SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
gpartrid
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default How to Extend Remote Start Running Time

Hello All,

I'd like to know how to extend the RS running time to 20 minutes without having having to activate the RS feature after the initial RS standard time of 10 minutes. I got the impression by reading some things in certain threads that it's possible to activated the RS for 20 minutes. Have tried playing with the RS and checked the manual for the "how to" but I'm either overlooking it, I'm not doing it correctly or it's not possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

Last edited by gpartrid; 01-16-2009 at 08:09 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: How to Extend Remote Start Running Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
Hello All,

I'd like to know how to extend the RS running time to 20 minutes without having having to activate the RS feature after the initial RS standard time of 10 minutes. I got the impression by reading some things in certain threads that it's possible to activated the RS for 20 minutes. Have tried playing with the RS and checked the manual for the "how to" but I'm either overlooking it, I'm not doing it correctly or it's not possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I think the 20 minutes people mean is by starting it twice. Have not heard of anyone on 5 forums talk about making the time 20 continuous minutes.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
I think the 20 minutes people mean is by starting it twice. Have not heard of anyone on 5 forums talk about making the time 20 continuous minutes.
+1 - TMK it's not possible.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

sorry to steal your thread, but i just noticed bc3Tech's avatar, That BAyby is PIMP lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

If you REALLY want your car to run for 20 minutes rather than 10, either remote start it a second time or just run outside and put the KEY in the IGNITION and START IT. Then go back inside for 20 minutes. lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

It seems that, if you press the remote start sequence again, your car will flash again, while running, time will be extended another 10 minutes.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
gpartrid

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
It seems that, if you press the remote start sequence again, your car will flash again, while running, time will be extended another 10 minutes.
That's what I thought I had read somewhere but I've tried it a couple of times and it didn't seem to work. I did see the lights flash while the engine was running via RS but, although I didn't time it, it didn't seem as though the engine ran for 20 min. Then again, forever is no time at all and nothing is everything...

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

I thought 10 minutes to be long enough for remote start. Really what need is there for longer? It's there so if you forget it's running.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
gpartrid

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
I thought 10 minutes to be long enough for remote start. Really what need is there for longer? It's there so if you forget it's running.
My car sits outside in the driveway. I need to run it a little longer when heavy windshield frost or ice are present. Just thought I had picked up that it was possible to extend the RS through a few button pushes to run for 10+ minutes while I'm getting ready in the morning. (bunch of comedians)

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've never had to run my car ('03 L300) over 10-minutes with the defroster on to melt ice. The one time we had an overnight icing with solid ice (wipers frozen in place), I used my remote start to get a leg up on the windshield heating while I brushed off the rest of the car. By the time I finished the side windows I could see the ice melting and with a few strokes from a brass edged ice scraper, the ice broke up quickly. All I did was preset the auto climate control to max heat the day before (in anticipation), remote started while putting on my shoes, got into the car in a minute and inserted the ignition key, pressed the front/rear defrost buttons to ON, and proceeded to clean off the roof and side windows, leaving the front and rear last to allow the defrosters time to warm up the glass. It works for me. And I have an aftermarket remote start with capabilities to increase remote start time, just never needed to. I'm not wasting fuel. A cup of coffee to warm me up and I'm good for about 10-minutes in the cold to scrape the windows so I expect my car to be better at warm-ups than I am in the morning.

Perhaps modifying your routine may help to maximize heat for defrost. I manually set the fan speed to medium so as not to cool off the heater prematurely. By the time the car is cleaned, I'm cold and the car is warmed up enough to start defrosting me on my drive to work.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I've never had to run my car ('03 L300) over 10-minutes with the defroster on to melt ice. The one time we had an overnight icing with solid ice (wipers frozen in place), I used my remote start to get a leg up on the windshield heating while I brushed off the rest of the car. By the time I finished the side windows I could see the ice melting and with a few strokes from a brass edged ice scraper, the ice broke up quickly. All I did was preset the auto climate control to max heat the day before (in anticipation), remote started while putting on my shoes, got into the car in a minute and inserted the ignition key, pressed the front/rear defrost buttons to ON, and proceeded to clean off the roof and side windows, leaving the front and rear last to allow the defrosters time to warm up the glass. It works for me. And I have an aftermarket remote start with capabilities to increase remote start time, just never needed to. I'm not wasting fuel. A cup of coffee to warm me up and I'm good for about 10-minutes in the cold to scrape the windows so I expect my car to be better at warm-ups than I am in the morning.

Perhaps modifying your routine may help to maximize heat for defrost. I manually set the fan speed to medium so as not to cool off the heater prematurely. By the time the car is cleaned, I'm cold and the car is warmed up enough to start defrosting me on my drive to work.
That's me. Use the remote, then go brush my teeth and whatever else . Get outside and brush the car off and ice scrapes easily. All this, I only use the start once and get in before it cuts off. The hard part is remembering to set the defroster the night before. I do like that the rear defroster turns on automatically with the remote start below a certain temperature.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
nekkidhillbilly
nekkidhillbilly is on a distinguished road

it would have to be some programming to extend it anyhow. no magic button.

2004 duramax 2500hd
1966 buick skylark gs
2008 saturn aura xr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nekkidhillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nekkidhillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Happy Re: How to Extend Remote Start Running Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
sorry to steal your thread, but i just noticed bc3Tech's avatar, That BAyby is PIMP lol
lol - thanks, 'tis my son
Quote:
i thought if you hit the remote start button (in a sequence or not) the car was shut off.

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post

i thought if you hit the remote start button (in a sequence or not) the car was shut off.

If you press only the start button, the car will shut off. If you do the start sequence (Press lock, hold start for two seconds) while the car is already running, it should extend the remote start time. You will see the lights flash to confirm.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
If you press only the start button, the car will shut off. If you do the start sequence (Press lock, hold start for two seconds) while the car is already running, it should extend the remote start time. You will see the lights flash to confirm.
sweet. tho i coulda used that when the air temps here were -30 now they're in the +teens so who needs 20 minutes

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
sweet. tho i coulda used that when the air temps here were -30 now they're in the +teens so who needs 20 minutes
Honestly, 10 minutes is just enough to take the initial chill off my car, it needs to run for at least 15 minutes in my opinion. Especially lately, where it has been very cold here too. (Nothing compared to -30 )

Now if there was only a way to turn the heated seats on with the remote start.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

[QUOTE=AuraDrvr89;1385633

Now if there was only a way to turn the heated seats on with the remote start. [/QUOTE]

I said this on a post along time ago - Why couldn't they have put the same system in the Aura like they did my Outlook where they do come on with RS if the temp is below 45.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

WOA bctech was WRONG for once!?!?!? NO WAY!!!!!! lol

+1 AuraDrivr89 =)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #19
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
I said this on a post along time ago - Why couldn't they have put the same system in the Aura like they did my Outlook where they do come on with RS if the temp is below 45.
Or at least it should be a preference, like a programmable feature. That would be nice.

I also think that the remote start duration, rear defrost, and exterior lights during RS should be configurable too.. But A. That's just my opinion, and B. Nothing I do/say will change it so who really cares anyway. haha

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Question Re: How to Extend Remote Start Running Time

Quote:
Or at least it should be a preference, like a programmable feature. That would be nice.

I also think that the remote start duration, rear defrost, and exterior lights during RS should be configurable too.. But A. That's just my opinion, and B. Nothing I do/say will change it so who really cares anyway. haha
anybody know if you can do it w/ the advanced start?

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!