SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
taxplanner
taxplanner is on a distinguished road

Default Frt Wheel bearings done on the car

Anyone have any luck using these type of tools to R&R wheel front bearings?

My AdvancedAuto has this tool as a loaner.

Remove and replace front wheel bearing with the steering knuckle and strut assembly still on the vehicle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45210

Thanks,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taxplanner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taxplanner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taxplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Frt Wheel bearings done on the car

Canyon uses one. The trick is getting the axle out of the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Old95SL2
Old95SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1997 SL1

Not sure about that set, but I would think its worthwhile to just take the knuckle off and press them. I just did both bearings last week and it seemed like they took a lot of force to break the hub and bearing loose on the press. However, I was surprised how simple it was to get everything apart and back together. Good time to check and replace worn tie rods and ball joints too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old95SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old95SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old95SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

That set will push them right out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2

I hate that giant circlip/snapring that has to be removed. I like to have the thing in a vice to do that damn thing.

My Saturn Videos: http://www.youtube.com/dosumpthin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

I use that exact set and it works great. I have used it both on hubs in the vehicle and also the adapters when I put the hub in the press.

As OldNuc pointed out, you need to get the CV shaft out of the way first.

To remove the bearing with the hub in the vehicle you need to use a slide hammer to remove the spindle before pressing out the bearing.

Then remove the snap ring on the inside before pressing out the bearing. Spray it with PB Blaster and clean the snap ring really well before trying to get it out so you don't break it. I eventually purchased a large snap ring pliers but a small screwdriver also works. It is a little bit of a pain doing it with the hub on the vehicle but you can do it.

One thing to make sure is that you choose adapters that are big enough. The first time I went to use it I choose the receiver adapter that was too small. I could not get the bearing to budge. I eventually realized my error and picked the next larger receiver and had the bearing out in 5 minutes.

I have found that spraying a little PB Blaster on it and letting it sit for a little while really helps make the job go easier.

Also, oil the screw of the tool before use and it will work better. Doing it dry just causes excess friction and makes it harder.

You use the tool in reverse to press in the new bearing. Clean the hub where the bearing gets pressed into and put a little grease on the outside of the bearing and on the hub and the new bearing will press right in.

You can use the tool to put the spindle back in. Put a little grease on that also before pressing back in.

Last edited by Canyon; 01-08-2009 at 11:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
hydromech
hydromech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

This procedure looks like a very good idea: the whole job can be done in the garage without taking the hubs to a shop )

To remove the spindle from the hub, do I still have to disconnect lower ball joint and tie rod ?

2000 Saturn SL1, SOHC, Automatic, 170K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hydromech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hydromech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hydromech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydromech View Post
To remove the spindle from the hub, do I still have to disconnect lower ball joint and tie rod ?
You need to temporarily disconnect the lower ball joint to get the CV shaft out. Then put it back in so you can use the slide hammer to get the spindle out. Then remove C clip. Then press out bearing. Press in new bearing. Put C Clip back in. Press in spindle. Disconnect lower all joint. Reinsert CV shaft. Reconnect lower ball joint. Put washer and nut back on CV shaft.

There is of course a special tool you can use to help get the lower ball joint out which of course Harbor Freight sells. Works better than a pickle fork because it does not damage the ball joint boot. Harbor Freight number 99849-1VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99849

If use use a pickle fork, put grease on the fork so it does not damage the boot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
taxplanner

Ouch, what a pain. Ran into trouble, part of the bearing is stuck to the hub.

How do I get half of the bearing off the hub.

Hub is free from the car and no clearance for a wheel puller.

Me thinks my only easy answer is a trip to the junk yard. Sure a torch could help, but me thinks a trip to the junk yard ensures I won't burn myself.

P.S. the bearing pulling tool seems to work but I had to unbolt the top two bolts that are attached to the strut to get the axle free and clear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help taxplanner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2

That is normal and expected for part of the bearings inner race to stay on there when you pull it. First time I did it I fought with grinders, pullers, etc. for hours. The next time I did it I used an air chisel and had it off in 30 seconds. As demonstrated in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKNUMvT16lk

Wear safety gear.

My Saturn Videos: http://www.youtube.com/dosumpthin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
taxplanner

Thanks for the youtube link, too bad I don't own a air compressor, chisel, or even a vise.

Did have fun at the yunk yard, scored a saturn 12 disk cd changer $25 & fog light brackets $5 (no lights). The hub replacement was $10.

Did see a 1990 GEO Storm GSI with a Throttle Body. Was thinking about grabbing for the conversion but wasn't sure that year would fit and the car had no air storkel/air box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!