service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

in the 90s and some gm cars of the early 2000s you put a code in the radio for anti theft. im sure the ion, and please excuse me if im wrong, isnt the system where you put a code in it. it is set from the factory to know the vin number of the car it is in. id bet if something qwent wrong youd would have to bring it in for them to fix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
ctbosox
ctbosox is on a distinguished road

Well, I had to go look in my manual to know what was going on, it said "if" your radio had this option you could set the code. both our ions were bought new, never knew about this feature, not sure if we have it on the cars, anyway, book states that if you forget your code, a saturn dealer is autherized to obtain the factory set code for your radio and to reset it, I guess, if they do it for you, they are going to charge for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ctbosox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ctbosox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ctbosox is offline   Reply With Quote