SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
dabatman99
dabatman99 is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 Saturn SL2 Fuel Filter

Has anyone ever changed their fuel filter? Where is it located on this beast and how hard is it to change. What tools (special or not) will I need? Is the regulator built into these?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dabatman99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dabatman99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dabatman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member
1995sl1sohc is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1993 SL1
Default Re: 1999 Saturn SL2 Fuel Filter

It is bolted to the driver side of the engine compartment under the master cylinder next to the trans, and can be a little bugger to change. No special tools required and I can't recall offhand what size the nuts are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995sl1sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995sl1sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995sl1sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Check the "How to Library" near bottom of the forum classification page. Richpin has done a video about changing a fuel filter. Very easy to follow.
The nice part is that he walks you through the steps on how to depresurize the fuel line so you don't have pessurized gas escaping when the filter line is opened up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabatman99 View Post
Has anyone ever changed their fuel filter? Where is it located on this beast and how hard is it to change. What tools (special or not) will I need? Is the regulator built into these?
Yours is a combination filter/regulator and it is located inside the frame rail on the left side back by the fuel tank. See the How To Library for the video to change this.

If you use anything but the OEM Saturn filter you can expect fuel pressure problems and all of the grief that causes. You can order one from Get Saturn Parts.
http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643

The part number is 21009427

Put the part number in the box and leave the top part alone. Hit search and you will be there.

The filter/regulator is recommended for service at 100,000 miles and will function past that mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
dabatman99

So it's not under the master cylinder then? Is it a big job?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dabatman99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

No, but its a bit pricey. The first post in the How-To Library has an index and links to the richpin DIY videos. There is a detailed video of the filter change job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
dabatman99

The filter in the video, is that what the SL2 fuel filter will look like? You say you can get over 100,000 miles? The car has about 140,000 miles. Do you think I should leave it alone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The decision to leave it alone is based on the weather and whether you have a heated place to work as it is a not fun place to work in the snow or gravel. Nd those 2 little bolts that hold the plastic bracket tend to break off. So, you have to be prepared for that. the fix is to drill 2 nice new holes in the frame and run in a couple of #14 self drilling sheet metal screws. If you have sharp drill bits this is not a problem. You can also drill out the broken bolts but that is a larger PITA.

Changing the filter is easy.

My thought is that if you are not having any symptoms of fuel pressure of flow problems, leave it alone. The ones I have cut up were perfectly fine and much older and over 160,000 miles.

Buy the Harbor Freight fuel pressure tester for 13.00 and check the fuel pressure. If its OK then save filter/regulator replacement for the day you have nothing else to do. The HF item number is 92699, this is cheaper than the filter/regulator and its the regulator that will eventually fail first, unless you pump your gas out of a dirty tank and there is a filter in every gas pump in these days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
dabatman99

Just bought one! That is a great tool to have as I can use it on other vehicles too. I'll hold off on the filter unless I get a good reason to change it. They're quite expensive ($90 from the site u suggested) and fram filter/regulator is $70.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member
1995sl1sohc is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

Quote:
So it's not under the master cylinder then? Is it a big job?
Nope. Sorry, I think they moved it to where Old Nuc said it is in 1998 so I was a couple years off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995sl1sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995sl1sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995sl1sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Just bought one! That is a great tool to have as I can use it on other vehicles too. I'll hold off on the filter unless I get a good reason to change it. They're quite expensive ($90 from the site u suggested) and fram filter/regulator is $70.00
I have not tried the FRAM copy but if it works as good as the other aftermarket filter/regulators it will just end up adding the purchase price to the price of the OEM you get to buy to fix the problems the FRAM copy caused.

Its 85.00 + the 7.95 to ship it and it comes with the plastic clips and a new hanger bracket. Its a new year and the price went up. That's why the tester is a good idea.

The fuel pressure should be in this range. Key On Engine Off 45-51 psi and if its not then you get to deal with the filter/regulator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995sl1sohc View Post
It is bolted to the driver side of the engine compartment under the master cylinder next to the trans, and can be a little bugger to change. No special tools required and I can't recall offhand what size the nuts are.
This is only true on 1991-1997's. 1998-2002 is in the back next to the tank. And costs a lot more $$$$.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
dabatman99

Thank you gentlemen, especially you OldNuc, you have all saved me time and have pointed me in a good direction. I love these forums, I just wish the internet was around 20 years ago, imagine where we would all be now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Telnet and Tymenet existed in the early 80s and single line BBS. But the graphics did not start to show till the 90s. Its a good example of exponential growth though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

For what it's worth I shy away from Fram. I have had very good luck with the Wix fuel filter from RockAuto. You have to reuse the bracket and clips, but it's only $55.79 before shipping. Here's the link http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6200 and you can use discount code 13418151044670 to save 5%. Just use this number where it asks where did you hear about RockAuto at checkout.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I used the same filter and had 58 psi key on engine off fuel pressure and a P0172. You might want to check your fuel pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #17
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Old Nuc their is 2 versions of that filter, the one for the 2.2L Flex fuel is set at a higher pressure. The right aftermarket one is actually available through GKIndustries, Part#GF1846. If you use the 2.2L you will suffer from much higher fuel pressure. NAPA among others stocks the proper one.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That does come up as the correct part. Also crosses to a WIX 33931. Neither one is listed at RockAuto and FRAM does not list a cross either so this is most likely the right part.

Good information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!