SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
WadeNKC
WadeNKC is on a distinguished road

Question Coil packs on 1998 Saturn SL2. Any body know?

I love this site Good people great and great advise!!
I have a 1998 Saturn sl2 5 speed manual transmission.

First I need to replace the coil packs. My brother in law replaced the ignition module a couple of weeks ago, but still coming up with OBD2 codes (Ie: PO302 and PO300) after replacing the spark plug for cylinder 2 it read the ODB 2 code 300 ( multiple cylinder missfire) anyway, the only other thing to do is replace the coil packs. I am looking to replace the coil packs with "accer" brand. My brother in law says they are the most durable. However I need to know if those brand coil packs are going to "bolt in a stock location" " his words not mine. Also need to know if a need two of these or just one for the entire system?. I do not know how to test the coil pack, so he says its best to replace both. If this doesn't work the next step is a dealership. My bro in law is in Louisiana and i am up here in Kansas City. He is going to walk me through replacing the coil packs on the phone. I do not want to go to a junk yard and pull a coil off of a scrap heap, I am going for maximum durability here! Also I do not have much information on the car, it was giving to me for free (Yaaa!!!) I do not have owners manual but i do have a Haynes repair book. I do know that the car is 4 cylinder single over head cam (? i think) and the vehicle Vin is a 1G8, can anyone tell me more specific info about the car, The Haynes manual just gives a general breakdown and all the cars of Saturn sl2 1998 and I don't know which is which? thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WadeNKC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WadeNKC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WadeNKC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Coil packs on 1998 Saturn SL2. Any body know?

Replacing the coil packs is a piece of cake. In general the aftermarket coil packs fail more often than the OEMs on the S-Series, including aftermarket "performance" coil packs.

As easy as the coil packs are to replace, I'd order an OEM one from saturnparts.net, or pick one up from a local dealership, then swap it out with one of your coil packs. If that doesn't work, you can swap the new one over to the other coil pack location.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

SL2 is a DOHC. What is the eighth digit of the vin?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Replacing the coil packs is a piece of cake. In general the aftermarket coil packs fail more often than the OEMs on the S-Series, including aftermarket "performance" coil packs.
FWIW, I've have a set of aftermarket coil packs go from car to car to car for the past 11 years.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Richpin has a video on replacing as well as cleaning the ignition control moduole. You can find this video in the "How to Library". Much better than information over a telephone line. Sometimes the ignition control moduole looses it's ground due to corrosion and then begins to malfunction. These parts are not cheap. I would do the cleaning first- also a video by Richpin on this topic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
Richpin has a video on replacing as well as cleaning the ignition control moduole. You can find this video in the "How to Library". Much better than information over a telephone line. Sometimes the ignition control moduole looses it's ground due to corrosion and then begins to malfunction. These parts are not cheap. I would do the cleaning first- also a video by Richpin on this topic.
Keep in mind that the ignition control module gets it ground through the four mounting bolts and the wire harness. Not the plate at the bottom that makes contact with the transmisson casing. Thats used as a heatsink.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

No mention of the plug wires being checked or replaced, unless I am going blind. if there was a bad coil you would have a misfire on the mated cylinder as well.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
kevinss2001
kevinss2001 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

i just had the same problem with my 96-same code--my friend a saturn tech told me to replace coil 1--so i started to take it apart and there was some corrosion--i cleaned the bolts and the coils and the module and everything has been working great for 3 weeks now--my car would not start before christmas--i would try that--if you want to replace the coils i would do so with oem coils and change the plugs while you are at it--make sure you clean the bolts though--unless the new ones come with new bolts

by the way the richpin videos are great

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevinss2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevinss2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevinss2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Start by cleaning the module and where it touches the transmission and replacing the hold down bolts. It doesn't take much to corrode them, and there's blue thread sealer on them. Replace all 4 spark plugs with NGK plugs and a medium price set of spark plug wires.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #10
WadeNKC

Idea Re: Coil packs on 1998 Saturn SL2. Any body know?

The eighth digit in the the VIN is an "8".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WadeNKC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

You have a S O H C multiport (8),the dual cam DOHC is (7) in vin.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeNKC View Post
The eighth digit in the the VIN is an "8".
Then your car is not an SL2. What is in the fifth position of the VIN?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
WadeNKC

Question Re: Coil packs on 1998 Saturn SL2. Any body know?

The 5th position is an " F". The people at saturn told me that it was an sl2.
Hum, if its not i am going to have to get my insurance card changed. if its not an sl2 than what is it? maybe just an sl?
any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeNKC View Post
The 5th position is an " F". The people at saturn told me that it was an sl2.
Hum, if its not i am going to have to get my insurance card changed. if its not an sl2 than what is it? maybe just an sl?
any thoughts?
Its an automatic SC1 if its a coupe, a manual SL if its a sedan.

E--SC1 (Man)
F--SC1 (Auto), SL (Man)
G--SC2 (Man), SW1 (Man), SL1 (Man)
H--SC2 (Auto), SW1 (Auto LHD), SL1 (Auto)
J--SW2 (Man), SL2 (Man)
K--SW2 (Auto 93-99), SL2 (Auto)
M--SW1 (Auto RHD)
N--SC1 (Man 3 Dr), SW2 (Auto 2000)
P--SC1 (Auto 3 Dr)
R--SC2 (Man 3 Dr)
Y--SC2 (Auto 3 Dr)

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!